Reddan happy to show Munster...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reddan happy to show Munster...

Heineken Cup</font><hr noshade="noshade" size="1">Reddan happy to show Munster just what they are missing</font>Ian Malin
    </font>Saturday April 21, 2007
    </font>

Guardian</font>Downcast
    Munster supporters might find some tiny consolation in one of this
    weekend's Heineken Cup semi-finals. Switch on the television tomorrow
    afternoon and Eoin Reddan will be scampering around the edges of the
    Wasps scrum in their all-English encounter with Northampton at the
    Ricoh Arena.</font>

The
    deposed European champions might even be reminded that there is another
    pocket-sized scrum-half to rival their beloved Peter Stringer and that
    the former member of Limerick's Old Crescent club can rise to the big
    occasion. It was Stringer's blind-side break from a scrum that foxed
    Serge Betsen and turned the tide in last year's final against Biarritz
    at the Millennium Stadium. And it was Reddan, at 5ft 8in bigger than
    Stringer but still dwarfed by those giant forwards, who had his
    Stringer moment at Adams Park three weeks ago. Wasps had fallen behind
    to Leinster in their quarter-final when Reddan pounced on a stray pass
    from his opposite number Chris Whitaker and ran half the length of the
    field to score a try that hauled Wasps back in to the game. Wasps were
    rampant after the break when Reddan scored their fourth try too as
    Leinster were run ragged. This is the time of the season when Wasps,
    like their pesky insect namesakes, traditionally rediscover their sting.</font>

"He
    may be unsung outside the club but he's been very important to us,"
    said Wasps' captain, Lawrence Dallaglio. "It's been quite difficult for
    him this winter, flying out to join Ireland squads and not playing, but
    his performances have been outstanding. He must be putting serious
    pressure for the Irish No9 shirt on Stringer and Isaac Boss and I'm
    sure it won't be long before Eddie O'Sullivan has a long look at him."</font>

Two
    years ago, though, Reddan was still in Stringer's shadow. The
    26-year-old is a Munster schools and Under-21 player who watched the
    men in red from the terraces at Thomond Park. He was noticed by the
    former Ireland and Wasps coach, Warren Gatland, and in the summer of
    2005 Wasps offered Reddan the chance to understudy Matt Dawson. Except
    it did not turn out like that. By the middle of the season and after a
    shambolic defeat at Llanelli Reddan had deposed the World Cup-winning
    England scrum-half who eventually retired at the end of the season.
    Reddan says he owes Dawson an enormous debt and that, rather than
    resenting the newcomer, Dawson was a constant support.</font>

"I
    know Matt has his detractors and he even said to me once that rugby was
    not a popularity contest but with me he was a complete gent. He was
    always full of advice and very helpful and I still speak to him from
    time to time. Sometimes you work with coaches who haven't played the
    game for 30 years. But Matt's advice was always relevant because he was
    familiar with the way a scrum-half plays in the modern game.</font>

"And
    Wasps is a club like Munster in some ways. It has an earthy feel to it.
    I know people say that we don't have our own ground but there is
    something here you can't recreate, a real team spirit. Wasps have the
    knack of making shrewd signings, like Matt, or Phil Vickery or Raphael
    Ibanez. These are quality players but had lost their way a bit and they
    were grateful to be s

Delighted for the lad - I saw his talent when he was with Connacht!

Isn't he so lucky that he escaped to Wasps instead of spending a couple more seasons on the Munster bench watching Kidney trying to makea sow's ear out of a silk purse. And wasn't Frank Murphy a wise man too?

(And aren't the Leinster Brains Trust a shower of fools for not trying to sign Reddan or Murphy ahead of Whittaker - I forgive them Guy Easterby, because that was an IRFU diktat.)
    New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

He must have developed a brain much later because it was missing in his time here.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Dog

Delighted for the lad - I saw his talent when he was with Connacht!

Isn't he so lucky that he escaped to Wasps instead of spending a couple more seasons on the Munster bench watching Kidney trying to makea sow's ear out of a silk purse. And wasn't Frank Murphy a wise man too?

(And aren't the Leinster Brains Trust a shower of fools for not trying to sign Reddan or Murphy ahead of Whittaker - I forgive them Guy Easterby, because that was an IRFU diktat.)

