No announcement yet.

Nacewa for Fiji

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nalaga is selected[img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]. Great, he's worth the admission into the RDS alone for that IRL game.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again (like picking Gordon D'Arcy) and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

No Nagusa? He has done pretty well this season.

Comment

In a related matter Denis O'Brien offered Samoa funding to help keep players from joining NZ. Did anything happen with this? Are digicel opperating in Fiji? Does Fiji have an equivalent to Michael Lowry and if so is he interested in rugby?

Comment

I think its nonsense the IRB constantly harping on about spreading rugby and increasing the number of competitive nations like US and Canada while ignoring countries where rugby is the national sport like Fiji, Samoa and Tonga .The Pacific Islands should enter the Tri Nations when Argentina join- imagine South Africa playing in Suva or New Zealand in Samoa. I agree Fiji will be the dark horse for a semifinal spot in 2011 if they get a decent tight five they'll be some team

Comment

Originally posted by mighty red
            I think its nonsense the IRB constantly harping on about spreading rugby and increasing the number of competitive nations like US and Canada while ignoring countries where rugby is the national sport like Fiji, Samoa and Tonga .The Pacific Islands should enter the Tri Nations when Argentina join- imagine South Africa playing in Suva or New Zealand in Samoa. I agree Fiji will be the dark horse for a semifinal spot in 2011 if they get a decent tight five they'll be some team</span>
            they often make up for a lack of tactical nous with a very expansive game and natural skill and power. usually lets them down at some point though. any signs this has changed?
            "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie Mac
              In a related matter Denis O'Brien offered Samoa funding to help keep players from joining NZ. Did anything happen with this? Are digicel opperating in Fiji? Does Fiji have an equivalent to Michael Lowry and if so is he interested in rugby?
              iirc digicell are (or were) the main sponsor of Fiji
              "If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards - checkmate!" Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Just imagine a backline of

15. Nacewa, 14. Delasau, 13. Ratuvou, 12. Bai, 11. Nalaga, 10. Little, 9. Rauluni.

Serious talent there. Thats even without the likes of Nagusa and Kunavore. There is serious talent in the islands alright. Really hope the IRB can help them progress over the next 2 years and hopefully at least one will make the quarters again in 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugged Rugger
                  Originally posted by mighty red
                  I think its nonsense the IRB constantly harping on about spreading rugby and increasing the number of competitive nations like US and Canada while ignoring countries where rugby is the national sport like Fiji, Samoa and Tonga .The Pacific Islands should enter the Tri Nations when Argentina join- imagine South Africa playing in Suva or New Zealand in Samoa. I agree Fiji will be the dark horse for a semifinal spot in 2011 if they get a decent tight five they'll be some team

they often make up for a lack of tactical nous with a very expansive game and natural skill and power. usually lets them down at some point though. any signs this has changed?

True but there were promising signs last RWC. Eliminating Wales and almost beating SA in the qtrs. You know outside the top 8 ranked teams, Fiji are be far the most dangerous. Italy or scotland wouldn't have anything like theexplosive talent available to them as Fiji.
                  Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again (like picking Gordon D'Arcy) and expecting different results.
                  Albert Einstein

Comment

<DIV ="mxb">
                    <H1>Manu's future undecided - Davies</H1>
                    <H1>New Zealand-born Maori international Manu, 30, is eligible for Wales because of the three-year residency rule, after joining the Scarlets in 2006. </H1></DIV>

The Scarlets say they would prefer him to opt for Wales than Fiji, but they will respect the decision he makes.

"Fiji are chasing hard and Wales have certainly shown an interest [in Manu]," said Davies of the tight-head.

"He's got a lot of decisions to make and that's testimony to the way Deacon has been playing.

"He's very important to us, having lost [Wales and Scarlets tight-head prop] Rhys Thomas for 10 or 11 weeks [with a toe injury].

"Deacon will decide over the next couple of weeks the best course of action for him and for us."

Davies says it would be best for the Scarlets if he chose not to play international rugby at all, but that they would prefer him to choose Wales and stay in the local environment if he wants to go for a Test place.
                    <DIV ="videoInStoryC">
                    <DIV id=emp_8319493 ="emp">
                    <DIV ="warning">"Obviously we don't want to raise our quota of non-Welsh qualified players, but ultimately it's not our choice," said Davies. </DIV></DIV></DIV>

"It's his decision, obviously we have our own agenda, but ultimately we'll support whatever [he decides]."

Manu, whose mother is Fijian, was named in the islanders' squad to tour Europe days after saying it would be a "huge honour" to be called up by Wales.

"We're delighted Deacon Manu has finally put his hand up for Fiji, look around there's no better tight-head prop than him available to represent Fiji," said Fiji selector Mosese Taga.

"It's a very crucial position and if we want to win our own balls we need a good tight-head otherwise we'll continue to struggle to win our own ball."

Wales coach Warren Gatland names his squad for the four-Test autumn series this Sunday.

