Nacewa for Fiji

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scotscor
    How many players in the NZ squad (or alternatively who have played for the AB's in the last two years) were actually born or raised outside of NZ?
    I could be wrong, but my understanding is that its actually very low.

Just saw this when searching:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/9237291.stm

It says in the 2010 squad only four were born outside, including mils who moved there when he was 2.

Kaino was born in American Samao of all place...Rokocoko - in Fiji, Toeava in Samoa , Mils in Samao as well, and Sivivatu in Fiji as well......

Any decent winger!![img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]

edit - As balla pointed out born and raised 2 different things.... not sure the status af any of those guys.

I think the fact New Zealand never having sent an international team to play/tour , Fiji, Samoa or Tonga lend credence to the unfair argument of NZ "poaching" players from there
    "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy

How many players in the NZ squad (or alternatively who have played for the AB's in the last two years) were actually born or raised outside of NZ?

Raised is the key distinction, I think. Several moved with their parents to NZ at a young age - sometimes very young. Off the top of my head there's only really Sivivatu who was "poached" in the way some people imagine.

Someone else did point to a slightly different issue, though, of private schools in NZ headhunting young players and offering them scholarships to boost the sporting creds of their schools (which are a key element of their ability to charge fees).

Not sure how you'd get the info, but I reckon there's more of a story in that than there is in the idea that NZ are straight out poaching Islanders. England leave them in the hapenny place for soaking up overseas talent.
      Just found another link.
      From a quick scan whe Ireland played NZ we apparently had more overseas born players in the squad than NZ did. Kaino arrived at 6, Mils at 2. While we had Court, ROG and Heaslip.

Seven social sins: politics without principles, wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice

Comment

The Aussies have a couple as well

Huai Edmonds , Quade Cooper, Dean Mummborn in NZ

Will Genia - Papua New Guinea

David Pocock - Zimbabwe
        "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

Comment

England

Both Armitages: Born In Trinidad, raised in France

Simon Shaw: Born in Kenya

Paul Doran-Jones:Born in Ireland?

Alex Corbisiero: Born in the US

Matt Stevens,Fourie,: Born in South Africa

Dylan Hartley,Riki Flutey, Shontayne Hape,Perry Freshwater: Born in New Zealand

Lesley Vainikolo: Born in Tonga

Phil Christophers: Born in Germany

g\'wan bruff!!

``The answer is not heavy- handed regulations that crush the entrepreneurial spirit and risk- taking of American capitalism. That\'s what\'s made our economy great.\"
          -Barack Obama

\"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics\"
          -thomas sowell

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy

Raised is the key distinction, I think. Several moved with their parents to NZ at a young age - sometimes very young. Off the top of my head there's only really Sivivatu who was "poached" in the way some people imagine.

Someone else did point to a slightly different issue, though, of private schools in NZ headhunting young players and offering them scholarships to boost the sporting creds of their schools (which are a key element of their ability to charge fees).

Not sure how you'd get the info, but I reckon there's more of a story in that than there is in the idea that NZ are straight out poaching Islanders. England leave them in the hapenny place for soaking up overseas talent.

Balla is right, Sivivatu is the only one of the marquee players that didn't come through the schools and youths setup, most of the players that qualify for the Islands as well do so through parents and grandparents in many cases.

A small number are brought into the Super teams in the same way that the provinces in Ireland have 'project' players.

Comment

Originally posted by bruffian

Originally posted by Tobyglen
              Refusing to play
              for his country, saying his biggest regret was playing for
              Fiji & now saying Wales are a huge force & will have little
              problem seeing of Fiji. New low for rugby, this guy is as
              bad as any chavball merchant. Nacewa does not foresee
              Fiji creating another shock result in New Zealand and
              believes Wales can be World Cup contenders. "Once the
              Welsh squad get all their players back and get a bit of time
              together I think they are going to be a huge force to be
              reckoned with," added Nacewa. "There are a lot of players
              out at the moment. When they come good I think they will
              be right there come World Cup time."

The thing is,its isnt "his" country.

The guy was born and reared in NZ. Its understandable
              if he doesnt have a massive attachment to Fiji.

That one cap stopped him getting the cap he really
              wanted for NZ.
              Can a man fish in peace these days?

Comment

Originally posted by bruffian

Refusing to play
                for his country, saying his biggest regret was playing for
                Fiji & now saying Wales are a huge force & will have little
                problem seeing of Fiji. New low for rugby, this guy is as
                bad as any chavball merchant. Nacewa does not foresee
                Fiji creating another shock result in New Zealand and
                believes Wales can be World Cup contenders. "Once the
                Welsh squad get all their players back and get a bit of time
                together I think they are going to be a huge force to be
                reckoned with," added Nacewa. "There are a lot of players
                out at the moment. When they come good I think they will
                be right there come World Cup time."

The thing is,its isnt "his" country.

