Vaseline sales to rocket in Dublin in ’08

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vaseline sales to rocket in Dublin in ’08

@@@@SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Dublin to host gay rugby world cup@@@@/SPAN>
    Colin Coyle
    IRELAND has won the scrum to host the next gay rugby world cup in 2008. The biennial competition was awarded to Dublin at a meeting in Seattle of representatives from 30 countries. Paris and Sydney had been Ireland’s main rivals to host the Bingham Cup, a three-day competition.

Richie Whyte, the tournament director, said beating off Paris and Sydney was a huge achievement. “We had to compete with the natural attractions of two of the world’s greatest cities,” he said. Philip Browne, the chief executive of the Irish Rugby Football Union (IRFU), sent a message of support to the organising committee yesterday.

Nick Costello of the Emerald Warriors, Ireland’s first gay rugby team, formed in 2003, says about 2,000 players and supporters will visit Dublin. “It’s good news for rugby, the gay community and the city.”

The competition will be held in Dublin City University’s campus in Glasnevin in June 2008. “DCU is large enough to host an international event, but it has a campus feel about it, so it should generate a buzz,” Costello said.

The Emerald Warriors, still the country’s only gay team, represented Ireland in the last two tournaments. The 35-strong squad trains in Tallaght and is raising funds for a clubhouse.

The IRFU, which will provide all the match officials for the world cup, has credited the team with adding a “much needed vibrancy” to the game. The Warriors have also been praised for helping to transform the image of rugby from a sport solely for the “professional, macho middle classes”.

Costello said: “The club is gay-friendly but not exclusively gay.”

Paul O’Connor, formerly of Lansdowne and Leinster, was the first high-profile rugby player to “come out” in 2001. “Ultimately, people were very supportive,” he said after his retirement
    New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Can someone put the old dog down please.

Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

Comment

Who will lead the coming out parade however? [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Comment

This is the English disease: Homophobia.

If there are black, gay players with English accents playing, then I think the site will have to be renamed Carry On Munsterfans or Up the Heiny Ken.

Get over yourselves children!! And seniors!

Comment

[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

"Not exclusively gay" Hmmm, trying explaining you were straight while playing for emerald warriors! No one would believe you! [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

To see the light one must first realise it is dark

Comment

Originally posted by rathbaner
            This is the English disease: Homophobia.

If there are black, gay players with English accents then I think the site will have to be renamed Carry On Munsterfans or Up the Heiny Ken.

Get over yourselves children!! And seniors!

Where the homophobia? You may live in a world where you instinctively link vaseline with anal intercourse, but rugby players use it on their ears to prevent chafing.

The only thing thatI'm prejudiced against is stupid f**king PC morons like you.

New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Ouch!
              Have you taken this up with your therapist? And have you said Hello to "Sailor"?

I think you should come out OD. It would be yet another first for the site.

Comment

Less of the name calling please.
                It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

Comment

Originally posted by Old Dog

You may live in a world where you instinctively link vaseline with anal intercourse, but rugby players use it on their ears to prevent chafing.

This just gets kinkier and kinkier [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Down boy!

Comment

It looks like Slick is back with a new alias.

Comment

I don't want to lock this topic so can both of ye just quit bickering?
                      It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

Comment

Slick is back?

Puke smile?

Is this street slang from the 60s? You sly Old Dog.

Comment

Whoa, way too much testosterone here lads. As for hello sailor, rathbaner , rather curious that you used an Irish Merchant ship for your avatar? Hello sailor?
                          To see the light one must first realise it is dark

Comment

Originally posted by old dog
                            Richie Whyte, the tournament director, said beating off Paris and Sydney was a huge achievement.
                            The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
                            - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

My computer thinks I'm gay
                              What's the difference anyway
                              When all the people do all day
                              Is stare into a phone

Comment

Working...
                              X