Leinster 2018/19

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cianostays View Post
    How would you cover or explain the substantial loss of revenue? I'd be happy to travel to Limerick or Belfast or Cork for a Leinster SF (even though I'm 35 mins from my couch to my seat in LR tomorrow) but there is no other stadium suitable commercialy. Different story if Thomond was a 40,000 plus all seater or if the IRFU owned Páirc Uí Caoimh.

Sent from my SM-G531F using Tapatalk
    The competition seems to keep going in those years when there isn’t a semi final in LR. A home semi final in TP attended by 26,000 would be higher than most “neutral” semi final attendances not involving Munster anyway.
    Last edited by the plastic paddy; 20th-April-2019, 07:35.

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post

The competition seems to keep going in those years when there isn’t a semi final in LR. A home semi final in TP attended by 26,000 would be higher than most “neutral” semi final attendances not involving Munster anyway.
      EPCR have pretty clearly shown that they want to play the semi-finals in stadiums which will maximise their financial return from the two games. This is presumably driven by the demands of their shareholders. If EPCR felt they could do that by playing a semi-final in Thomond then that's where the game would be played. Unfortunately for Munster, their huge fanbase means that it will almost always make financial sense to play a home semi-final in the Aviva as they'll sell more tickets and at a higher average ticket price. Is it fair? Not at all, but such is life.

I do also wonder if tomorrow's semi-final was being played in the Municipal Stadium in Toulouse would there be such a fuss being made on here or on "Welsh Twitter".

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Gibson View Post

I do also wonder if tomorrow's semi-final was being played in the Municipal Stadium in Toulouse would there be such a fuss being made on here or on "Welsh Twitter".
        Leinster are very fortunate to have this advantage, if we had we’d be very happy with it too. I wouldn't worry about the Welsh, it will be a while before they compete for HCUP or pro14, their slam was a considerable achievement, but frankly they are irrelevant otherwise.

enjoy the advantage, best of luck and let’s hope it’s an all Ireland final in Glasgow.

Comment

EPCR have pretty clearly shown that they want to play the semi-finals in stadiums which will maximise their financial return from the two games. This is presumably driven by the demands of their shareholders. If EPCR felt they could do that by playing a semi-final in Thomond then that's where the game would be played. Unfortunately for Munster, their huge fanbase means that it will almost always make financial sense to play a home semi-final in the Aviva as they'll sell more tickets and at a higher average ticket price. Is it fair? Not at all, but such is life.

I don’t have an issue with Munster playing in LR, I have an issue with Leinster playing a semi final in a stadium they use for home games. To be clear, I wouldn’t object to Leinster playing elsewhere in Dublin, it just looks terrible them playing in LR. Anyway, the rules have changed now so I fully expect home semi finals to be played in home venues from now on in unless the semi final involves Munster. Interestingly I was just having a conversation with a Toulouse supporter who thinks it is unfair that Leinster are playing in LR so it isn’t just me...

Comment

I don’t have an issue with Munster playing in LR, I have an issue with Leinster playing a semi final in a stadium they use for home games. To be clear, I wouldn’t object to Leinster playing elsewhere in Dublin, it just looks terrible them playing in LR. Anyway, the rules have changed now so I fully expect home semi finals to be played in home venues from now on in unless the semi final involves Munster. Interestingly I was just having a conversation with a Toulouse supporter who thinks it is unfair that Leinster are playing in LR so it isn’t just me...
            It didnt look terrible though when alternatives werent there.
            And if Toulouse fan see's it as unfair i suppose he has no issues with Toulouse using a stadium in Toulouse for semis?
            All semi finals for Irish sides have always been in Dublin. Nothing will ever change from that nor should it.

