Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leinster 2018/19

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by theghost View Post
    On a different and sad story, someone sent me a link to footage of Dan Leavy's injury , jesus poor lad it looks horrific and reportedly as bad an injury as Leinster medics have seen.
    Hope for his sake that recovery goes well and that he can resume playing again at some stage, a real shame as he is a fine player for Leinster and Ireland and will be missed at World Cup time. All the best with your recovery Dan from Munsterfans .
    Gruesome at the best of times, but knowing it has taken you out of a World Cup where we’ve the best ever chance- dreadful for the guy- wishing him speedy and complete physical and mental recovery.

    Comment


      Originally posted by Mike Gibson View Post

      Loads of different reasons why a player might not prosper in Leinster. Some of it is down to quality of players in front, others might be injured at the wrong time, others simply develop at a later time. Sometimes when their chance comes along the player just doesn't play well enough and finds themselves down the pecking order. Sometimes Leinster get it badly wrong. It's not an exact science.

      I think a lot of them do well at other teams because they're generally good players.

      McGrath - an international quality prop who has lost form and found himself on the bench due to Healy's resurgence and injuries for Jack. He's never struck me as an impact sub and needs to be starting games for his province to get back to his best.

      Loughman - behind four other looseheads when he left who, IMO, are all better than him. Doesn't mean he's a bad player just unlucky.

      Moore - was struggling with injury and had dropped behind an exceptional player in Furlong. But for the emergence of Porter while Moore was in Coventry I'd imagine Leinster would have been very keen to bring him back.

      Beirne - had injury problems and admitted himself that when he got a chance in the team during the last RWC he didn't play well. Leinster let go a few decent 2nd rows so they have to take some blame for not giving him more chances. Think this has changed since Beirne left.

      Jordi - Leinster had a phenomenal group of back-rows with international quality players not guaranteed to make matchday 23's. He moved to try and get a regular spot. Real shame to lose him as he was much appreciated by Leinster. Would love to have him back.

      Cooney - struggled to get game-time behind Reddan and Boss with McGrath coming up quickly behind him. Wasn't exactly great at Connacht either.

      Joey - still too pissed off at the shenanigans around his move to comment rationally on this

      Kelleher - he had a right to be pissed off when he didn't get selected under Matt O'Connor, but didn't really impress when included in Cullen's first season. He's not short of self-confidence so backed himself at Connacht. Not sure why he's returning.

      Farrell - loads of injuries plus Leinster brought in a number of centres into the academy in the years around BOD and Darce's retirement. Some prospered, others didn't.

      Conway - he got plenty of chances at Leinster. Not sure there's been any others who had 40+ appearances by the age of 21. Thought he was a little impatient in his decision to leave (when he announced it) although missing the Matt O'Connor years turned out to be for the best, probably.
      Suppose the other part that I hadn't factored in was game time, and how any player can improve with regular minutes

      Locally I think I remember Rhys Marshall saying he was looking at sheep farming full time before munster appeared on the phone line, if you think it's your last chance saloon you'll go hell for leather like. Same as if you feel you're not getting the chances and someone offers your career a new opening you'll probably jump

      On the seperate matter of contracts, I don't really buy it as a gripe tbh if a guy moves mid term. All the money comes out of the IRFU well one way or the other and Pope Joe wants 4 or more options for every position. Just like Joey and Jordy, JackMac will be front and centre in European games next season and up for selection for the 6 nation's 2020. It's not the player nor Nuciforas job to keep the province season ticket holders happy.
      I am the million man.

      Comment


        Really tough on Leavy and a huge loss for Ire at the World Cup as there's no like for like replacement for him.
        I don't think we'd have been as badly 'bullied' by Wales/England if Leavy had been fit to start.

        Comment


          Originally posted by Cowboy View Post

          Suppose the other part that I hadn't factored in was game time, and how any player can improve with regular minutes

          Locally I think I remember Rhys Marshall saying he was looking at sheep farming full time before munster appeared on the phone line, if you think it's your last chance saloon you'll go hell for leather like. Same as if you feel you're not getting the chances and someone offers your career a new opening you'll probably jump

          On the seperate matter of contracts, I don't really buy it as a gripe tbh if a guy moves mid term. All the money comes out of the IRFU well one way or the other and Pope Joe wants 4 or more options for every position. Just like Joey and Jordy, JackMac will be front and centre in European games next season and up for selection for the 6 nation's 2020. It's not the player nor Nuciforas job to keep the province season ticket holders happy.

