<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=center>
    <T>
    <TR>
    <TD>
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 align=right>
    <T>
    <TR>
    <TD align=middle>

document.write('<SCR' + 'IPT ="" SRC="http://ad.uk.doubleclick.net/adj/www.unis&#111;n.ie/sportsdesk/rugby;pos=island;sz=250x250;tile=5;ord=11770554479 567260?"></SCR' + 'IPT>');

< = src="http://ad.uk.doubleclick.net/adj/www.unis&#111;n.ie/sportsdesk/rugby;pos=island;sz=250x250;tile=5;ord=11770554479 567260?">
    <!- Template Id = 1 Template Name = Banner Creative (Flash) -><!- Copyright 2002 DoubleClick Inc., All rights reserved. ->
    < src="http://m.uk.2mdn.net/879366/flashwrite_1_2.js">

dcmaxversion = 9
    dcminversion = 6
    Do
    On Error Resume Next
    plugin = (IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFl ash." & dcmaxversion & "")))
    If plugin = true Then Exit Do
    dcmaxversion = dcmaxversion - 1
    Loop While dcmaxversion >= dcminversion

<NO></NO><NO>
    <A HREF="http://ad.uk.doubleclick.net/jump/www.unis&#111;n.ie/sportsdesk/rugby;pos=island;sz=250x250;tile=5;ord=11770554479 567260?" TARGET="_blank" target="_blank">

</NO></TD></TR></T></TABLE></TD></TR></T></TABLE></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

Rugby nomad Peter Bracken takes latest twist this weekend

IT is only when visualising the familiar pugnacious poise of 16½-stone Peter Bracken that one realises the incongruity of the situation described in the text message . . . "Giving baby a bath. Call u in an hour."

Such is life for a new father, whatever the profession. By day, he grunts and snorts amidst the detritus of a rugby training ground; by night, he dotes upon seven-month-old daughter Lizelle.

This weekend, his profession will scale new heights. At Coventry City's Ricoh Arena on Sunday, Bracken is in line to start for Wasps as one of the few remaining Irish actors in this season's Heineken Cup script.

"There's a good chance I might be starting alright," he admits. Bracken, now 29, wasn't always the kind of guy to tread the path of mundane familiarity. Playing rugby in Tullamore, instead of being a footballer or a hurler was an early sign of deviance from the norm.

Such was his initial devotion to the sport, Leinster and Irish youth caps followed. Then a scholarship to St Andrew's College in Booterstown, the country lad flung headlong into the Dublin 4 maelstrom. He was on the all-conquering Irish schools team which went unbeaten throughout Australia in 1996 - "I partnered Bob Casey as a second-row, I hadn't been found out yet!" - before starting a construction course in Athlone IT.

Then, he deviated some more, heading south to play with Garryowen, then Bohemians, as opposed to a club nearer home and college.

Then, three months into reading about building sites, he walked out of class to start working on them.

"I was just sick of studying and I wanted to find out what the life itself was like," he recalls. For two years, he was a cub at the coalface

Can't get rid of that ad thingy on the side without messing the rest of it up [img]smileys/c&#111;nfused.gif[/img]

Has bracken lost 2 and a half stone in last couple of weeks!? [img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Amazing it states no1 got in touch with him for Ireland this year "about the Arg trip or other plans" Does that suggest the ladyz did nto try and sign him? Alos, what ignorance from EOS and co after calling him out on the summer tour last year...he must bea shoe in for Argentina at the moment....
      Seas suas agus troid!

Comment

Originally posted by LLCOOLJ14
        Amazing it states no1 got in touch with him for
        Ireland this year "about the Arg trip or other plans" Does that suggest
        the ladyz did nto try and sign him? Alos, what ignorance from EOS and
        co after calling him out on the summer tour last year...he must bea
        shoe in for Argentina at the moment....

The question is though, is he actually any good. Hes a beast of a man,
        and would be very useful as a "lifter" (apparently he is unreal in the
        gym), but as a prop is he better than, say, Ryan and Buckley? I
        haven't seen anything at all to suggest that, yet no one is calling for
        them to go (though it wouldn't be a bad idea)

Comment

Amazing it states no1 got in touch with him for Ireland this year "about the Arg trip or other plans" Does that suggest the ladyz did nto try and sign him? Alos, what ignorance from EOS and co after calling him out on the summer tour last year...he must bea shoe in for Argentina at the moment....