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
              It didnt look terrible though when alternatives werent there.
              And if Toulouse fan see's it as unfair i suppose he has no issues with Toulouse using a stadium in Toulouse for semis?
              All semi finals for Irish sides have always been in Dublin. Nothing will ever change from that nor should it.
              Leinster use LR for home games, therefore, for them it is a home game. If, for example, they played their semi final in Croke Park it wouldn’t be in a ground they use every season as a home venue. That applies to the municipal stadium in Toulouse. However, since only rugby stadia seem to be acceptable (aside from the rather glaring anomaly of the final being played in St James Park) then Leinster should have played their neutral semi finals in Limerick or Belfast. Talk to rugby supporters from outside Ireland and they think it is a nonsense that Leinster get to play a neutral semi final in one of their home venues. I cannot abide Saracens but how is it fair that they have to travel two hours up the road to play their semi final in a neutral ground, and it is a sh’g for them to get to because trains aren’t running from London, whilst Leinster get to play in a venue they use every season for home games. It looks like one rule for Ireland and a different rule for everyone else and that is a very bad look for the competition and Irish rugby. And saying “that is how it is and that is how it will always be” is supercilious to the point of arrogance.
              Last edited by the plastic paddy; 20th-April-2019, 10:48.

Comment

Yup, exact same scenario in 2010. We played Toulouse in the Stade Municipal (which they'd used in the Top 14 that season) and not a peep about it by comparison but grrrrrrrr Leinster etc etc

BTW PP you're not that kind of fan but this argument gets a bit tiresome tbh.

Sent from my SM-G531F using Tapatalk

Comment

Leinster use LR for home games, therefore, for them it is a home game. If, for example, they played their semi final in Croke Park it wouldn’t be in a ground they use every season as a home venue. That applies to the municipal stadium in Toulouse. However, since only rugby stadia seem to be acceptable (aside from the rather glaring anomaly of the final being played in St James Park) then Leinster should have played their neutral semi finals in Limerick or Belfast. Talk to rugby supporters from outside Ireland and they think it is a nonsense that Leinster get to play a neutral semi final in one of their home venues. I cannot abide Saracens but how is it fair that they have to travel two hours up the road to play their semi final in a neutral ground, and it is a sh’g for them to get to because trains aren’t running from London, whilst Leinster get to play in a venue they use every season for home games. It looks like one rule for Ireland and a different rule for everyone else and that is a very bad look for the competition and Irish rugby. And saying “that is how it is and that is how it will always be” is supercilious to the point of arrogance.
                  There isnt one rule for Ireland and one for everyone else though. Just look at Toulouse. It will be same if welsh sides get to this level. Edinburgh in a semi final.
                  Leinster playing their semi final in Limerick or Belfast achieves nothing. 20000 not being able to attend game live isnt good for the game. Less money, pisses people off etc etc
                  Sarries have a part to play in deciding what venue they will play in.

Comment

I stand corrected, let’s see how full it is tomorrow because that could serve to prove my point anyway. Leinster playing semi finals in LR makes Irish rugby look parochial. There is no reason why Leinster can’t travel to Belfast or Limerick just like Saracens have to travel to Coventry. I suspect the fear is that no one would travel which is really rather sad.
                    You seem to be operating under the mistaken assumption that anybody involved in Irish rugby is involved with deciding where they game is played.

Comment

Jack Mc and Andy Porter, injured or left out for Byrne and Bent?
                      Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Ask the "Toulouse supporter" you just happened to meet today about the season Toulouse last played a home semi-final. It was one of EIGHT matches they played at the Stade Municipal that season. What a massive hypocrite.

Comment

Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post
                          You seem to be operating under the mistaken assumption that anybody involved in Irish rugby is involved with deciding where they game is played.
                          Well that's not true. IRFU pretty much decides the venues to be used in Ireland.

Comment

Originally posted by ustix View Post
                            Jack Mc and Andy Porter, injured or left out for Byrne and Bent?
                            Porter has a small injury, didn't feature last week either.

McGrath is form related.

Comment

Well that's not true. IRFU pretty much decides the venues to be used in Ireland.
                              Not really. They say what their preferred venue is and then the EPRC decide for them. Saracens would be playing in Twickenham if the EPRC thought they could fill a quarter of it without giving out free tickets.

Comment

Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post

Not really. They say what their preferred venue is and then the EPRC decide for them. Saracens would be playing in Twickenham if the EPRC thought they could fill a quarter of it without giving out free tickets.
                                When the IRFU nominate the Aviva as the semi-final venue for the provinces, do you really think EPCR would overrule them?

ERC made the mistake of putting a Saracens semi-final at Twickenham in 2014. It wasn't even a third full and EPCR haven't repeated the mistake since, with good reason.

Comment

Working...
                                X