No announcement yet.

Leinster 2018/19

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CJ not quite at his best but I can't see Joe changing tack now. Knowing Joe it would take a serious drop off in form and I don't think that will happen. If anything CJ will rise to the challenge of facing the ABs.

Conan has been playing well though so will almost certainly start against the Italians and the USA.

Comment

Yet again the LB try to influence Lord Ross of Sandyford through the business pages of the IT. Should always be careful of expecting Govt funding before it arrives, especially now that Connacht have their own stadium to finance. Bord na gCon also much better at getting monies they need (see Harold's Cross)

See also admission that Dinny O'Brien funding Sexton wages.

Revamped RDS could take Leinster Rugby to ’another level’, chief executive predicts
      Leinster chief Mick Dawson confirms that Denis O’Brien and other business people have provided funds to retain key players
      about an hour ago
      Ciarán Hancock

Leinster Rugby will seek €15 million from the Government’s new fund for major sports infrastructure projects to redevelop the RDS, with a view to having it completed by September or October 2020, the province’s chief executive has confirmed.

“We are waiting for that fund to open,” Leinster chief Mick Dawson told Inside Business, a podcast from The Irish Times. “We have met a lot of Government ministers and opposition TDs as well. By and large, there seems to be reasonable support for this. We need about €15 million.”

Mr Dawson said a revamped RDS - which would have an additional 3,000 seats in the Anglesea Stand and enhanced corporate facilities - was needed for Leinster to be able to compete with better resourced English and French clubs.

“It would reinvigorate us and give us a new revenue stream ... because of corporate facilities, premium seats, boxes probably,” he said. “We’ve done lots of modelling on it...you’d hope it would be a significant sum of money extra to what we have at the moment.”

Leinster began playing in the RDS in 2007 and has a 20-year lease at the Ballsbridge venue. The redevelopment would cost €30 million, with funding from the RDS and a naming rights deal with Laya Healthcare bridging the gap.

Planning permission to upgrade the RDS has already been secured and Mr Dawson said that if funding was secured from the Government, a six-month tendering process and 12 months of construction would follow. He hopes the new stadium would be available for the 2020/21 season.

Mr Dawson said Leinster’s annual income from gate receipts and commercial revenue amounts to €15 million, topped up with €4 million from the IRFU. He said the province makes a “small surplus” each year when various costs are taken out.

He also confirmed that Irish businessman Denis O’Brien and others have assisted the province financially, helping it to retain key Irish players.

“Denis has only been involved in one [ player] and he has been very generous. People like Denis O’Brien and others who have made a lot of money have been helpful to us.

“We’ve got to work very hard to maintain our independence ...you can’t be relying on handouts. We’ve experienced a bit of philanthropy in the past ...some of our sponsors have helped us out as well but the new stand in the RDS would help us to raise it to another level.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/med ... 2?mode=amp
      Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Am I the only one who believes they should be going to the bank for a loan to finance this like everyone else? Furthermore he must have burst his tongue through his cheek with this piece of Trumpian diahorrea:

​​​​​​We’ve got to work very hard to maintain our independence ...you can’t be relying on handouts

Newsflash Mick! You're relying on a feckin handout from the Government to do up your ground
        I am the million man.

Comment

Rugby have figured out there's an endless well of public money for large-scale projects the GAA has been tapping into for years if you're able to schmooze the right people. Meanwhile, there's about five GAA pitches in Dublin's south inner city for tens of thousand of kids.