Cheika approached himself and Hogan when they were together for the Ireland A game against Australia in TP I think, but they had both agreed to go to Bristol by that stage. Poor man management by O Sullivan though - it's obvious he doesn't rate him too highly but you never know who might get injured and when you might need a guy to do a job for you. It's not really surprising though is it. There's definitely an oppportunity for a prop to stake a claim for a WC spot with a couple of strong performances in Argentina.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Cahill
            The question is though, is he actually any good. Hes a beast of a man, and would be very useful as a "lifter" (apparently he is unreal in the gym), but as a prop is he better than, say, Ryan and Buckley? I haven't seen anything at all to suggest that, yet no one is calling for them to go (though it wouldn't be a bad idea)

Well, he is about to start a Euro semi, and didnt look to out of place in a side that destroyed your lot a few weeks back...Ryan and Buckley are not availlable now,so I dont see why you compare him to them....you should look at him V the props you guys currently have signed...sure look at Mushy,even when he was leaving, Leinster was not his choice of destination.....
            Seas suas agus troid!

Comment

The question is though, is he actually any good. Hes a beast of a man, and would be very useful as a "lifter" (apparently he is unreal in the gym), but as a prop is he better than, say, Ryan and Buckley? I haven't seen anything at all to suggest that, yet no one is calling for them to go (though it wouldn't be a bad idea)

Well, he is about to start a Euro semi, and didnt look to out of place in a side that destroyed your lot a few weeks back...Ryan and Buckley are not availlable now,so I dont see why you compare him to them....you should look at him V the props you guys currently have signed...sure look at Mushy,even when he was leaving, Leinster was not his choice of destination.....
              Well what this has to do with Leinster I don't know, but anyway. If a player isn't in with a shot of an Ireland cap, then I'd reckon it becomes very difficult to persuade them to go interpro. The money is just so much better in the UK. Look at what a mid-table team like Newcastle can afford to pay Haymans, thats as much if not more than the "crown jewels" of Irish rugby are on, a team that won't be playing in the HEC (no matter what happens there).

Why aren't Ryan and Buckley available btw, according to the official site, they are both Irish?
              Comment

I rate him to be honest. I go to the odd wasps game and catch another batch of them on sky and he does a decent job for them. He's not the most mobile and he's a bit of a malco but he is a beast of a man. As you said he's a good lifter but he also scrummages very well, watch the last 15 minutes of the leinster game - he drives straight through loose heads on a fairly regular basis.However being a 'destructive' scrummager tends to get him pinged quite a bit as well. I'm not sure can he play loose-head as well? I wouldn't be jotting Bryan Young's name down on my world cup certs list if I was EOS anyway...

Comment

Those scrummaging problems are the same thing you hear about every tall prop out there. Sure, the same thing is being said about Buckley the whole time. As CoolJ says, he's about to play in the HEC semi. He's only played 15 times for Wasps according to the official site, since start 2005-2006 season. Interesting.

Cheika approached himself and Hogan when they were together for the Ireland A game against Australia in TP I think, but they had both agreed to go to Bristol by that stage.

If that's true, we can put the Leinsterfans 'But we asked them and they said no before we went for the SH fatties' to bed for once and for all. Cheika must have known he would be looking for a couple of props this summer and should have been chatting to those guys for 6 months.
                  You have to dare to lose to win, you have to dare to lose to win, you have to dare to lose to win. A winner hates to lose, but the winner is not afraid of losing. That\'s the difference, that\'s the difference.

- Prof. Willi Railo (sports psychologist)

Comment

Well what this has to do with Leinster I don't know, but anyway. If a player isn't in with a shot of an Ireland cap, then I'd reckon it becomes very difficult to persuade them to go interpro. The money is just so much better in the UK. Look at what a mid-table team like Newcastle can afford to pay Haymans, thats as much if not more than the "crown jewels" of Irish rugby are on, a team that won't be playing in the HEC (no matter what happens there).

Why aren't Ryan and Buckley available btw, according to the official site, they are both Irish?

Sorry, I was talking about the part where he says he heard nothing from Irleand re "other plans" and was saying he should have been the type player Leinster should have been approaching...and I was suggesting Ryan/Mushy are not options ot move to Leinster...sorry if unclear...

Called up to the senior tour last year hardly sugests he is nowhere near a cap..a few injurys out there and he would have had to play....Id have him ahead of Ryan and Mushy at the moment in the pecking order for Irish props....
                    Seas suas agus troid!

Comment

Originally posted by Sin a bhfuil
                      I wouldn't be jotting Bryan Young's name down on my world cup certs list if I was EOS anyway...

