X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RichardP
    replied
    Originally posted by Bayern View Post
    Maybe if Munster could develop an outhalf, there'd be other options as opposed to leinster outhalves being the only option.
    It always adds so much to intelligent discussion and debate to toss in a sneering comment or two. Leinster took a long time to develop their own scrum-halves with them once having three outsiders in the squad, starter and backup both from Munster. Likewise at 10 there were a few members with non-Pale faces; forgotten those days have we?

Leave a comment:

• whimpersnap
    replied
    Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post
    A rugger city?
    All those people you see at games in RDS are just lost souls passing the time between communions, occasionally getting off their feet to join in the Robert Korney/David Korney chant.

Leave a comment:

• rathbaner
    replied
    I'd say Cork would be a great place for a final. Would the GAA be up for it though?

Leave a comment:

• AdolphusGrigson
    replied
    Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post
    Dublin's not a rugby city. Sure we have communions year round now!
    A rugger city?

Leave a comment:

• whimpersnap
    replied
    Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
    It has to be a rugby city. Nothing worse than the feeling of coming out of a big game into a city that doesn't give two ****s.

Rotate it between Rome, Cardiff, Embra, Twickenham and wherever the French want to put it on a defined cycle.

Edit - And Dubland, of course.
    Dublin's not a rugby city. Sure we have communions year round now!

Leave a comment:

• michael400
    replied
    You could get aer lingus and Ryanair to replace Turkish airlines Bilbao like winning the lotto for them BTW don't drink wine

Sent from my Lenovo A7600-F using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• AdolphusGrigson
    replied
    Originally posted by Murillo View Post
    Absolutely, €2.20 for a glass of wine in the fanciest place we could find. €1.80 for a coffee (con leche)

Buses were great value too.

I've brought our kids GAA team to Madrid for a European GAA tournament, hosted by one the rugby clubs there, pretty professional set up (good all weather pitch, clubhouse, sponsorship etc.

I'm sure Madrid would be a great venue, couple of decent sized stadia there too!

Spanish Rugby was on the up until Romanian referees nobbled them
    Yep, Madrid would be a cracker. Food and drink more expensive than Bilbao but not more so than Dublin, London etc. We stayed in Alcalá de Henares (University town outside Madrid) before driving to Bilbao and I'm sure lots of options outside the city to try as well as the city itself.

...perhaps give Spain a bit of a run with it. Madrid, Seville, Valencia.

Leave a comment:

• Murillo
    replied
    And the food and drink was very reasonable. For me it was an inspired choice by EPCR.

...and Barcelona - a non rugby city - holds the world record for a crowd for a club game.
    Absolutely, €2.20 for a glass of wine in the fanciest place we could find. €1.80 for a coffee (con leche)

Buses were great value too.

I've brought our kids GAA team to Madrid for a European GAA tournament, hosted by one the rugby clubs there, pretty professional set up (good all weather pitch, clubhouse, sponsorship etc.

I'm sure Madrid would be a great venue, couple of decent sized stadia there too!

Spanish Rugby was on the up until Romanian referees nobbled them

Leave a comment:

• michael400
    replied
    Problem with Bilbao is getting there and accommodation (price comparable to a weekend in Monaco or Dubai )

Sent from my Lenovo A7600-F using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• AdolphusGrigson
    replied
    Originally posted by Murillo View Post
    Bilbao was great craic, and the locals were brilliant, hotel prices aside it was a great success.

My least favourite venue is Twickers, may be the home of rugby but London, like Paris is ****e for a rugby weekend, cities are too big, fans get lost and the wider city has no interest.

I love the provincial French venues, Lyon, Bordeaux (in the new football stadium), Marseilles.. even Lille.

What was great about Bilbao was how central the stadium was, bang in the centre of town.
    And the food and drink was very reasonable. For me it was an inspired choice by EPCR.

...and Barcelona - a non rugby city - holds the world record for a crowd for a club game.

Leave a comment:

• Murillo
    replied
    It has to be a rugby city. Nothing worse than the feeling of coming out of a big game into a city that doesn't give two ****s.

Rotate it between Rome, Cardiff, Embra, Twickenham and wherever the French want to put it on a defined cycle.
    Bilbao was great craic, and the locals were brilliant, hotel prices aside it was a great success.

My least favourite venue is Twickers, may be the home of rugby but London, like Paris is ****e for a rugby weekend, cities are too big, fans get lost and the wider city has no interest.

I love the provincial French venues, Lyon, Bordeaux (in the new football stadium), Marseilles.. even Lille.

What was great about Bilbao was how central the stadium was, bang in the centre of town.

Leave a comment:

• AdolphusGrigson
    replied

I think if you had been to Bilbao you would not be saying that. Incredibly positive noises from everyone I spoke to - and that was Leinster, Munster, Ulster,Saracens, Cardiff, Glaws etc.

The problem with Bilbao was nothing to do with it 'not being a rugby city' is that accommodation was very expensive and travel a bit awkward.

Fantastic venue.

Leave a comment:

• Murillo
    replied
    Don't know if mentioned earlier but the booing of Barnes by Leinster fans (as well as Racing) when he went to get his medal was really poor. Not that he was great but seemed way over the top.

Haven't seen it mentioned in the media?
    The booing wasn't limited to the one or other set of fans, it appeared the be the whole stadium, not my style at all. Was disappointing.

Leave a comment:

• Balla Boy
    replied
    Originally posted by Daithi View Post
    Would it not be better going to a rugby city though?!?

E.g. Any one of the 6Ns capitals, or the secondary cities that have good enough rugby stadia, connectivity and accommodation,etc

P.s. Personally I'd love to go to Rome for a European final

Edit - And Dubland, of course.
    Last edited by Balla Boy; 15th-May-2018, 13:50.

Leave a comment:

• AdolphusGrigson
    replied
    Originally posted by neliog93 View Post
    There's been mutterings of Marseilles in 2020 (no thanks, dodgy and one of the few cities in the South of France not obsessed with rugby). There were previously plans to have it in the San Siro so if it's Italy more likely to be there. And long-term they want to have one in the States.
    Disagree about Marseilles - was there for Leinster v Toulon (semi)and it was fantastic venue.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X