"Playing for Wales would be a huge honour," Manu told BBC Sport Wales last Saturday.
                    <DIV>
                    <DIV ="mva">
                    <DIV id=q2></DIV></DIV></DIV>
                    <DIV ="mva">
                    <DIV ="mva">"I know the passion behind the Welsh culture in rugby is huge. It's very similar to New Zealand." </DIV></DIV>

Wales are short of tight-heads, with first-choice Adam Jones out of the whole Test series with a shoulder injury.

Manu's Scarlets team-mate Rhys Thomas is injured, while Cardiff Blues' John Yapp has been ruled out for most of the season by a torn biceps.

But pushing for a call is Sale's Eifion Lewis-Roberts, who built on his strong start to the season by playing a key role in the Heineken Cup win over the Blues last Friday.

Other possible contenders include Craig Mitchell, Darren Morris, Gary Powell and Ceri Jones.

If picked for Wales, Manu would follow in the footsteps of Australian Brent Cockbain and South African Hal Luscombe as foreigners who played for Wales after qualifying through residency.
                    <DIV ="sihf"></DIV></></></T></>

But Manu would not go as far as saying he would play for Wales if he was given the call.

"I haven't really thought much about it," he added.

"I'm just trying to make sure I start week-in, week-out and cement my place in the Scarlets.

"I just have to get selected for that and I'm not sure where I'm sitting at the moment in terms of the ranking of props.

"I'd have to make that decision [to play] when it comes to it."

Wales host New Zealand on 7 November, before playing in successive weeks against Samoa, Argentina and finally Australia on 28 November.

Fiji's tour of Europe sees them face Scotland on 14 November, Ireland on 21 November and Romania on 28 November
                    Albert Einstein

Comment

dont know if fiji can be called 'dark horses' anymore. they might be down on the list of world rankings butid prefer irelandto meet eng, scot, or wales in the world cup quarters, ratherthan the fijians.

dont know whether they'll have all their players available, but i can see this fixture being at least as tough as the aussiesin november.

Comment

Any truth in this I wonder or is it just some barstooling?

Beeb

Isa Nacewa unsure over World Cup role with Fiji</font>

Barbarians hero Isa Nacewa does not know if he will be lining up for Fiji against Wales in the World Cup later this year.

Nacewa scored two tries in the Baa-Baas' 31-28 victory over Wales at the Millennium Stadium.

But the Leinster full-back, capped once by Fiji, has not yet decided whether to make himself available for the World Cup.

"It's been a long season so I've got a few decisions to make," Nacewa said.

"It's a decision I will be making over the next couple of weeks as to whether I get involved or not."

Nacewa was a member of Fiji's World Cup squad in 2003 and won his only cap as a replacement against Scotland.

In 2006 the Auckland-born player tried to switch allegiances from Fiji to New Zealand in order to represent the All Blacks.

However the International Rugby Board deemed his World Cup appearance made him ineligible to represent the country of his birth.

Since 2008 Nacewa has played for Leinster and has twice lifted the Heineken Cup with the Irish province.

And Nacewa has said he doubts whether his commitments with Leinster will allow him to take part in the World Cup.

"They [Fiji] have got a good squad anyway so I'll make an informed decision over the next couple of weeks," he said.

"I have made a huge commitment to Leinster.

"Without our internationals at the start of next season it's going to be a tough ask for a lot of our younger guys.

"I think they are expecting me to be around and it's something I'll uphold if they want me to."

Wales will face Fiji in a World Cup pool match at the Waikato Stadium in Hamilton on 2 October, hoping history does not repeat itself.

Gareth Jenkins' side were famously eliminated from the competition four years ago after they lost 38-34 against the Fijians in Nantes.

But Nacewa does not foresee Fiji creating another shock result in New Zealand and believes Wales can be World Cup contenders.

"Once the Welsh squad get all their players back and get a bit of time together I think they are going to be a huge force to be reckoned with," added Nacewa.

"There are a lot of players out at the moment. When they come good I think they will be right there come World Cup time."

The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

The way Fiji give a token cap to young New Zealanders that later prevent them playing for the country of their birth is a disgrace [img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]
                          "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy

The way Fiji give a token cap to young New Zealanders that later
                            prevent them playing for the country of their birth is a disgrace
                            [img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]
                            true. is it any wonder nz cant win the world cup.
                            Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

Comment

I assume Leinster will allow him go to the RWC, it'd be
                              shocking if they tried to put club interests ahead of the RWC.
                              It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyFantastic
                                I assume Leinster will allow him go to the RWC, it'd be
                                shocking if they tried to put club interests ahead of the RWC.

I'm not sure I could back this up, but the Premiership has thrown upa few instances of Islanders making a decision as to whether or not to play international rugby over the last few years.

I don't know if it's an inaccurate impression, or down to season issues or what but they do sometimes seem to be fairly relaxed about their international careers.

I can't remember, for instance, any instances of the Island unions having to push for the release of internationals from Premiership clubs in the way that England have over the last few seasons.

Alesana Tuliagi, for instance, has 21 caps for Samoa according to Wiki. Caucaunibuca's level of disinterest in international rugby is legendary. Rabeni has 27 caps for Fiji.

"We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Working...
                                X