No announcement yet.

The rugby Ulster play - Season 2018/19 - SEE MOD note post 1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surprised to see Darren Cave retiring end of this season. Maybe not first choice anymore but at 31 I would have thought he’d go another couple of years as a squad player and mentor to younger lads.

Very solid player and good club man.

Comment

They and we could do with an away win this weekend in Glasgow- contrasting experiences in defeat for them both last weekend- wonder who will react best.

Comment

Ulster into the playoffs with a great, 4-try, away win in Edinburgh. Don't think I've seen the Ulster defence so tight for a long time. Henderson immense. Lyttle is a small but very effective wing with gas and great feet.
        Erse end of nowhere

Comment

I was worried after last weeks results, Ulster were poor and Edinburgh looked like they were back on the horse after losing to us- but Ulster were deserving winners- delighted for them.

Comment

Great show from Ulster. Stockdale at 15 was interesting to see. Take note Joe! That back three of big Jacob, Lyttle and Baloucoune is fair dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post
              Great show from Ulster. Stockdale at 15 was interesting to see. Take note Joe! That back three of big Jacob, Lyttle and Baloucoune is fair dangerous.
              Yes- very interesting selection at 15- Baloucounes balance and speed is very special.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

Yes- very interesting selection at 15- Baloucounes balance and speed is very special.
                Not too many can finish like he did when he skinned the two lads in about 5 yards of space from almost a standing start. Made it look easy.

Comment

Assistant Coach Dwane Peel said after the game:

“We were hurting on the Monday after our monumental effort in the Champions Cup quarter-final against Leinster and we couldn't produce the goods against Glasgow last week," said Peel.

"It was all about us coming to Murrayfield and performing and winning. We knew if we did that we would be in the play-offs and we are delighted. It's fantastic.

"As the game went on we had half an eye on the Benetton-Munster game to see what we needed in terms of points and in terms of what decisions we should make on the field.”
                  "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post
                    Stockdale played quite a bit at 15 for the Ireland U20s. He looked a tad rusty in that position, but made some great bursts in the midfield and threw a few nicely timed passes. I'm sure he has the makings of a top FB, and like many of the world's best back three players, could be comfortable at wing/15. I think Ireland did not make good use of his ability to come infield and cut up the middle this season, the way they did his first year out.

Erse end of nowhere

Comment

The Best retirement for Ireland does not come as a surprise but I was at least expecting him to do one more season for Ulster. Credits for him and I hope he can say farewell with the best result possible. Ulster have a good replacement with Herring but Best leadership will sure be missed by Ulster.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrizzzie View Post
                        The Best retirement for Ireland does not come as a surprise but I was at least expecting him to do one more season for Ulster. Credits for him and I hope he can say farewell with the best result possible. Ulster have a good replacement with Herring but Best leadership will sure be missed by Ulster.
                        Unlikely to be fit for the semi final eliminator v Connacht, so he may have played his last competitive game for Ulster at Ravenhill. May be available for the Pro 14 Semi Final if Ulster get past Connacht.

Comment

Matt Faddes signing confirmed for 2019/20. Has been rumoured for a few months. Played 7s for NZ.

Comment

Teams in for Semi Final No 1 Fri 7:35pm (Premier Sports 1 / Eir Sport 1 / TG4 9:30pm)

Glasgow: (15-9) S Hogg; T Seymour, K Steyn, S Johnson, DTH vd Merwe; A Hastings, A Price; (1-8) J Bhatti, F Brown, Z Fagerson; S Cummings, J Gray; R Harley, C Gibbins (c), M Fagerson.

(16-23): G Stewart, O Kebble, D Rae, R Wilson, T Gordon, G Horne, P Horne, H Jones.

Ulster: (15-9): J Stockdale; R Baloucoune, L Marshall, S McCloskey, L Ludik; B Burns, J Cooney; (1-8): E O’Sullivan, R Best (captain), R Kane, I Henderson, K Treadwell, N Timoney, J Murphy, M Coetzee;

(16-23): R Herring, A Warwick, T O’Toole, A O’Connor, S Reidy, D Shanahan, M Lowry, D Cave.

Glasgow 9 points favourites with PP.

Comment

Originally posted by neill_m View Post
                              Teams in for Semi Final No 1 Fri 7:35pm (Premier Sports 1 / Eir Sport 1 / TG4 9:30pm)
                              Glasgow: (15-9) S Hogg; T Seymour, K Steyn, S Johnson, DTH vd Merwe; A Hastings, A Price; (1-8) J Bhatti, F Brown, Z Fagerson; S Cummings, J Gray; R Harley, C Gibbins (c), M Fagerson.
                              (16-23): G Stewart, O Kebble, D Rae, R Wilson, T Gordon, G Horne, P Horne, H Jones.
                              Ulster: (15-9): J Stockdale; R Baloucoune, L Marshall, S McCloskey, L Ludik; B Burns, J Cooney; (1-8): E O’Sullivan, R Best (captain), R Kane, I Henderson, K Treadwell, N Timoney, J Murphy, M Coetzee;
                              (16-23): R Herring, A Warwick, T O’Toole, A O’Connor, S Reidy, D Shanahan, M Lowry, D Cave.
                              Glasgow 9 points favourites with PP.
                              Big day for John Cooney
                              Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by ustix View Post

Big day for John Cooney
                                Big day for Stockdale too- his opposite number at FB would be a good benchmark, wonder how much encouragement there’s been from IRFU to give him some experience in the role?

Best of luck Ulster- would love to meet you in the final!

Comment

Working...
                                X