Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• neill_m
    replied
    The author of that piece is well known in NZ for the wrong reasons. He is referring to the Toni Pulu case, who has just joined the Brumbies from the Chiefs and has been declared eligible to play for the Aussies (also able to play for US and NZ).

Where it relates to Nacewa is that Pulu played 7s for Niue which should have tied him to that power house of world rugby, but he was not deemed to be "captured" as he had played for them without having any right to do so, someone assumed he had a granny from there etc. WR thus said he was free to play for Australia.

Leave a comment:

• Miguel Sanchez
    replied
    Picture is amazingly like Doug Howlett.

Leave a comment:

• Sulla
    replied
    Did his Mam write that?

Leave a comment:

• i_like_cake
    replied
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/new...ectid=12103333

Leave a comment:

• bruffian
    replied
    Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson

Anybody seen a list of Fiji and/or Samoa squads that shows the players clubs?

Also slightily suprised Samoa are shorter odds than Fiji to qualify for quarters in World Cup, 7/1as compared to 9/1.

Not too shocking. Id rate them very closely.

A full strength Samoan team would be very strong. The Tuilagis, Lavea,Johnson,Mapasua, Williams etc.

Leave a comment:

• AdolphusGrigson
    replied

Anybody seen a list of Fiji and/or Samoa squads that shows the players clubs?

Also slightily suprised Samoa are shorter odds than Fiji to qualify for quarters in World Cup, 7/1as compared to 9/1.

Leave a comment:

• bruffian
    replied

Originally posted by Drick
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugb...lsh/13735448.s tm

Isa Nacewa and Jone Qovu reject Fiji World Cup chance

Wales will not have to face Isa Nacewa at the Rugby World Cup after he and number eight Jone Qovu turned down the chance to play for Fiji.
    Leinster's Nacewa scored two tries in the Barbarians' 31-28 victory over Wales at the Millennium Stadium last Saturday, including the late winner.
    Afterwards the full-back admitted he had not decided on whether he would be available for the tournament.

But Nacewa has confimed his absence on the Fiji Rugby Union website.
    He said: "My pregnant wife and my twin girls are my number one priority at the moment, however I wish the Fiji team and management all the best in the
    exciting year that follows and especially at the Rugby World Cup.
    "Fiji has a competitive team at the World Cup and one that will go a long way."
    Nacewa became the first foreigner to be voted Ireland Player of the Year for his efforts in helping Leinster win the Heineken Cup last season.

Racing Metro 92's Qovu also cited personal reasons for his decision.
    "My wife is pregnant and my main focus now is looking after her," Qovu said.
    "I am at ease with this decision as I know there are more than enough players around who can replace me."

Fiji coach Sam Domoni was sympathetic to the duo, saying: "Players, like Nacewa and Qovu, need to look after their young family's welfare and that's a
    priority for any player.
    "The decision they've made is respected and we now need to move forward as a team with the players we have got."
    Fiji kick off their Pacific Nations Cup campaign against Tonga at Lautoka's Churchill Park on 2 July. Another of Wales' World Cup opponents Samoa face Japan
    in the four-nation tournament's opening round.

Well the loss of Qovu isnt massive as they have numerous top class back rowers(Koyamibole,Talei and Qera), but Nacewa could have helped a lot.

Leave a comment:

• The Word Is Born
    replied
    Bloody women getting themselves up the duff to stop the men going to RWC.

Leave a comment:

• ick
    replied
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugb...lsh/13735448.s tm

Isa Nacewa and Jone Qovu reject Fiji World Cup chance

Wales will not have to face Isa Nacewa at the Rugby World Cup after he and number eight Jone Qovu turned down the chance to play for Fiji.
    Leinster's Nacewa scored two tries in the Barbarians' 31-28 victory over Wales at the Millennium Stadium last Saturday, including the late winner.
    Afterwards the full-back admitted he had not decided on whether he would be available for the tournament.

But Nacewa has confimed his absence on the Fiji Rugby Union website.
    He said: "My pregnant wife and my twin girls are my number one priority at the moment, however I wish the Fiji team and management all the best in the
    exciting year that follows and especially at the Rugby World Cup.
    "Fiji has a competitive team at the World Cup and one that will go a long way."
    Nacewa became the first foreigner to be voted Ireland Player of the Year for his efforts in helping Leinster win the Heineken Cup last season.

Racing Metro 92's Qovu also cited personal reasons for his decision.
    "My wife is pregnant and my main focus now is looking after her," Qovu said.
    "I am at ease with this decision as I know there are more than enough players around who can replace me."

Fiji coach Sam Domoni was sympathetic to the duo, saying: "Players, like Nacewa and Qovu, need to look after their young family's welfare and that's a
    priority for any player.
    "The decision they've made is respected and we now need to move forward as a team with the players we have got."
    Fiji kick off their Pacific Nations Cup campaign against Tonga at Lautoka's Churchill Park on 2 July. Another of Wales' World Cup opponents Samoa face Japan
    in the four-nation tournament's opening round.