          Having a player jump mid-contract is a pain in the hole for the team management, rather than the season ticket-holders.

          Comment


            Originally posted by Mike Gibson View Post


            Having a player jump mid-contract is a pain in the hole for the team management, rather than the season ticket-holders.
            Absolutely Mike, but he hasn't been getting a look in? He's moving because he wants games surely? Games he hasn't been getting from Leo?
            I am the million man.

            Comment


              It’s s good I’d move for all concerned . What’s good for Jack and Irish rugby is him getting game time .
              Lets hope Healy can keep his injury free run goi g
              When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

              Comment


                Originally posted by Cowboy View Post

                Absolutely Mike, but he hasn't been getting a look in? He's moving because he wants games surely? Games he hasn't been getting from Leo?
                Jacks been in every match day 23 when available up until all this started to come out. It’s unlikely he would have been sitting in the stands if he wasn’t about to jump ship.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Joe Konys barmy army View Post

                  Jacks been in every match day 23 when available up until all this started to come out. It’s unlikely he would have been sitting in the stands if he wasn’t about to jump ship.
                  He was carrying an injury earlier in the season and His been playing poor in the games ever since . I even think he captained a team earlier in the season where he played poor .
                  A change of scenery could do him the world of good
                  When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

                  Comment


                    Maybe he's just as sick of Sexton's petulance as the rest of us, and chose to leave early.

                    Comment


                      Leinster team to play Benetton tomorrow (Apr 6th). KO 7:45pm live on TG4

                      Barry Daly; Fergus McFadden, Conor O'Brien, Joe Tomane, James Lowe; Noel Reid, Luke McGrath (c); Jack McGrath, James Tracy, Andrew Porter; Mick Kearney, Scott Fardy; Josh Murphy, Max Deegan, Caelan Doris

                      Bench: Bryan Byrne, Peter Dooley, Michael Bent, Jack Dunne, Scott Penny, Hugh O'Sullivan, Ciaran Frawley, Jimmy O'Brien

                      Comment


                        Deegan and Doris are supposed to be the next best thing...
                        they also sound like a great saturday morning kids cartoon show.
                        He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by i_like_cake View Post
                          Deegan and Doris are supposed to be the next best thing...
                          they also sound like a great saturday morning kids cartoon show.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	Doris & Deegan.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	2564676
                          "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

                          Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

                          Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

                          Comment


                            After Leavy's injury and SOBs continual struggles with form, Deegan now has a somehwat fortuitous route in to the European and league knockout squads. He has a slow start to the season for whatever reason (I could speculate he was dealing with some conditioning work associated with packing on a few KGs in pre season), but has been quietly excellent playing slightly out of position at 7 in recent months.

                            He's probably been missing the raw weight/power to make an impact at 8 (his natual position) thus far, but it's only occured to me since he's recently been shoehorned to openside that he's actually got a very suited skillset. He's very fast across the ground - I would guess the fastest forward in Leinster -, makes loads of tackles, effective over the ball and very skilled handler/passer. He has an opportunity now to become a bolter for the WC squad imo.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Mike Gibson View Post
                              Leinster team to play Benetton tomorrow (Apr 6th). KO 7:45pm live on TG4

                              Barry Daly; Fergus McFadden, Conor O'Brien, Joe Tomane, James Lowe; Noel Reid, Luke McGrath (c); Jack McGrath, James Tracy, Andrew Porter; Mick Kearney, Scott Fardy; Josh Murphy, Max Deegan, Caelan Doris

                              Bench: Bryan Byrne, Peter Dooley, Michael Bent, Jack Dunne, Scott Penny, Hugh O'Sullivan, Ciaran Frawley, Jimmy O'Brien
                              It’s great to see 6 academy players in the 23 but I can’t help but thinking at this stage of the season we should be playing more of the senior players. I though we looked a bit under cooked last week. Hopefully next week he goes pretty much full bore with a few lads back from injury, get the lads some game time together and do our southern neighbors a favor at the same time.

                              Comment


                                Len 3 Ben 10 after 22 mins

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X