The guy was born and reared in NZ. Its understandable
                if he doesnt have a massive attachment to Fiji.

That one cap stopped him getting the cap he really
                wanted for NZ.

Can a man fish in peace these days?

Ah, now I feel sily...[img]smileys/redface.gif[/img]
                g\'wan bruff!!

``The answer is not heavy- handed regulations that crush the entrepreneurial spirit and risk- taking of American capitalism. That\'s what\'s made our economy great.\"
                -Barack Obama

\"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics\"
                -thomas sowell

Comment

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugb...lsh/13735448.s tm

Isa Nacewa and Jone Qovu reject Fiji World Cup chance

Wales will not have to face Isa Nacewa at the Rugby World Cup after he and number eight Jone Qovu turned down the chance to play for Fiji.
                  Leinster's Nacewa scored two tries in the Barbarians' 31-28 victory over Wales at the Millennium Stadium last Saturday, including the late winner.
                  Afterwards the full-back admitted he had not decided on whether he would be available for the tournament.

But Nacewa has confimed his absence on the Fiji Rugby Union website.
                  He said: "My pregnant wife and my twin girls are my number one priority at the moment, however I wish the Fiji team and management all the best in the
                  exciting year that follows and especially at the Rugby World Cup.
                  "Fiji has a competitive team at the World Cup and one that will go a long way."
                  Nacewa became the first foreigner to be voted Ireland Player of the Year for his efforts in helping Leinster win the Heineken Cup last season.

Racing Metro 92's Qovu also cited personal reasons for his decision.
                  "My wife is pregnant and my main focus now is looking after her," Qovu said.
                  "I am at ease with this decision as I know there are more than enough players around who can replace me."

Fiji coach Sam Domoni was sympathetic to the duo, saying: "Players, like Nacewa and Qovu, need to look after their young family's welfare and that's a
                  priority for any player.
                  "The decision they've made is respected and we now need to move forward as a team with the players we have got."
                  Fiji kick off their Pacific Nations Cup campaign against Tonga at Lautoka's Churchill Park on 2 July. Another of Wales' World Cup opponents Samoa face Japan
                  in the four-nation tournament's opening round.

Comment

Bloody women getting themselves up the duff to stop the men going to RWC.

The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Originally posted by Drick
                      http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugb...lsh/13735448.s tm

Isa Nacewa and Jone Qovu reject Fiji World Cup chance

Wales will not have to face Isa Nacewa at the Rugby World Cup after he and number eight Jone Qovu turned down the chance to play for Fiji.
                      Leinster's Nacewa scored two tries in the Barbarians' 31-28 victory over Wales at the Millennium Stadium last Saturday, including the late winner.
                      Afterwards the full-back admitted he had not decided on whether he would be available for the tournament.

But Nacewa has confimed his absence on the Fiji Rugby Union website.
                      He said: "My pregnant wife and my twin girls are my number one priority at the moment, however I wish the Fiji team and management all the best in the
                      exciting year that follows and especially at the Rugby World Cup.
                      "Fiji has a competitive team at the World Cup and one that will go a long way."
                      Nacewa became the first foreigner to be voted Ireland Player of the Year for his efforts in helping Leinster win the Heineken Cup last season.

Racing Metro 92's Qovu also cited personal reasons for his decision.
                      "My wife is pregnant and my main focus now is looking after her," Qovu said.
                      "I am at ease with this decision as I know there are more than enough players around who can replace me."

Fiji coach Sam Domoni was sympathetic to the duo, saying: "Players, like Nacewa and Qovu, need to look after their young family's welfare and that's a
                      priority for any player.
                      "The decision they've made is respected and we now need to move forward as a team with the players we have got."
                      Fiji kick off their Pacific Nations Cup campaign against Tonga at Lautoka's Churchill Park on 2 July. Another of Wales' World Cup opponents Samoa face Japan
                      in the four-nation tournament's opening round.

Well the loss of Qovu isnt massive as they have numerous top class back rowers(Koyamibole,Talei and Qera), but Nacewa could have helped a lot.
                      g\'wan bruff!!

-Barack Obama

-thomas sowell

Comment

Anybody seen a list of Fiji and/or Samoa squads that shows the players clubs?

Also slightily suprised Samoa are shorter odds than Fiji to qualify for quarters in World Cup, 7/1as compared to 9/1.

​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
                        AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson

Anybody seen a list of Fiji and/or Samoa squads that shows the players clubs?

Also slightily suprised Samoa are shorter odds than Fiji to qualify for quarters in World Cup, 7/1as compared to 9/1.

Not too shocking. Id rate them very closely.

A full strength Samoan team would be very strong. The Tuilagis, Lavea,Johnson,Mapasua, Williams etc.
                          g\'wan bruff!!

-Barack Obama

-thomas sowell

Comment

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/new...ectid=12103333

He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Did his Mam write that?
                              Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Picture is amazingly like Doug Howlett.
                                Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                                Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Working...
                                X