No announcement yet.

The Rugby RIP Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matthew J Watkins, Dragons, Llanelli and Wales Centre has died from Pelvic Cancer.

He was only 41. RIP

RTÉ have tributes

Comment

Jesus, that's no age. Shocking when it's someone you would have seen playing so recently.
      Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Absolutely. He did a lot of fundraising in recent years, seemed like a really good guy
        "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Andy Haden has died from cancer. He was 69.

He played 117 times for New Zealand of which 43 were tests, eight of the latter as captain.

EDIT He played against Munster twice, in '73 in Musser in the 3-3 draw and in '78 in Thomond.

Last edited by Piquet; 29-July-2020, 20:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
            Andy Haden has died from cancer. He was 69.

He played 117 times for New Zealand of which 43 were tests, eight of the latter as captain.

EDIT He played against Munster twice, in '73 in Musser in the 3-3 draw and in '78 in Thomond.
            He was not popular in Wales after his infamous "dive" from a line-out against Wales in 1978.

The incident resulted in a penalty which Brian McKechnie kicked to give New Zealand a 13-12 win in Cardiff.

"It was the only way to be able to conjure up a victory," Haden said. "And I've lived with it and I don't regret it because that's what you do for your team - you do whatever comes into your mind at the time."

The incident still rankles with Welsh fans and players years after the event, even though there is a question mark over whether Haden's dive actually resulted in the penalty.

English referee Roger Quittenton has said he penalised Welsh lock Geoff Wheel for a barge on Frank Oliver, the other All Black second-row.

However, Oliver also appeared to dive.

Whatever the truth of the matter, Haden was clear that the All Blacks had a plan if they were losing the match.

"We talked about that before the match that something like this might be necessary," he said.

"And you don't talk about it, and rehearse it, think about it in your mind and not do it.

"If you've planned to do it you do it, and you don't whinge about it later on and you don't wimp out at the time if that's what's necessary.

"It was necessary. It was 10-12, time up on the clock, so it was time to get on and do the job."

The 62-year-old Haden played in 42 Test matches for New Zealand between 1977 and 1985.

He remained convinced he did the right thing.

"You don't go back to your dressing shed seat after the match is over and say 'oh, I wish I'd done this or I wish I'd done that'," he said.

"You do whatever you have to do at the time and get the job done.
            "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

It's the New Zealand way.

Comment

Working...
              X