Leave a comment:

• bruffian
    replied
    Originally posted by Tobyglen
    Originally posted by bruffian

Refusing to play
    for his country, saying his biggest regret was playing for
    Fiji & now saying Wales are a huge force & will have little
    problem seeing of Fiji. New low for rugby, this guy is as
    bad as any chavball merchant. Nacewa does not foresee
    Fiji creating another shock result in New Zealand and
    believes Wales can be World Cup contenders. "Once the
    Welsh squad get all their players back and get a bit of time
    together I think they are going to be a huge force to be
    reckoned with," added Nacewa. "There are a lot of players
    out at the moment. When they come good I think they will
    be right there come World Cup time."

The thing is,its isnt "his" country.

The guy was born and reared in NZ. Its understandable
    if he doesnt have a massive attachment to Fiji.

That one cap stopped him getting the cap he really
    wanted for NZ.

Can a man fish in peace these days?

Ah, now I feel sily...[img]smileys/redface.gif[/img]

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by bruffian

Refusing to play
    for his country, saying his biggest regret was playing for
    Fiji & now saying Wales are a huge force & will have little
    problem seeing of Fiji. New low for rugby, this guy is as
    bad as any chavball merchant. Nacewa does not foresee
    Fiji creating another shock result in New Zealand and
    believes Wales can be World Cup contenders. "Once the
    Welsh squad get all their players back and get a bit of time
    together I think they are going to be a huge force to be
    reckoned with," added Nacewa. "There are a lot of players
    out at the moment. When they come good I think they will
    be right there come World Cup time."

The thing is,its isnt "his" country.

The guy was born and reared in NZ. Its understandable
    if he doesnt have a massive attachment to Fiji.

That one cap stopped him getting the cap he really
    wanted for NZ.
    Can a man fish in peace these days?

Leave a comment:

• The Blackness
    replied
    Originally posted by Balla Boy

Originally posted by scotscor
    How many players in the NZ squad (or alternatively who have played for the AB's in the last two years) were actually born or raised outside of NZ?
    I could be wrong, but my understanding is that its actually very low.

Raised is the key distinction, I think. Several moved with their parents to NZ at a young age - sometimes very young. Off the top of my head there's only really Sivivatu who was "poached" in the way some people imagine.

Someone else did point to a slightly different issue, though, of private schools in NZ headhunting young players and offering them scholarships to boost the sporting creds of their schools (which are a key element of their ability to charge fees).

Not sure how you'd get the info, but I reckon there's more of a story in that than there is in the idea that NZ are straight out poaching Islanders. England leave them in the hapenny place for soaking up overseas talent.

Balla is right, Sivivatu is the only one of the marquee players that didn't come through the schools and youths setup, most of the players that qualify for the Islands as well do so through parents and grandparents in many cases.

A small number are brought into the Super teams in the same way that the provinces in Ireland have 'project' players.

Leave a comment:

• bruffian
    replied

England

Both Armitages: Born In Trinidad, raised in France

Simon Shaw: Born in Kenya

Paul Doran-Jones:Born in Ireland?

Alex Corbisiero: Born in the US

Matt Stevens,Fourie,: Born in South Africa

Dylan Hartley,Riki Flutey, Shontayne Hape,Perry Freshwater: Born in New Zealand

Lesley Vainikolo: Born in Tonga

Phil Christophers: Born in Germany

Leave a comment:

• NotreDameRFC
    replied

The Aussies have a couple as well

Huai Edmonds , Quade Cooper, Dean Mummborn in NZ

Will Genia - Papua New Guinea

David Pocock - Zimbabwe

Leave a comment:

• scotscor
    replied

Originally posted by Balla Boy

Originally posted by scotscor
    How many players in the NZ squad (or alternatively who have played for the AB's in the last two years) were actually born or raised outside of NZ?
    I could be wrong, but my understanding is that its actually very low.

Raised is the key distinction, I think. Several moved with their parents to NZ at a young age - sometimes very young. Off the top of my head there's only really Sivivatu who was "poached" in the way some people imagine.

Someone else did point to a slightly different issue, though, of private schools in NZ headhunting young players and offering them scholarships to boost the sporting creds of their schools (which are a key element of their ability to charge fees).

Not sure how you'd get the info, but I reckon there's more of a story in that than there is in the idea that NZ are straight out poaching Islanders. England leave them in the hapenny place for soaking up overseas talent.
    Just found another link.
    From a quick scan whe Ireland played NZ we apparently had more overseas born players in the squad than NZ did. Kaino arrived at 6, Mils at 2. While we had Court, ROG and Heaslip.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X