David Quinlan Retires

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

David Quinlan Retires

Just read on the BBC sports news ticker that David Quinlan has been forced to retire through injury. Hadn't he just re-signed with Leinster? That's a blow for someone who is only 26 or 27.

<TABLE =std_newsarta cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 summary="Layout table">
    <T>
    <TR>
    <TD =abstract colSpan=2>Northampton Saints centre David Quinlan has been forced to retire from rugby with immediate effect.</TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD =article colSpan=2>
    Upon reviewing results of a recent MRI scan with a neurosurgeon, Quinlan was left with no option but to call time on his career.
    “It was my firm intention to see out the remaining year of my contract,” said Quinlan. “And it is with great regret that I’ve had to end my career in this way. Rugby’s been a massive part of my life for many years and I’m going to miss it greatly.
    “It’s been a wonderful couple of years here at Franklin’s Gardens. I’ve loved playing for the Saints with some great guys and under some great coaches.
    “And in all my time I’ve never come across such a welcoming and dedicated set of supporters as those at Northampton.
    “I hope to contribute what I can for the remainder of the season to ensure that there will be Premiership rugby at the Gardens next season and European success this year.”
    Winner of two Ireland caps, Quinlan arrived at Franklin’s Gardens in summer 2005 from Irish province Leinster. His first appearance in Northampton colours was against Gloucester and he went on to turn out for the Saints 35 times, scoring three tries.
    “We’re disappointed to lose a player of his quality,” said head coach Paul Grayson. “It’s a cruel way for his career to finish this way. He put his body on the line time and again for the club.
    “David played a big part in our success last season. He’s a very intelligent man and his understanding of the game is very good.
    “We’re losing a leader as well as a well-liked member of the squad.”
    </TD></TR></T></TABLE>
    "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

A good solid provincial/club player that would do a job for any team he played in. Sad to see a young player retire early. Ciaran Potts also retiring due to injury this season, only 24.

Comment

He hadn't re-signed no, but its a really pity to see a young talened player have to retire so early due to injury, as ePaddy says, thats two this week.
        Comment

Seems to be happening more often....

Why did Potts retire?
          Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

What exactly is the injury that he has to retire with?
            Seas suas agus troid!

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud

Seems to be happening more often....

Why did Potts retire?
              he had a couple of bad injuries, I think it was the knee that finally done for him.
              Comment

Originally posted by blackadder
                Just read on the BBC sports news ticker that David Quinlan has been forced to retire through injury. Hadn't he just re-signed with Leinster? That's a blow for someone who is only 26 or 27.

The PA is reporting he is 29......
                Seas suas agus troid!

Comment

LL id say by the sounds of it (neurosurgoen) that its a necky,discy, spinal kind of thing.

good player, underrated in my opinion

Comment

I always thought he was a bit younger than that LL, still 29 is a few years early to be hanging up the boots.

Comment

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=629>
                      <T>
                      <TR>
                      <TD colSpan=3>
                      <DIV =mxb>
                      <DIV =sh>Saints hit by second retirement </DIV></DIV></TD></TR>
                      <TR>
                      <TD vAlign=top width=416><!- S BO -><!- S IIMA ->
                      <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=203 align=right>
                      <T>
                      <TR>
                      <TD>
                      <DIV>
                      <DIV =cap>Quinlan joined Saints from Leinster</DIV></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE><!- E IIMA -><!- S SF ->Northampton have seen a second player forced into premature retirement by injury after David Quinlan followed hooker Steve Thompson into retirement.

Centre Quinlan announced his retirement on Thursday because of a head injury, while Thompson quit on Sunday because of a serious neck injury.

"It's with great regret that I've had to end my career - rugby's been a massive part of my life," said Quinlan.

Saints boss Paul Grayson said: "He put his body on the line time and again." <!- E SF ->

Quinlan, who quit after getting the results of an MRI scan, made 35 appearances for the Saints after joining from Leinster and also won two Ireland caps.<!- E BO ->
                      </TD></TR></T></TABLE>
                      "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Sorry to see him have to retire due to injury. Best of luck to him in whichever career he hopefully has lined up.

Comment

<H1>Concussions force Quinlan to retire</H1>

John O'Sullivan

Northampton and Ireland centre David Quinlan has been forced to retire from rugby with immediate effect, thereby missing out on a chance to play in Sunday's Heineken European Cup semi-final against London Wasps.

A history of concussions during his playing career has meant that on the last but one occasion he received a blow to the head he was warned that any further incidents could have serious repercussions.

Having received another concussion in a recent match he consulted with a neurosurgeon, who on reviewing an MRI scan, advised him to quit the sport.

The 29-year-old admitted: "It was my firm intention to see out the remaining year of my contract and it is with great regret that I've had to end my career in this way. Rugby's been a massive part of my life for many years and I'm going to miss it greatly.

"It's been a wonderful couple of years here at Franklin's Gardens. I've loved playing for the Saints with some great guys and under some great coaches. And in all my time I've never come across such a welcoming and dedicated set of supporters as those at Northampton.

"I hope to contribute what I can for the remainder of the season to ensure that there will be Premiership rugby at the Gardens next season and European success this year."

Quinlan, who won two senior Ireland caps, played 35 times for Northampton on joining from Leinster in 2005. Educated at Blackrock College - he was a very fine soccer player in his youth - he graduated from UCD with a law degree and subsequently a Masters in criminology from Cambridge University. He also won a blue in rugby while at Cambridge.

New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Concussion is a nasty experience - even a one off.

I've suffered a few, (all rugby related [img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]) so can empathise with Quinlan.

I wish him well in his post playing career.

Comment

Sad to see the career of two players who had so many playing years ahead of them cut short. Best of luck to both Quinlan and Potts in future endeavours...
                              Chickens don\'t CLAP!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X