Comment

Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post
            Rugby have figured out there's an endless well of public money for large-scale projects the GAA has been tapping into for years if you're able to schmooze the right people. Meanwhile, there's about five GAA pitches in Dublin's south inner city for tens of thousand of kids.
            I wouldn't doubt it whimpy but why should leinster benefit to the tune of 15 million and not the other 3 provinces at the same time? Given the ability to utilise The Aviva they're already coining the income from tickets

Speaking baldly it would rocket the new ground in Galway along and it would help a lot with the repayments on our place

Leinster would be fools not to go for it of course, but I'm sure it'll stick in the craw of neighbours
            I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post

I wouldn't doubt it whimpy but why should leinster benefit to the tune of 15 million and not the other 3 provinces at the same time? Given the ability to utilise The Aviva they're already coining the income from tickets

Speaking baldly it would rocket the new ground in Galway along and it would help a lot with the repayments on our place

Leinster would be fools not to go for it of course, but I'm sure it'll stick in the craw of neighbours
              There's no reason they should be given the money, in my opinion, particularly as it looks like they went and announced the development first as a privately-funded initiative and now they're trying to get public money when it's already in motion. €30 million for the possibility of accommodating an extra 3,000 people is frankly madness.

Comment

Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post

There's no reason they should be given the money, in my opinion, particularly as it looks like they went and announced the development first as a privately-funded initiative and now they're trying to get public money when it's already in motion. €30 million for the possibility of accommodating an extra 3,000 people is frankly madness.
                On the flip side though if it's there to be used they would want to go for it, as would Connacht in particular!

Whilst we are all shaking the money tree, a high tensile superlight roof spanning the two main arches of Thomond Park would be just lovely please Minister Horseface

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181025-183251.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	2544911
                I am the million man.

Comment

Cowboy, a roof? Are you going all flash Racing92 on us?

Has Fineen put Johnny down yet?

Comment

Originally posted by FORWARD.... View Post
                    Cowboy, a roof? Are you going all flash Racing92 on us?
                    Far from it! I'd rather a polytunnel roof with actual grass underneath it than a carpet to avoid matches being called off due to water logging.

Plus it would make the place louder and warmer and drier!

Might encourage more to brave the terraces if they know it's gonna be fine and dry!

I think the polytunnel roof would be awesome, really add to the place
                    I am the million man.

Comment

Am I the only one who believes they should be going to the bank for a loan to finance this like everyone else? Furthermore he must have burst his tongue through his cheek with this piece of Trumpian diahorrea:

​​​​​​We’ve got to work very hard to maintain our independence ...you can’t be relying on handouts

Newsflash Mick! You're relying on a feckin handout from the Government to do up your ground
                      So they should get a loan to redevelop a stadium they rent. That's clever

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by colster View Post
                        So they should get a loan to redevelop a stadium they rent. That's clever

Perhaps they shouldn't be given the money at all so? Seeing as how they don't own the ground
                        I am the million man.

Comment

Perhaps they shouldn't be given the money at all so? Seeing as how they don't own the ground
                          Yes. Give it to the RDS who actually own it and are applying for the funds.

Comment

Thats a good point. Most of the Sports Capital Grants require that you own the land/ground, maybe the RDS are applying for the grant?
                            Has Fineen put Johnny down yet?

Comment

Originally posted by colster View Post
                              Yes. Give it to the RDS who actually own it and are applying for the funds.

You can see the jobs for the boys element of all this yes?

They sure as sugar ain't applying to add these seats and corporate boxes for the Dublin Show alone.

Munster needed a bailout from the union to sort out woes, Leinster get 15 million for a ground they don't own AND STILL have the Aviva how many times a year?

I really hope Connacht get 15 million for their ground tbh, they need it a small bit more than the rest us.

Stories like this perpetuate the one rule for Leinster sentiment in me tbth
                              I am the million man.

Comment

You can see the jobs for the boys element of all this yes?

They sure as sugar ain't applying to add these seats and corporate boxes for the Dublin Show alone.

Munster needed a bailout from the union to sort out woes, Leinster get 15 million for a ground they don't own AND STILL have the Aviva how many times a year?

I really hope Connacht get 15 million for their ground tbh, they need it a small bit more than the rest us.

Stories like this perpetuate the one rule for Leinster sentiment in me tbth
                                How is it. They are paying rent. They are not getting it for free.

Comment

Working...
                                X