Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leinster 2018/19

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
    Leinster shouldnt be in Limerick/Ravenhill. It would be crazy at every level to move any semi final theyd be involved in to stadiums 25000 smaller
    They should really have to play the Pro14 semi in Thomond. Criminal to be depriving the Union of funds by using a smaller stadium.

    Comment


      Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post

      Welsh twitter is rarely right about anything but on this issue it is. Why should Leinster supporters not have to travel and everyone else does for a home semi final? Saracens have to travel two hours up the road, on an Easter weekend when the trains aren’t working etc why shouldn’t Leinster? It makes the tournament look like a fiddle.
      Oh ffs. A number of teams other than Leinster don't have to travel for "home" semi-finals. Toulouse, Cardiff, Stade Francais, Saracens and Leicester have all played semi-finals in their home cities, and in a couple of cases, the stadiums they used were even closer to their home ground than the RDS is to the Aviva.

      Comment


        Originally posted by Mike Gibson View Post

        Oh ffs. A number of teams other than Leinster don't have to travel for "home" semi-finals. Toulouse, Cardiff, Stade Francais, Saracens and Leicester have all played semi-finals in their home cities, and in a couple of cases, the stadiums they used were even closer to their home ground than the RDS is to the Aviva.
        And that shouldn’t happen either. Every team should have to travel to neutral venues for a semi final. Leinster play nearly as many games each season in LR as Munster play in Musgrave Park. It is a home venue.

        Comment


          Originally posted by Mike Gibson View Post

          Oh ffs. A number of teams other than Leinster don't have to travel for "home" semi-finals. Toulouse, Cardiff, Stade Francais, Saracens and Leicester have all played semi-finals in their home cities, and in a couple of cases, the stadiums they used were even closer to their home ground than the RDS is to the Aviva.
          I just don’t understand why you think it doesn’t give Leinster, and fans, a huge advantage- or rather why you feel you can’t just admit it. There ought to be a minimum distance specified in the rules. Given that there isn’t, Leinster have a very handy advantage, and frankly, if Munster has such an advantage I expect we’d be more than happy to take it too. As it is, we’d clamour to have it in Cork because of the twin site concentration we have in support etc, if we could get PUC, but in all likelihood IRFU would not countenance Munster plating there, or Ulster in Windsor Park, nor pushing Leinster to play in Belfast, Limerick it Cork. Personally I think this is quite unfair, but I realise it is the reality. I don’t see why Leinster fans cannot recognise it too.

          Comment


            Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

            I just don’t understand why you think it doesn’t give Leinster, and fans, a huge advantage- or rather why you feel you can’t just admit it. There ought to be a minimum distance specified in the rules. Given that there isn’t, Leinster have a very handy advantage, and frankly, if Munster has such an advantage I expect we’d be more than happy to take it too. As it is, we’d clamour to have it in Cork because of the twin site concentration we have in support etc, if we could get PUC, but in all likelihood IRFU would not countenance Munster plating there, or Ulster in Windsor Park, nor pushing Leinster to play in Belfast, Limerick it Cork. Personally I think this is quite unfair, but I realise it is the reality. I don’t see why Leinster fans cannot recognise it too.
            It’s no different than the quarter finals when one team has an advantage. This was a real talking point last year and I thought it didn’t sit in the spirit of the rules but the IRFU wanted those euros for themselves (the club \ province dosent pick the venue). The rules are different for this years competition so the semi final is no more unfair than the quarter and it’s not random, the advantage goes to the team that earned it in the group stages. If Munster get a home semi in the Pro14 is that unfair? No of course not, this is the same thing. Yes Leinster have an advantage that they earned in the group stages.

            Comment


              Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

              I just don’t understand why you think it doesn’t give Leinster, and fans, a huge advantage- or rather why you feel you can’t just admit it. There ought to be a minimum distance specified in the rules. Given that there isn’t, Leinster have a very handy advantage, and frankly, if Munster has such an advantage I expect we’d be more than happy to take it too. As it is, we’d clamour to have it in Cork because of the twin site concentration we have in support etc, if we could get PUC, but in all likelihood IRFU would not countenance Munster plating there, or Ulster in Windsor Park, nor pushing Leinster to play in Belfast, Limerick it Cork. Personally I think this is quite unfair, but I realise it is the reality. I don’t see why Leinster fans cannot recognise it too.
              I'm not disputing that Leinster get an advantage, just pointing out that Leinster are far from being the only team to hold such an advantage. It would be commercially daft for EPCR to insist on completely neutral venues, something they more or less admitted this season by letting Racing 92 choose their own stadium as a potential semi-final venue. IMO they'd be better off just putting in a rule with regard to a minimum capacity and get rid of the whole "can't use your home stadium" clause for the semi-final.

