The rugby Ulster play - Season 2018/19 - SEE MOD note post 1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The rugby Ulster play - Season 2018/19 - SEE MOD note post 1

I've locked the other thread. I've given out infractions and any resurrection of the rape trial discussion on this thread will result in an immediate ban. You've all been warned enough times and if you're going to continue to behave like 6 year olds that's how you will be treated and get sent to the naughty step.

Marty Mór
    Nordi
    Will Addison

Coatzee

4 lads who can add a huge amount on the field next season. Keeping Marcel and Nordi fit is vital imo

Can't believe Diack is moving on either
    Last edited by SecondRowGal; 9th-June-2018, 09:19. Reason: Include mod note
    I am the million man.

Agreed, keeping those boys fit and having a consistent run of selection in the back row out of the likes of Marcel, Nordi, Reidy and Timoney will be huge.

Squad depth is a legit concern and the fact that there’s a delay in the incoming coach and a delay in the outgoing CEO means recruitment will prove difficult. The depth may have to come from the academy, sensible selection of wiser veterans such as Cave will be needed as much as minutes for Curtis, Lowry, Dalton, Cairns, O’Toole and O’Hagan will also prove vital.

The injuries of marshall and ludik in that last crucial game really stretches the depth at 15 and centre. Will Addison will be a busy boy.

A final thought on some depth issues, excluding the obvious lack of help for McPhillips (am I the only one who would take Steeno for 2 years?!) is the fact that Cooney may well be more involved with Ireland. The recent release of Aaron Cairns and the retirement of wee Paul means it’s up to wee Dave, who sadly had a tough end to be season.

Another academy lad, Stewart may see more game time, as could the even younger other Curtis.

One things for sure, before a ball is kicked or a pass is thrown we’ll either have hitched our wagon to these promising youngsters and committed to a fresh start....or we’ll have signed a flaky flamboyant foreign fly half and we’ll lather rinse and repeat for another year!

One guy I’d love to see more of this year - Lyttle, fingers crossed he gets a run of fitness.
    Last edited by FinnoFC; 8th-June-2018, 23:43.

Comment

Ulster play rugby now? I thought they were a prayer group.

Comment

Top players they are now
        Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post
        Ulster play rugby now? I thought they were a prayer group.
        Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk
        Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Originally posted by Sulla View Post
          Top players they are now

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk
          Careful now. New thread and all that.

So, the question remains: what the **** are they gonna do if McPhillips gets injured or just has a bit of a wobble?

I think the lad has shown great promise and maturity and, like PJ before him, is benefitting from a being thrown in at the deep end with little expectation of success. But the pressure will gradually come on and if he hits a rough patch they have little to fall back on.

Comment

Originally posted by FinnoFC View Post
            Agreed, keeping those boys fit and having a consistent run of selection in the back row out of the likes of Marcel, Nordi, Reidy and Timoney will be huge.

Squad depth is a legit concern and the fact that there’s a delay in the incoming coach and a delay in the outgoing CEO means recruitment will prove difficult. The depth may have to come from the academy, sensible selection of wiser veterans such as Cave will be needed as much as minutes for Curtis, Lowry, Dalton, Cairns, O’Toole and O’Hagan will also prove vital.

The injuries of marshall and ludik in that last crucial game really stretches the depth at 15 and centre. Will Addison will be a busy boy.

A final thought on some depth issues, excluding the obvious lack of help for McPhillips (am I the only one who would take Steeno for 2 years?!) is the fact that Cooney may well be more involved with Ireland. The recent release of Aaron Cairns and the retirement of wee Paul means it’s up to wee Dave, who sadly had a tough end to be season.

Another academy lad, Stewart may see more game time, as could the even younger other Curtis.

One things for sure, before a ball is kicked or a pass is thrown we’ll either have hitched our wagon to these promising youngsters and committed to a fresh start....or we’ll have signed a flaky flamboyant foreign fly half and we’ll lather rinse and repeat for another year!

One guy I’d love to see more of this year - Lyttle, fingers crossed he gets a run of fitness.
            Ulster could do worse than bring in Poland for a year or two. Not an experienced SH but he’s a good player and would give them another option.

I like wee Dave though, he’ll do ok I reckon. It’s gonna take a couple of seasons but I think Ulster have some good young talent in the squad.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post
              Ulster could do worse than bring in Poland for a year or two. Not an experienced SH but he’s a good player and would give them another option.

I like wee Dave though, he’ll do ok I reckon. It’s gonna take a couple of seasons but I think Ulster have some good young talent in the squad.
              If he objects to moving to Limerick then I'd say Belfast would be well outside his comfort zone

Comment

Originally posted by AwayFromHome View Post
                If he objects to moving to Limerick then I'd say Belfast would be well outside his comfort zone
                True enough. If he won’t leave Cork then a career as a pro rugby player is probably not for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

N
                  Last edited by Keyop; 11th-June-2018, 08:25.

Comment

Dave Shanahan is not up to standard in any aspect of his game.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
                    Commemorate Nevin Spence here -
                    http://www.mycharity.ie/event/munste..._nevin_spence/

Comment

Could Cooney switch to 10? It might be easier to find a back up scrum half and use him at 10. He looks to be in the Pienaar mould, excellent kicker and good tactical nous and seems to have built up massive respect from his performances over the season.
                      Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

Comment

He has the ability to switch to ten but tbh I’d only like to see him there if we’re in a pinch. He has excelled at nine and had a full season of games there this year and showed what he could do. McPhillips grew outside him so I’d tend to leave it as is. Many forget that when the media were down on PJ in his early days and calling for Ruan @ 10 and Wee Paul @ 9 that it very rarely worked well, with Ruan often out of step defensively at 10 and not able to influence the game as much. I fear the same would happen with Cooney at 10, he’d be effective and capable, no doubt about, but we’d be sacrificing a strength at 9 for a minimal change at 10.

Tbh the onus is on Ulster to find a 2nd 10 and a 2nd 9 before the season starts, whether in house or the likes of Poland as suggested.

Comment

Jono Gibbes in shock move to La Rochelle. Starting in November.
                          The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Originally posted by The Word Is Born View Post
                            Jono Gibbes in shock move to La Rochelle. Starting in November.
                            Must have sorted out those family issues back home..
                            Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

His Family are in France. Good for him.
                              Originally posted by Sulla View Post
                              Must have sorted out those family issues back home..

Comment

Working...
                              X