Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super Flop (14)

Black clouds gather for Sky ABOUT RUGBY
    <DIV =LeadPara>THE New Zealand Rugby Football Union were staying tight-lipped this week - the matter could yet end up in court - when Sky issued calamitous viewing figures for this season's Super 14 which has been torpedoed by the All Blacks' decision to withdraw its frontline players from the first half of the tournament. </DIV>
    <DIV =LeadPara>Using the showpiece Friday night game as a guideline, viewing figures in New Zealand are down nearly 23 per cent; this despite the fact that it is World Cup year and interest should be at fever pitch. This season's most-watched Super 14 match - between the Blues and Highlanders that attracted 269,400 viewers - would not have rated in the 10 most-watched games in New Zealand last season. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>Alarmingly, figures have not picked up noticeably since the return of the 22 All Blacks from their high-profile three-month training sojourn, with the viewing public's mood of disenchantment far from abated. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>Still, what goes around comes around. The NZRFU won't be able to cry wolf in June when an unrecognisable French squad arrive on a short tour. The semi-finals and final of the French club championships were always going to deprive Bernard Laporte of many leading players, while there are others the France coach is determined to rest for the World Cup. The result will be a French team of scarcely Third XV strength and the New Zealand public might just vote with their feet. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>(c) 2007 Telegraph Group Limited, London </DIV>
    Seas suas agus troid!

Oops! This could get messy - Ole Rupert won't like this at all!
    Trust is good; control is better. V I Lenin.

Comment

wonder is this one of the reasons around the, apparent, news that the Argies and Islanders are being invited to play in tri-nations next year?
      The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
      - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

Working...
      X