The only thing I'd agree in that is Frank Murphy being wise to move on. And I'm delighted he is getting on so well.

Gerry Hurley should take note.

Comment

Sorry Point hate to disagree with you, and agree with OD .. Reddan &amp; frank Murphy were both being wasted at munster.. and both have proven that in their moves to the english clubs.

I felt both were underrated in their performances for munster, though I would still have had stringer ahead of them I would have liked to see them get more opportunity to play with a largely first choice team.
          Plato: \"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.\"

Comment

Originally posted by lahinch_lass

Sorry Point hate to disagree with you, and agree with OD .. Reddan &amp; frank Murphy were both being wasted at munster.. and both have proven that in their moves to the english clubs.

I felt both were underrated in their performances for munster, though I would still have had stringer ahead of them I would have liked to see them get more opportunity to play with a largely first choice team.

Frank Murphy I would agree with but Reddan got loads of chances.

Comment

Reddan was never bad though .. he was always reliable in the performances I saw .. and that's a heck of a lot more than can be said of quite a few scrum-halfs, and certainly way better than TOL.

Murphy was the one rumoured to fall to pieces if he was operating with a pack going backwards. I didn't see him play for munster often enough to know if that was true.
              Plato: \"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.\"

Comment

Originally posted by Point
                Originally posted by lahinch_lass

Frank Murphy I would agree with but Reddan got loads of chances.

Yes and no.

Reddan got quirte a few games at CL level but most of them were when the internationals were away.

Bear in mind that our second choice team at that time, and particularly the pack, were not as strong as they are now, so Reddan played most of his rugby for Munster in quite a poor side.

He actually started off quite well but fadedas the season went on.

I think his confidence took a bit of a battering from playing all his rugby behind a poor pack in a demoralised looking team.

In fairness I think the system for the fringe players was quite poor at the time and have improved a lot since then. We are rotating the squad much beter than we used to, although we are restricted by international committments.

By the way OD, while I understand how much you love to blame Kidney for everythng, Reddan was coachedby Alan Gaffney at Munster, not DK.

Comment

Originally posted by HurlerOnDeDitch

By the way OD, while I understand how much you love to blame Kidney for everythng, Reddan was coachedby Alan Gaffney at Munster, not DK.

My reference to Kidney clearly related to hisFrankensteinian attempt to to make TOL into a scrum half.

The fact that Reddan left Munster for Wasps soon after Kidney's reappointment and Prendie's retention wereannounced is irrelevant.
                  New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Reddan looked like a rabbit trapped in the headlights yesterday...
                    \'For he that hath no stomach for this fight, let him depart\'.
                    Henry V - Battle of Agincourt 1415

Comment

Originally posted by Old Dog
                      Originally posted by HurlerOnDeDitch

My reference to Kidney clearly related to hisFrankensteinian attempt to to make TOL into a scrum half. Sure it was! [img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]

The fact that Reddan left Munster for Wasps soon after Kidney's reappointment and Prendie's retention wereannounced is irrelevant. Reddan had made up his mind to accept Wasps offer well before that.

Comment

Originally posted by thisyear?
                        I thought he did well. Cipriani had a bit of a mare and Reddan did his best to mix it up from 9 and take the pressure off.

Comment

Originally posted by epaddy
                          I thought he did well. Cipriani had a bit of a mare and Reddan did his best to mix it up from 9 and take the pressure off.

Iagree with EP [img]smileys/shock.gif[/img]
                          My computer thinks I'm gay
                          What's the difference anyway
                          When all the people do all day
                          Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by sewa

Originally posted by epaddy

Iagree with EP [img]smileys/shock.gif[/img]
                            yeah me too. [img]smileys/shock.gif[/img]

Thought Cipriani managed to show a couple of pieces of class though despite his inexperience.

the camera went to him about 20 mins in just after conceding the try in and the head had alredy dropped.

Comment

Rubbish, Reddan played well yesterday. He only played behind poor players for Munster and i think his confidence suffered. He clearly has progressed at Wasps and i would hope we get him when his contracts finishes as i think he offers a lot more than Stringer.

Comment

Working...
                              X