• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The least important game of the year

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/6208444.stm
    <DIV ="logo"></DIV>
    <DIV ="line">Roff relishes Varsity challenge </DIV>

World Cup winner Joe Roff will lead Oxford's bid for Varsity glory against Cambridge at Twickenham on 12 December.

Roff, who quit Test rugby in 2004 with 86 Wallaby caps, will be one of three Oxford players in the side who hail from the Marist College in Canberra.

He will start at outside centre next week alongside former schoolmates Jonny O'Connor and fly-half Craig McMahon.

"The match has always had something special about it and it has really appealed to me," Roff said.
    <DIV ="bo">

Roff claimed a World Cup winners' medal in 1999 and helped the Wallabies to a series win over the Lions in 2001.

He signed off his Test career two years ago, aged just 29, and this year joined Oxford to study politics, philosophy and economics at Harris Manchester College.

</DIV>
    <DIV ="i">
    <TABLE><T><T>
    <T>
    <TR>
    <TD width=5></TD>
    <TD ="fact"><!-Smva->To play in the Varsity match is one of the great boxes to tick in rugby
    <!-Emva-><!-Smva-><!-Smva->Joe Roff <!-Emva-><!-Emva-></TD></TR></T></T></T></TABLE></DIV>
    <DIV ="bo">

Roff, O'Connor and McMahon follow in the path of Rob Egerton, another former Marist College old boy who played for Oxford in 1987 and 1988 before winning the World Cup with Australia in 1991.

"We are each from different generations of the same school," Roff added.

"I played a little bit with Jonny but unfortunately I'm old enough to have played most of my rugby with his brother Matt, who also played for Australia."

Playing in the Varsity Match has long been an ambition for Roff.

"If you talk to anyone who knows anything about rugby they know about this game, they know about the rivalry, the traditions and the history," he added.

"To be part of it is one of the great boxes you can get to tick in rugby."

Cambridge boast an ex-professional of their own in Jonny Ufton, the former Wasps player.

He will start his fourth Varsity match at fly-half, after helping the Light Blues to a 31-16 victory last year.

</DIV>
    <DIV ="footer">Story from BBC SPORT:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/spo...by_union/62084 44.stm

Published: 2006/12/04 23:26:47 GMT

© BBC MMVI
    </DIV>

<DIV =logo>
    <DIV =line>Roff relishes Varsity challenge </DIV>World Cup winner Joe Roff will lead Oxford's bid for Varsity glory against Cambridge at Twickenham on 12 December.

Roff, who quit Test rugby in 2004 with 86 Australia caps, will be one of three Oxford players in the side who hail from the Marist College in Canberra.

Cambridge boast an ex-professional of their own in Jonny Ufton, the former Wasps player.

He will start his fourth Varsity match at fly-half, after helping the Light Blues to a 31-16 victory last year.
    <DIV =bo>

Winger David Akinluyi, who was snapped up by Northampton after scoring in last year's Varsity Match, is back while New Zealander John Blaikie emulates his brother Duncan in captaining Cambridge at Twickenham.

In addition to Roff's experience Oxford can also call on former London Irish scrum-half Kevin Brennan, who captains the side.

Roff will start at outside centre next week alongside former schoolmates Jonny O'Connor and fly-half Craig McMahon.

</DIV>
    <DIV =i>
    <TABLE>
    <T>
    <TR>
    <TD width=5></TD>
    <TD =fact><!-Smva->To play in the Varsity match is one of the great boxes to tick in rugby
    <!-Emva-><!-Smva-><!-Smva->Joe Roff <!-Emva-><!-Emva-></TD></TR></T></TABLE></DIV>
    <DIV =bo>

"The match has always had something special about it and it has really appealed to me," Roff said.

Roff claimed a World Cup winners' medal in 1999 and helped the Wallabies to a series win over the Lions in 2001.

He signed off his Test career two years ago, aged just 29, and this year joined Oxford to study politics, philosophy and economics at Harris Manchester College.

Roff, O'Connor and McMahon follow in the path of Rob Egerton, another former Marist College old boy who played for Oxford in 1987 and 1988 before winning the World Cup with Australia in 1991.

"We are each from different generations of the same school," Roff added.

"I played a little bit with Jonny but unfortunately I'm old enough to have played most of my rugby with his brother Matt, who also played for Australia."

Playing in the Varsity Match has long been an ambition for Roff.

"If you talk to anyone who knows anything about rugby they know about this game, they know about the rivalry, the traditions and the history," he added.

"To be part of it is one of the great boxes you can get to tick in rugby."

Cambridge lead the 124-game series 58-52, with 14 draws.

Oxford: C Mahony (Wolfson); J Boto (University), J Roff (Harris Manchester), J O'Connor (Kellogg), T Tombleson (Wolfson); C McMahon (Linacre), K Brennan (Linacre, capt); O Tomaszczyk (Brasenose), W Cowie (Keble), R Matthews (Wadham), J Chance (Kellogg), D Alexander (Templeton), D Abbott (Linacre), D Palm (St Cross), J Jones (St Anne's).
    Replacements: D Rosen (Worcester), M McGillion (Greyfriars), R Graham (New), M Du Toit (Pembroke), P Jenkins (Keble), J Bucknall (Kellogg), T Catling (Pembroke).

Cambridge: H Murray (St Edmund's); D Tibbott (Sidney Sussex), J Ansbro (Robinson), S Thomas (Trinity), D Akinluyi (Christs); J Ufton (St Edmund's), R Blake (Hughes Hall); R Schwikkard (Hughes Hall), J Clark (St Edmund's), J Dawson (St Edmund's), J Blaikie (Hughes Hall, capt), M Harfoot (St Catharine's), N Johnson (Pembroke), D O'Brien (Hughes Hall), E Andrew (St John's).
    Replacements (from): T Woolsey (Queens), A Fitzpatrick (Gonville and Caius), T Boynton (Hughes Hall), R Bartholomew (Jesus), T Malaney (St Edmund's), R Evans (Hughes Hall), C Lewis (St Catharine's), D Stewart (Hughes Hall).
    </DIV></DIV>

Comment

Come on Cambridge !!!!!!
      \"As she lay there dozing next to me, one voice inside my head kept saying, \'Relax, you\'re not the first doctor to sleep with one of his patients\', but the another kept reminding me, \' you are a veterinarian!\'\"

Comment

May I just say

GWAN OXFORD
        @@@@SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 72pt">@@@@/SPAN>

Comment

Akinluyiout for Cambridge ...shame
          \"As she lay there dozing next to me, one voice inside my head kept saying, \'Relax, you\'re not the first doctor to sleep with one of his patients\', but the another kept reminding me, \' you are a veterinarian!\'\"

Comment

Originally posted by munsterbouy
            Akinluyiout for Cambridge ...shame

Excuses starting already....shame[img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

Hay makers flying left right and centre oxford number 5 binned

Comment

oxford giving away alot of penalties but ufton not converting.Penalty try to Cambridge

Comment

Penalty Oxford 3-7 Cambridge

Comment

6-7 cambridge Roff making himself known . Cambridge giving away penalties now .

Comment

6-10 Cambridge , far too many penalties being given away on each side lots of offside .H/T

Comment

what's the latest?

Comment

Try Cambridge 6-15

Comment

All over 6-15 Cambridge .......

Comment

Working...
                              X