              Comment


                Originally posted by Mike Gibson View Post

                I'm not disputing that Leinster get an advantage, just pointing out that Leinster are far from being the only team to hold such an advantage. It would be commercially daft for EPCR to insist on completely neutral venues, something they more or less admitted this season by letting Racing 92 choose their own stadium as a potential semi-final venue. IMO they'd be better off just putting in a rule with regard to a minimum capacity and get rid of the whole "can't use your home stadium" clause for the semi-final.
                They have admitted this because a billionaire played Trumpball. If Leinster had to play in Limerick would the Leinster supporters travel to support their team? If they wouldn’t, what would that say about the Leinster supporters?

                Comment


                  Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post

                  Welsh twitter is rarely right about anything but on this issue it is. Why should Leinster supporters not have to travel and everyone else does for a home semi final? Saracens have to travel two hours up the road, on an Easter weekend when the trains aren’t working etc why shouldn’t Leinster? It makes the tournament look like a fiddle.
                  Where though? Ridiculous to go elsewhere to a smaller stadium though

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Mike Gibson View Post

                    I'm not disputing that Leinster get an advantage, just pointing out that Leinster are far from being the only team to hold such an advantage. It would be commercially daft for EPCR to insist on completely neutral venues, something they more or less admitted this season by letting Racing 92 choose their own stadium as a potential semi-final venue. IMO they'd be better off just putting in a rule with regard to a minimum capacity and get rid of the whole "can't use your home stadium" clause for the semi-final.
                    I assume in such a case you guys would choose to play away at the Aviva!! (just pulling your leg- thanks for the reply which I agree with).

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post

                      They have admitted this because a billionaire played Trumpball. If Leinster had to play in Limerick would the Leinster supporters travel to support their team? If they wouldn’t, what would that say about the Leinster supporters?
                      It doesn't really matter whether 250 or 25,000 Leinster supporters would travel to Belfast or Limerick. EPCR would still forfeit huge amounts of money by playing the semi-final in either venue, no matter how many Leinster fans showed up. It's not particularly fair but it's the only realistic commercial decision they can make. It's likely the same for Welsh and probably Scottish teams that home semi-finals would be played in Cardiff and Edinburgh respectively.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Mike Gibson View Post

                        It doesn't really matter whether 250 or 25,000 Leinster supporters would travel to Belfast or Limerick. EPCR would still forfeit huge amounts of money by playing the semi-final in either venue, no matter how many Leinster fans showed up. It's not particularly fair but it's the only realistic commercial decision they can make. It's likely the same for Welsh and probably Scottish teams that home semi-finals would be played in Cardiff and Edinburgh respectively.
                        It undermines the competition to have any team playing at home in a semi final. Either semi finals are played “at home” or they aren’t. Leinster are in one of their home venue on Sunday Saracens aren’t, tomorrow, and that is iniquitous. The idea TP isn’t a big enough stadium is b’llix, btw, as it’s capacity is bigger than the Ricoh.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post

                          It undermines the competition to have any team playing at home in a semi final. Either semi finals are played “at home” or they aren’t. Leinster are in one of their home venue on Sunday Saracens aren’t, tomorrow, and that is iniquitous. The idea TP isn’t a big enough stadium is b’llix, btw, as it’s capacity is bigger than the Ricoh.
                          Capacity of the Ricoh Arena is 32,609. Plus it's all-seater.

                          Comment


                            Could Leinster play in Pairc Ui Caoimh?
                            "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

                            Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

                            Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post
                              Could Leinster play in Pairc Ui Caoimh?
                              Time the resurrect “that” thread

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Mike Gibson View Post

                                Capacity of the Ricoh Arena is 32,609. Plus it's all-seater.
                                I stand corrected, let’s see how full it is tomorrow because that could serve to prove my point anyway. Leinster playing semi finals in LR makes Irish rugby look parochial. There is no reason why Leinster can’t travel to Belfast or Limerick just like Saracens have to travel to Coventry. I suspect the fear is that no one would travel which is really rather sad.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X