• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Australian rugby in trouble

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-u...18-p4zg16.html

A report from Sydney morning Herald on pulling out of super rugby

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

2 things in that article stand out.. Rugby needs to be free to air over there now, to stand a chance and Australians are up there with the Welsh as the worst losers...

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Any good 10s who might fancy a sejour in NH?
      Has Fineen put Johnny down yet?

Comment

Originally posted by i_like_cake View Post
        2 things in that article stand out.. Rugby needs to be free to air over there now, to stand a chance and Australians are up there with the Welsh as the worst losers...

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
        What never gets reported is that no free-to-air broadcaster here bid to show Super Rugby in the last broadcast deal. Nor would they if Super Rugby continues.

Comment

Originally posted by FORWARD.... View Post
          Any good 10s who might fancy a sejour in NH?
          No good 10s here full stop

Comment

Originally posted by garryowen2323 View Post
            What never gets reported is that no free-to-air broadcaster here bid to show Super Rugby in the last broadcast deal. Nor would they if Super Rugby continues.
            And when you look at the viewing figures in the article, you can see why. Sad situation, but I’d imagine that with league, AUssie rules, soccer, being a long distance behind kiwi brothers isn’t a place many want to go.

Comment

Well, they may not bother to bid because they’re not at the races financially.

However, if the union made a set of games available only to FTA broadcasters, or even the whole comp, they might get some renewed interest.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post
                And when you look at the viewing figures in the article, you can see why. Sad situation, but I’d imagine that with league, AUssie rules, soccer, being a long distance behind kiwi brothers isn’t a place many want to go.
                The viewing figures for NRL and especially soccer here are low aswell. As are the figures from NZ and they dominate the comp. Sports viewing and attendance is dropping worldwide. Even the NFL juggernaut are reporting dropping figures now.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post
                  Well, they may not bother to bid because they’re not at the races financially.

However, if the union made a set of games available only to FTA broadcasters, or even the whole comp, they might get some renewed interest.
                  Offer some games to FTA for free? Absolutely zero chance. I don't know any sport down here who would do that. Would go bankrupt if so. Either way it's not Rugby Australia's property to decide that. It's SANZAAR's broadcast deal. It's same as saying RFU should put some Heineken Cup games on BBC. It's not their decision to make.

Comment

Offer some games to FTA for free? Absolutely zero chance. I don't know any sport down here who would do that. Would go bankrupt if so. Either way it's not Rugby Australia's property to decide that. It's SANZAAR's broadcast deal. It's same as saying RFU should put some Heineken Cup games on BBC. It's not their decision to make.
                    No, offer a package of some games specifically for FTA so the FTA channels aren’t bidding against subscription channels. They’ll still have to pay but it’ll be more affordable.
                    Same model used by the Pro14 in the latest deal. It’s pretty simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post
                      No, offer a package of some games specifically for FTA so the FTA channels aren’t bidding against subscription channels. They’ll still have to pay but it’ll be more affordable.
                      Same model used by the Pro14 in the latest deal. It’s pretty simple.
                      So devalue a product by offering it to channels who don't want it in the first place and reduce the revenue coming into national unions who are hanging on by a thread as it is? Just not realistic. Super Rugby's not suited to FTA anyway with the irregular kick off times, time differences etc. Fine for NRL/AFL when there will always be a match at X o'clock on a Saturday. For example Waratahs beat Highlanders to finally end the Aussie teams losing streak against Kiwis at the weekend. Their next home game is in July!

Comment

So devalue a product by offering it to channels who don't want it in the first place and reduce the revenue coming into national unions who are hanging on by a thread as it is? Just not realistic. Super Rugby's not suited to FTA anyway with the irregular kick off times, time differences etc. Fine for NRL/AFL when there will always be a match at X o'clock on a Saturday. For example Waratahs beat Highlanders to finally end the Aussie teams losing streak against Kiwis at the weekend. Their next home game is in July!
                        had no idea- best of luck building a fan base with that- on seats or sofas.

Comment

I thought the RSA threat to move all Super teams to the P14 was a negotiation tactic, in fact it's a no brainer.

I can't say I feel too sorry for the Aussies, the world game has far too often been bent to their need (that farce with breakdown rules, need to make games more high scoring/entertaining) driven by O'Neill. fact is the ARU is a badly run organisation and has failed to compete with other sports there with their messing with teams and disenfranchising fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Pony View Post
                            I thought the RSA threat to move all Super teams to the P14 was a negotiation tactic, in fact it's a no brainer.

I can't say I feel too sorry for the Aussies, the world game has far too often been bent to their need (that farce with breakdown rules, need to make games more high scoring/entertaining) driven by O'Neill. fact is the ARU is a badly run organisation and has failed to compete with other sports there with their messing with teams and disenfranchising fans.
                            I'd be biased obviously but I wouldn't call them badly run now. They failed to put structures in place during the good times sadly and really took their eye off the ball during O'Neill's second reign in charge. Very hard to compete against national competitions like AFL/NRL where there's always an Aussie winner each week and always a feel good story. Think of Championship being on the same time of the year as rugby and the Irish teams are in the doldrums. Structure of Super Rugby is a mess. Expanded too much and conference systems got too confusing. I really hope Pro Rugby aren't slipping down the same route as SANZAAR did. I have an awful sense of deja vu but hope I'm wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Pony View Post

A few years ago the super whatsit seemed streets ahead of what we had in NH- despite what must have been logistical nightmares. It now looks like to boot may soon be on the other foot. Pro14 has an opportunity to develop over the next few years into something which is ahead of England and France, I hope those in charge have the vision to do so.

Comment

Working...
                              X