X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On A Positive Note For Club Rugby

It seems it's not all doom and gloom inenglish rugby

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mai...l=/sport/2006/ 12/07/srmick07.xml

The french and english leagues are around a long time. The ML is very new by comparison and is improving year on yearespeciallyin terms ofattendances.

My computer thinks I'm gay
    What's the difference anyway
    When all the people do all day
    Is stare into a phone

Comment

That is good, i think the Premierships points and try count being better than the ML is due to the ML being a closer competition though. 7 of the 11 teams in the ML could seriously challenge for the title. With a competition that close, and no real whipping boys, the points and try average will be a bit lower

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry-Exile
        That is good, i think the Premierships points and try count being better than the ML is due to the ML being a closer competition though. 7 of the 11 teams in the ML could seriously challenge for the title. With a competition that close, and no real whipping boys, the points and try average will be a bit lower
        Well there is a simple reason why there is more tries. They play more games.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate
          Originally posted by Kerry-Exile
          Well there is a simple reason why there is more tries. They play more games.

Those figures are an average of tries per game. If you extended the ML season I bet it wouldn't change the tries per game stat very much at all.

Comment

It's very easy to trot out statistics to support any side of an argument. They might score more tries per game in the GP but that doesn't mean they're good tries. My club got beaten by30 points last weekend ([img]smileys/sad.gif[/img]) and there were loads of tries in the game but I wouldn't say the standard of either side was exactly world class!

If the GP was producing good players, England would have agood team playing attractive rugbywith lots of promising young talent also coming through (a bit like us). They don't.

If the GP was as competitive and high quality as they claim then more than a handful of English clubs (Wasps, Tigers andGloucester) would be challenging for honours in the HEC each year.

The fans might say that they enjoy watching the GP but again, it's all relative. Many wouldtellyouthat in its heyday the AIL was great to watch and that they were happy with it thenbut that doesn't mean it was good enough to produce international players for todays arena.

The problem for the RFU is not that the GP isn't entertaining, competitive, high scoring or a good "product", it's that it is not producing players that are good enough for the top level. They haven't spoken to Premier Rugby because they know the answer they'll get:

"The solution to all the game's problems is to give us more control of everything. Give us more money. Stop taking our players. Leave the GP alone, we love it how it is. The international game doesn't matter anymore, the clubs is where it's at now. Give us more money. We want to be like football, look how great that is. Did we mention that we'd like more money? We'd also like more power. Money! Power! Money! Power! Mine mine mine! Gimme gimme gimme! etc."

Comment

To be fair a few of those young Gloucester backs look like they could be pretty handy, along with Tait and Ward-Smith... so they do have a bit of young talent coming though.

I agree though it is trying to gloss over the fact English rugby is going to the dogs at the moment. For every decent player there's a load of not so decent ones and I suppose it brings down the quality of the game over there.

Comment

Originally posted by danthefan
                To be fair a few of those young Gloucester backs look like they could be pretty handy, along with Tait and Ward-Smith... so they do have a bit of young talent coming though.

I agree though it is trying to gloss over the fact English rugby is going to the dogs at the moment. For every decent player there's a load of not so decent ones and I suppose it brings down the quality of the game over there.

They have potential all right but its going to take them a couple of seasons to start getting results. Not sure the british public will give them that time. Would add Flood, Lund, JSDand Varndell to that list. Where the great english forwards are gone to no one knows.

Is stare into a phone

Comment

Yeah they were just the first ones that came to mind. Quite a lot of potential in the backs then.

Comment

Lets not forget the GP produced a side that won the RWC countless 6n titles and a Grand Slam

Comment

Originally posted by epaddy
                      Lets not forget the GP produced a side that won the RWC countless 6n titles and a Grand Slam

That was b/4 the english club owners decided to fill their teams with cheap foreign imports. The number of foreigners playing over there is bound to have an impact and the club owners have no incentive to hire english players who will play most of their games in a white jersey.

It was also b/4this ridicilous play off situation where they only need to come top four and then peak at the end of the season.
                      Is stare into a phone

Comment

The poll was conducted by 'Premier Rugby'!!! How strange that it is good news for the GP.

Comment

I received that poll (having had a season ticket for Quins the year before last I'm still on their mailing list). It wasn't exactly what I'd call balanced qualitative market research. More along the lines of:

How much do you love the GP?

a. Alot.

b. Like a son.

c. More than life itself.

Well, maybe that's an exageration but it wasn't exactly looking for negative feedback.

Anyway, it's a thriving and popular league, no question about that. I just don't think it's the best thing for English rugby asa whole. Too many games, too many imports, too much self-interest, questionable quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy

How much do you love the GP?

a. Alot.

b. Like a son.

c. More than life itself.

Well, maybe that's an exageration but it wasn't exactly looking for negative feedback.
                            [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img][img]smileys/lol.gif[/img][img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]
                            He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Wasn't there a comment on one of the Hook & Pope roadshows about how many players in GP were actually english. I seem to remember it being a shockingly small number, something like 400 maybe ? Or maybe that was british players, I dunno but I do remember the reaction on the forum when the number was mentioned.

General shock, and a realisation - "so that's why the english team is gone to the pits "
                              Plato: \"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.\"

Comment

Working...
                              X