I wouldn't even know Bryan Young's name if I was EOS! [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]
                      You have to dare to lose to win, you have to dare to lose to win, you have to dare to lose to win. A winner hates to lose, but the winner is not afraid of losing. That\'s the difference, that\'s the difference.

Comment

Bracken starts...

McGeechan's selection of Cipriani comes as Alex King's troublesome knee has restricted the amount of training he has been able to do with the squad this week. Consequently, the teenager will don the No10 jersey for the second game in succession following a promising performance against the same opposition in Wasps 35-29 victory in the Guinness Premiership at Adams Park last weekend.

Whilst it is only Cipriani's second start at fly half, the talented youngster has clocked up 18 appearances and 44 points for Wasps this season. Having made his debut for Wasps as a 17 year old, coming on against Bristol in a Powergen Cup game in December 2004, Cipriani made his first start for the senior team at fly half against Saracens in the EDF Energy Cup last December.

Five of his appearances this season have been in Heineken Cup games, and he started at full back in all of Wasps recent European victories, against Perpignan, Castres and Leinster that got the team through to Sunday's semi final.

Cipriani's Academy team mate Dominic Waldouck starts outside him, with the teenagers flanked by the experience of a quintet of capped internationals in the remainder of the Wasps back line.

With McGeechan still spoilt for choice in his back three, despite the diversion of Cipriani, there is disappointment for England World Cup winner Josh Lewsey. With Lewsey, Paul Sackey, Tom Voyce and Mark Van Gisbergen all fit and available, McGeechan has gone with wingers Tom Voyce, who missed out on last weekend's game with a bruised foot, and Sackey, who played his first game in 13 weeks against Saints last Sunday, and making an immediate impact on his return with two tries against Northampton. Van Gisbergen, who clocked up 15 points last weekend after taking over kicking duties from the absent King, keeps his place at full back

Wasps' forwards pack shows only one change from the pack that dominated Leinster so comprehensively in the Heineken Cup Quarter Final at Adams Park three weeks ago. That change come in the front row, where Wasps are without England prop Tim Payne, out for the rest of the season with a knee injury. In his absence, England captain Phil Vickery shuffles across to loose head to allow Peter Bracken to come in at tight head.

King is one of four senior internationals on the bench, but should he get on the pitch on Sunday the game will be the 50th Heineken Cup appearance of his career. King will be the 43rd player to make the 50 landmark in Heineken Cup rugby, but the first Wasps player to do so in the history of the competition. Behind him are Lawrence Dallaglio and Simon Shaw, currently on 45 appearances each, with Joe Worsley on 43.

'Taking part in a Heineken Cup Semi Final doesn't come around very often,' said Director of Rugby, McGeechan, 'and Sunday's game will have a very different feel about it. Though we have experienced players in our team who have been to this stage in the competition once before, the challenge is still huge for everyone involved in Sunday's game.'

'We have pursued the policy of developing our young players throughout this season, and they have responded superbly to the opportunities they have been given. Sunday's game is no different. Dominic Waldouck and Fraser Waters are becoming a settled combination and playing Danny Cipriani at fly half gives us flexibility and some different options, which can be crucial at this time of the season.

'But we have selected on the basis that we approach this game with a squad of 22 players, which I think is very important. We've picked that 22 based on what we want to achieve throughout the entire 80 minutes, and all of them will have a role to play in the game.'

London Wasps team to face Northampton Saints in the Heineken Cup Semi Final at the Ricoh Arena, Coventry on Sunday 22nd April 2007, kick off 3pm is:

15 Mark Van Gisbergen <

Comment

Originally posted by Sin a bhfuil

Northampton Saints are:

15 Bruce Reihana (capt), 14 Sean Lamont, 13 Jon Clarke, 12 Robbie Kydd, 11 Ben Cohen, 10 Carlos Spencer, 9 Mark Robinson
                          1 Tom Smith, 2 Matias Cortese, 3 John Brooks, 4 Damien Browne, 5 Christian Short, 6 Paul Tupai, 7 Ben Lewitt, 8 Daniel Browne
                          Replacements
                          16 Dan Richmond, 17 Soane Tonga'uhia, 18 David Gerard, 19 Christian Labit, 20 Johnny Howard, 21 Luke Myring, 22 Paul Diggin

That fella couldn't throw a fit.

Comment

I'm amazed Spencer is picked to start with an all or nothing match coming up next week. [img]smileys/shock.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                            X