• Time
  • Show
Clear All

British and Irish Cup to be scrapped

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/41997127

British and Irish Cup to be scrapped as English Championship sides withdraw

By Brent Pilnick
    BBC Sport

Rugby union's British & Irish Cup will be scrapped at the end of the season.
    It comes after the 12 clubs from England's second-tier Championship decided to withdraw for 2018-19.
    'A' sides from the four Irish Pro 14 clubs and 'Premiership Select' teams from the four Welsh regions face England's second-tier teams in pool stages and subsequent knockout rounds.
    Scottish sides pulled out of the event in 2014 and Championship teams tend to rest their best players in the cup.
    An RFU spokesperson told BBC Sport that Championship clubs were "looking into alternatives" for cup competition next season.
    The event was set up in 2009 as part of changes which saw the Championship replace the old National One as English rugby's second tier.
    The Cornish Pirates won the first event in 2010, while Munster 'A' beat Jersey in last season's final.

Well that's a pity was a useful competition for the 4 provinces as it was a chance for the younger members of the 4 squads to play competitive match's regularly.
    Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Probably too fanciful to think this could reinvigorate the AIL, I suppose. The theoretical increase in available players and whatever needs they'd have for competitive game time wouldn't make enough of a difference.
      Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
        Probably too fanciful to think this could reinvigorate the AIL, I suppose. The theoretical increase in available players and whatever needs they'd have for competitive game time wouldn't make enough of a difference.
        I think that it will give a boost to the AIL Club game, there have been many instances where players were taken from Club duty to play the British & Irish Cup with the clubs involved in very important games, playoffs, relegation etc.
        Personally, I think that the Clubs & Academy should be enough to provide sufficient game time.
        Also, it might re-ignite some interest in the Clubs & increase attendances.

Comment

Throw the four academies into the league.

Young academy players play together all season long rather than against one another week to week
          I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Soda Bread View Post
            I think that it will give a boost to the AIL Club game, there have been many instances where players were taken from Club duty to play the British & Irish Cup with the clubs involved in very important games, playoffs, relegation etc.
            Personally, I think that the Clubs & Academy should be enough to provide sufficient game time.
            I'd like to think so. However, I'm not holding out much hope that a return to the "good old days" is how the IRFU are likely to proceed. I think Cowboy's notion is more probable - and more beneficial to each province in the long run.
            Last edited by mr chips; 16th-November-2017, 21:24.
            Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post

Young academy players play together all season long rather than against one another week to week
              I like it, an inter-pro Academy, home and away, 6 good games per Province.

Comment

Ormond Lad will be on soon enough to say the idea of adding the academies to the league is impossible

I am the million man.

Comment

Wouldn't there be a welfare issue with playing professionals against club sides? I know the young lads are still developing and they're not making professional money but A sides are full of guys who are expected to be able to step up to senior level if needed. Big difference between a couple of pros dropping to AIL level for games and a team of pros playing the whole season.

Comment

They'd be too strong I'd imagine. They train 4/5 days a week vs 2 - 3 times for the clubs. I imagine the clubs would kick up an almighty fuss over it.
                    He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

provinces have no intentions of ending A teams.

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
                        How would it reinvigorate the AIL?
                        The Provinces will still be playing A games and theyre needed.

Originally posted by Soda Bread View Post
                        Boost in what way? And how many high profile club games bar the one or two that got a lot of media attention were players pulled from?

Where do these academies play? How many players will be in their squad? If they get injuries or players are called up to play pro14 where do they get cover?

Ormond Lad will be on soon enough to say the idea of adding the academies to the league is impossible

It is and it would be far better if very few A games are played(which wont happen) that players are distributed amongst the club teams already in situ.
                        You say throw the academies into the league? What division? Why should the clubs suffer relegation/demotion because of academy sides and then potentially lose access to players ontop of that?

Originally posted by redherring View Post
                        They'd be too strong I'd imagine. They train 4/5 days a week vs 2 - 3 times for the clubs. I imagine the clubs would kick up an almighty fuss over it.
                        Would academy sides be too strong? UCD chock a block with Leinster academy players never really been near winning an AIL title.

Comment

I'll just address the part directed at me.

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
                          How would it reinvigorate the AIL?
                          The Provinces will still be playing A games and theyre needed.
                          Yes, the players will surely still be playing A games, but with the B&I competition being axed they won't be playing as many, in as competitive an environment, without something being introduced as a replacement. This being an internet discussion board, a few of us posted some musings about what form that "something" might take. If you re-read what I said, I did not state that it would reinvigorate the AIL. In fact, I pretty much pointed out that it wouldn't - I thought my use of the term "too fanciful" conveyed that reasonably successfully. Perhaps it might have been clearer if I'd used the phrase "wishful thinking" instead?
                          Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Working...
                          X