• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leicester Tigers chase White Springbok

<H1>White sits easy in his job despite paper Tigers talk

Andy Colquhoun
    Wednesday November 29, 2006
    The Guardian </H1>

Leicester have been courting the South Africa coach Jake White to replace the Australia-bound Pat Howard next year. The Tigers are believed to have twice had discussions with White's representatives but the Springbok coach, whose contract expires after the 2007 World Cup, refuses to be drawn on the issue following the furore in South Africa when he was linked in the summer to the Rugby Football Union post of elite rugby director eventually filled by Rob Andrew. But he is likely to begin planning his post-World Cup career in the new year and a move to a top European club is likely to prove more appealing than staying in South African rugby's piranha-infested political waters.

< = =text/>

<!-

/* set the domain in anticipati&#111;n of the ad*/
    if(setDomainForAds) {
    setDomainForAds();
    };

//->

<DIV =hide_ id=spacedesc_mpu_div style="DISPLAY: n&#111;ne">
    <DIV =mpu_c&#111;ntinue>Article continues</DIV></IMG>
    <HR =mpu>

<DIV =hide_ id=spacedesc_mpu_ style="DISPLAY: n&#111;ne">< title=Advertisement marginWidth=0 marginHeight=0 src="http://ads.guardian.co.uk/.ng/s.richmedia=yes&amp;spacedesc=mpu&amp;site=Sport&a mp;navsecti&#111;n=3483&amp;secti&#111;n=108566&am p;country=irl&amp;rand=1024333" Border=0 width=300 scrolling=no height=250>

<a href="http://ads.guardian.co.uk/click.ng/Params.richmedia=yes&amp;spacedesc=mpu&amp;site=Sp ort&amp;navsecti&#111;n=3483&amp;secti&#111;n=1085 66&amp;country=irl&amp;rand=1024333" target="_blank">
    </A>
    </></DIV>
    <HR =mpu>
    <A name=article_c&#111;ntinue></A></DIV>

White was due to fly back to South Africa last night, confident that he would survive a vote of no confidence moved by members of the South African Rugby Football Union president's council. White expects to make the return flight from Cape Town - his side play a World XV in Leicester on Sunday - confirmed in his post until the end of the World Cup.

South Africa's 25-14 defeat of England at Twickenham on Saturday has strengthened the coach's hand. "The only feedback I have had in the last 24 hours is that the [Sarfu] president has come out in full support of me," he said. "He [Regan Hoskins] just thinks it's only fair that I should come back and face the president's council in person. I'm not going there with any diffidence. I don't see how they can sack me. I have got a plan and the plan has been signed off by those in authority."

White left a number of senior players out of the current tour in an attempt to develop young talent. "Would I have done that if I thought it would lead to me getting sacked?" he said. The Springboks were beaten 32-15 by Ireland and lost 23-21 in the first Test against England.

The vote of no confidence was tabled by the president of the Pretoria-based Blue Bulls Rugby Union and backed by an unknown number of others on the 17-man council. The responsibility for removing White lies with Sarfu's board of directors, some of whom sit on the council.

"

Well PH is a joke anyone could do a better job then that clown

Comment

A lot of Tigers fans had a huge amount of respect for Pat as a player, but feel we have underachieved during his time as coach. Opinions are split as to whether we would want him to stay, and also whether we should look 'internally' or 'externally' for his replacement. Personally, I find many of Pat's decisions rather curious.

White's CV is pretty impressive, and he would certainly be a heavyweight candidate for English club rugby's highest profile job.

Comment

What about Matt Williams?

My computer thinks I'm gay
        What's the difference anyway
        When all the people do all day
        Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by sewa

The Matt Williams that presided over the disintegration of the Scottish national side ? I can't say that he was on my radar [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by dailywaffle

The Matt Williams that presided over the disintegration of the Scottish national side ? I can't say that he was on my radar [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

He hasa very impressive CV. Might be better suited to the England job though. [img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]Either way he is a firm favourite here on Munsterfans.

Is stare into a phone

Comment

A semi mythical beast. Last seen riding a unicorn towards Atlantis.

Comment

He hasa very impressive CV. Might be better suited to the England job though.

Either way he is a firm favourite here on Munsterfans ever since he coached a14-man Leinster to a humiliating trashing of Munster in the Celtic League final.

I finished that off for you, sewa old chum. [img]smileys/badgrin.gif[/img]

New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Dog

He hasa very impressive CV. Might be better suited to the England job though.

Either way he is a firm favourite here on Munsterfans ever since he coached a14-man Leinster to a humiliating trashing of Munster in the Celtic League final.

I finished that off for you, sewa old chum. [img]smileys/badgrin.gif[/img]

Its good that an old man like you still has some happy memories to hold onto [img]smileys/thumb-up.gif[/img]

Is stare into a phone

Comment

You just can't beat having 32 Mbof RAM!
                    New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Is stare into a phone

Comment

<DIV>White safe in his South Africa job for now
                        RTE Sport</DIV>
                        <DIV></DIV>
                        <DIV>
                        South Africa coach Jake White will remain in his job after a meeting with the Presidents Council on Wednesday.
                        White has been under fire with leading provincial union the Blue Bulls, who placed a vote of no confidence in him last week, calling on him to resign with immediate effect.
                        However, the Springboks won the second Test against England at Twickenham on Saturday by a 25-14 margin to ease the pressure on the beleagured coach.
                        'I am pleased that the matter has been resolved,' White said.
                        He is now expected to lead the Boks through the 2007 Rugby World Cup.
                        Before that victory, South Africa had lost all of their Test matches on the road in 2006.
                        Home victories over Australia and New Zealand in the Tri-Nations in the summer had taken some of the heat off White but they started their European tour with a record 32-15 defeat to Ireland at Lansdowne Road and then went down 23-21 to England in the first Test in London earlier this month.
                        After hearing of the Blue Bulls' demand that he step down, White launched a stout defence of his record as Springbok coach and vowed to do everything to stay in his job.
                        Ironically, South Africa's victory over England in the second Test cost his counterpart Andy Robinson his job.</DIV>
                        <DIV></DIV>
                        <DIV></DIV>
                        <a href=\"http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/Ruck_You\" target=\"_blank\">
                        http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/default/Ruck%20You.jpg
                        </a>

If you’re fat stay in the ruck - Liam Toland

Comment

He will do well at the world cup I reckon... they will breeze through their group...
                          He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Dog

You just can't beat having 32 Mbof RAM!
                            I managed to inveigle a GB from PC wrold yesterday for a bargaintastic €99.

Somebody got a ticking for not pricing it correctly in the first place I'd imagine
                            Is minic a bhris béal duine a shróin

Comment

Originally posted by dailywaffle

The Matt Williams that presided over the disintegration of the Scottish national side ?* I can't say that he was on my radar [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

He has*a very impressive CV. Might be better suited to the England job though. [img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]*Either way he is a firm favourite here on Munsterfans.

While I don't think Matt Williams would suit Leicester, he isn't an awful coach. The stuff he had Leinster playing (with a relatively limited Leinster side) was great to watch, not his fault his players bottled it on their (then) biggest day out. He also coached Ireland A to a grand slam (I think). He is an excellant reader of the game too, his columns for the Irish Times, while blatantly self-serving, are usually accurate enough, more so than most rugby journalists. With the right team beside him, I think Williams could do well at most clubs.
                              It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

Comment

Working...
                              X