Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leinster 2018/19

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
    Fully expect Leinster to return to their usual standards from here till the end of the season

    They know when to really hit the high notes
    Maybe but losing can become a habit. Didnt see the game but their performances & results the last couple of months have been anything but impressive

    Comment


      Their season is in danger of falling off a cliff
      Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
      Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

      Comment


        Two poor results at home by two weakened teams. On paper nothing to worry too much about but you have to wonder if they can suddenly go back to full strength and produce a semi-final winning performance next week.

        Fardy, Ringrose and Lowe will make a big difference but quite a few of their starters came on for that second half (Furlong, Cronin, Healy etc.) and were poor.

        Comment


          Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post

          Agree about SOB. Henshaw not so much. Needs game time.
          I don't know, been a while since Henshaw has looked a special player, even before the injuries.

          He's bulked up too much much and lost the dynamism that set him apart when he was younger, that was showed up badly in his 15 cameo. You'd wonder about the relationship between that and his injury record too.
          "There are probably more annoying things than being hectored about African development by a wealthy Irish rock star in a cowboy hat, but I can't think of one at the moment"

          Paul Theroux

          Comment


            Originally posted by busby View Post

            I don't know, been a while since Henshaw has looked a special player, even before the injuries.

            He's bulked up too much much and lost the dynamism that set him apart when he was younger, that was showed up badly in his 15 cameo. You'd wonder about the relationship between that and his injury record too.
            Disastrous decision by Joe to put him at 15. But looks to have the discipline and skillset to be a top class player again.

            Ringrose looked dodgy against Ulster as well. The whole Leinster operation seems to have been spooked by Team Ireland going off the rails.
            ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

            Originally Posted by mr chips
            AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

            Comment


              Not enough Kearneys
              Seven social sins: politics without principles, wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice



              Comment


                Add Ryan, Fardy, Ruddock, Conan, McGrath, Sexton, Ringrose, Lowe to that team and it's totally different. We were playing at home against a team looking to guarantee a home semi-final when we were looking to get gametime into players and avoid injury before next week with the team winning when Kearney, Henshaw, Furlong, JGP went off.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post
                  Add Ryan, Fardy, Ruddock, Conan, McGrath, Sexton, Ringrose, Lowe to that team and it's totally different. We were playing at home against a team looking to guarantee a home semi-final when we were looking to get gametime into players and avoid injury before next week with the team winning when Kearney, Henshaw, Furlong, JGP went off.
                  Exactly, that momentum thing is seriously overrated

                  After a squeaky bum lucky win over Ulster, a draw and a loss is fine
                  "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

                  Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

                  Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post

                    After a squeaky bum lucky win over Ulster, a draw and a loss is fine
                    Leinster are incredibly lucky to be in a European semi final. Stockdale need never buy a pint in Dublin again.
                    And it was only a senior moment from Nigel that gave Leinster the try they needed to hold on against Treviso.
                    Pinning hopes on players that aren't match fit is pretty risky because ST will run at you all day.

                    Leinster peaked too soon and are in decline IMHO.

                    Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

                    Comment


                      Might be a year too early for Toulouse. Very few of the squad have experience of semis and finals in Europe.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by tippete7trees View Post
                        SOB is finished. Power is gone. Ladys bench is goodish but playing against very strong wind now.
                        I'm far from convinced regarding SO'B.
                        Seems to me like a fella limbering up for the autumn...
                        Gwan Joe!!

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
                          Leinster are incredibly lucky to be in a European semi final. Stockdale need never buy a pint in Dublin again.
                          And it was only a senior moment from Nigel that gave Leinster the try they needed to hold on against Treviso.
                          Pinning hopes on players that aren't match fit is pretty risky because ST will run at you all day.

                          Leinster peaked too soon and are in decline IMHO.
                          Leinster are HCup holders so peaking too soon doesn't really apply.... perhaps gone off the boil....perhaps permanently.
                          ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

                          Originally Posted by mr chips
                          AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post
                            Add Ryan, Fardy, Ruddock, Conan, McGrath, Sexton, Ringrose, Lowe to that team and it's totally different. We were playing at home against a team looking to guarantee a home semi-final when we were looking to get gametime into players and avoid injury before next week with the team winning when Kearney, Henshaw, Furlong, JGP went off.
                            There is something to that, especially with regard to game-changers like Ryan and Lowe. Even with a lot of key players held back, a lot of (outer) fringe players in the side and the fixture itself a dead rubber, it still would be foolish to assume that this loss and Leinster's other recent stutterings were a harbinger of failure at this point in the season. However, it's worth remembering that even the performance of many of your senior players was well below par, as it was for much of the 6 Nations. They should still have had enough to deliver a competent if unspectacular win, but Healy and Furlong(!) were virtually phoning it in, while O'Brien has been back from injury for a while now, yet still hasn't put in one of the dominant displays with which he made his name. Kearney reaching a three-year scoring peak (or with two tries in a single game, is it more like five?) is an outlier rather than the start of a new trend. It's a fair point others have made that losing can become a habit.
                            Tis but a scratch.

                            Comment


                              Furlong got injured in the game versus Glasgow yesterday, he went off with a kneeinjury. After initially going down clutching his knee in agony, he was thankfully able to walk from the pitch. Leinster are waiting to determine the extent of the damage.
                              "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

                              Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

                              Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by mr chips View Post

                                There is something to that, especially with regard to game-changers like Ryan and Lowe. Even with a lot of key players held back, a lot of (outer) fringe players in the side and the fixture itself a dead rubber, it still would be foolish to assume that this loss and Leinster's other recent stutterings were a harbinger of failure at this point in the season. However, it's worth remembering that even the performance of many of your senior players was well below par, as it was for much of the 6 Nations. They should still have had enough to deliver a competent if unspectacular win, but Healy and Furlong(!) were virtually phoning it in, while O'Brien has been back from injury for a while now, yet still hasn't put in one of the dominant displays with which he made his name. Kearney reaching a three-year scoring peak (or with two tries in a single game, is it more like five?) is an outlier rather than the start of a new trend. It's a fair point others have made that losing can become a habit.
                                Healy and Furlong improved the team when they came on, to be fair. Furlong and Kearney going off is probably what derailed what was looking an improved performance. Suspect Larmour will get the nod against Toulouse despite Rob's two tries.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X