X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waterfordlad
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe Konys barmy army View Post

He’ll piss where he likes and won’t be told not to by the likes of any of us.
    I was in Brussels during the week and they’ve erected a statue to him as former European Player of the Year

Leave a comment:

• lawrence
    replied

Hopefully he pisses on paddy Jackson some day.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Konys barmy army
    replied
    Originally posted by lawrence View Post

Not anymore, he’s stealing a living off another club now.

Leave a comment:

• lawrence
    replied

Seanie would

Not anymore, he’s stealing a living off another club now.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Konys barmy army
    replied

Thats so bad I wouldn’t even piss on it.
    Seanie would

Leave a comment:

• lawrence
    replied
    Originally posted by Sulla View Post
    Leinster deciding if you can't beat Sarries, just copy them.. or jersey
    Thats so bad I wouldn’t even piss on it.

Leave a comment:

• Sulla
    replied
    Leinster deciding if you can't beat Sarries, just copy them.. or jersey

Leave a comment:

• lawrence
    replied
    Originally posted by Sulla View Post
    SOB 'sanctioned' by the IRFU, within the terms of his contract following pissgate in Cassidy's

I have it on good authority that he has to wear pull ups on future any nights out.

Leave a comment:

• Sulla
    replied
    SOB 'sanctioned' by the IRFU, within the terms of his contract following pissgate in Cassidy's

Leave a comment:

• ScrummieMan
    replied
    Without starting a rumor mill on Hodnett I think he is still under contract, it’s not that he is gone from the setup.
    what contract? academy?

Leave a comment:

• lawrence
    replied
    Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

Agree with you Lawrence, on both points- both the ‘groupthink’ that pervades any tight, committed, closely selected group, and the resultant difference in what is regarded as ‘normal’; but also the protective effect of education. I didn’t know that about Hodgnett, I hope it doesn’t hamper his rugby development, but well done both parties in supporting this. It’s worth noting that a ‘premiership’ career would be almost impossible post degree- indeed even post Leaving/A levels.

I have been lucky enough to work with one of the top football academies in England, and the guys there have been on a path from 8, recruited world wide, parents move with them and are found jobs even before the child can be contracted, and guys are on six figures and more in their teens without, according to coaches, any chance of breaking through to the top side. They are sold on in their late teens. They do have a few days a week in ‘education’ but we’re talking about doing a few subjects that might be GCSE/ inter level. There are exceptions, of course, but they are the very very unusual ones.

inevitably our dependence on the school’s system to produce rugby talent, and (generally) the types of school that play rugby, means many players have come from advantaged backgrounds. This is one of the reasons I really want the club game to be heavily supported, especially at junior level, by the Provinces. It’s a game that generally speaking produces very decent men and women- I want everyone to be able to benefit from that.

Some of this talk is really just over complicating the analysis of the incidents that occurred in Dublin, because it’s a lot simpler.

Some people just can’t handle their drink, they get messy after it and you don’t need to be a professional athlete for that to be the case.

Leave a comment:

• lawrence
    replied
    Without starting a rumor mill on Hodnett I think he is still under contract, it’s not that he is gone from the setup.

Leave a comment:

• jagawayagain
    replied

Not the point I was making, when young fella don’t get their behavior checked by the ‘real world’ because they are constantly involved in these groups it means they can have a different set of norms to wider society.

What at your saying can be generalized down to socioeconomic factors. Soccer players tend to come from lower socioeconomic backgrounds and rugby from higher where more focus is put on education, it’s one factor as well as age.

I heard that Hodnett turned down an academy or development contract with Munster because he wants to stay in UCC and complete his studies, which is fine once he is training properly because at 22-24 when graduated he has plenty of time to make senior, but 22-24 is seen as past it in soccer if a fella hasn’t made the grade, so a fella hoping to make a breakthrough with a premier league club couldn’t consider staying in UCC
    Agree with you Lawrence, on both points- both the ‘groupthink’ that pervades any tight, committed, closely selected group, and the resultant difference in what is regarded as ‘normal’; but also the protective effect of education. I didn’t know that about Hodgnett, I hope it doesn’t hamper his rugby development, but well done both parties in supporting this. It’s worth noting that a ‘premiership’ career would be almost impossible post degree- indeed even post Leaving/A levels.

I have been lucky enough to work with one of the top football academies in England, and the guys there have been on a path from 8, recruited world wide, parents move with them and are found jobs even before the child can be contracted, and guys are on six figures and more in their teens without, according to coaches, any chance of breaking through to the top side. They are sold on in their late teens. They do have a few days a week in ‘education’ but we’re talking about doing a few subjects that might be GCSE/ inter level. There are exceptions, of course, but they are the very very unusual ones.

inevitably our dependence on the school’s system to produce rugby talent, and (generally) the types of school that play rugby, means many players have come from advantaged backgrounds. This is one of the reasons I really want the club game to be heavily supported, especially at junior level, by the Provinces. It’s a game that generally speaking produces very decent men and women- I want everyone to be able to benefit from that.

Leave a comment:

• lawrence
    replied
    Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post

You see similar things in soccer with lads who go away to England at 16, but generally the crash back to earth comes a lot quicker when you're back in Ireland without a Leaving Cert and getting 50 quid for playing Leinster Senior League and looking for a real job. Not quite the same when your safety net for failing to make it with Leinster is a cushy job in an accounting firm or estate agency and Lansdowne throwing you 500 euro a week to run in some tries against amateurs.
    Not the point I was making, when young fella don’t get their behavior checked by the ‘real world’ because they are constantly involved in these groups it means they can have a different set of norms to wider society.

What at your saying can be generalized down to socioeconomic factors. Soccer players tend to come from lower socioeconomic backgrounds and rugby from higher where more focus is put on education, it’s one factor as well as age.

I heard that Hodnett turned down an academy or development contract with Munster because he wants to stay in UCC and complete his studies, which is fine once he is training properly because at 22-24 when graduated he has plenty of time to make senior, but 22-24 is seen as past it in soccer if a fella hasn’t made the grade, so a fella hoping to make a breakthrough with a premier league club couldn’t consider staying in UCC

Leave a comment:

• jagawayagain
    replied
    Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post

You see similar things in soccer with lads who go away to England at 16, but generally the crash back to earth comes a lot quicker when you're back in Ireland without a Leaving Cert and getting 50 quid for playing Leinster Senior League and looking for a real job. Not quite the same when your safety net for failing to make it with Leinster is a cushy job in an accounting firm or estate agency and Lansdowne throwing you 500 euro a week to run in some tries against amateurs.
    It is very different, but I wouldnt criticise rugby for looking after those who don’t make, or for those who play the game when young not sacrificing their education.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X