The Rugby RIP Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Rugby RIP Thread

I'll start it off with "Stack" Stevens the Penzance and Newlyn, Cornwall, England and Lions prop who died on Tuesday.

The Grauniad has an obit

RIP.
    Good call Piquet.
    Would Stack Stevens have worn the Number 1 geansaĆ­?
    Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Anyone want to go to Reggie's funeral? What an absolute tit an embarrassment to rugby.
      Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud View Post
        Anyone want to go to Reggie's funeral? What an absolute tit an embarrassment to rugby.
        Everything in moderation
        Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by ustix View Post
          Would Stack Stevens have worn the Number 1 geansaĆ­?
          Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
            I'll start it off with "Stack" Stevens the Penzance and Newlyn, Cornwall, England and Lions prop who died on Tuesday.

The Grauniad has an obit
            Nice interview with Stack Stevens here, explaining why he couldn't tour with the 1974 Lions, after being on the winning tour to NZ in 1971 ...

https://twitter.com/BBCCornwall/stat...10095935066114
            "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
            Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

The Grauniad had an obit, last week on Tom Von Vollenhoven who died on the 21st of October.

Tom Voll, as he became known later, played on the wing for South Africa against the Lions in 1955, scoring a Hat-Trick in the Second Test ( marking A J F O'Reilly).

He "went north" shortly afterwards and had a distinguished career with St Helens.
              Last edited by Piquet; 2nd-November-2017, 13:05.

Comment

Difficult to read this thread without thinking of Moss Keane, Axel and Willie Duggan.
                And Neville Furlong for that matter
                Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Indeed it is. But in my defence, those you have mentioned predeceased the initiation of the thread and they all got their individual threads. Deservedly so.

Comment

Ken Catchpole Randwick, New South Wales and Wallaby Out Half and Captain has died. The Grauniad has an obit.

Comment

Another former AB dies early

Dylan Mika RIP
                      https://www.independent.ie/sport/rug...-36724425.html
                      Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Keith Murdoch, the All Black sent home from the tour of '72-3 has died. The
                        Grauniad has an obit.

He never reached New Zealand and became a recluse in Australia.

Comment

bizarre story, the Keith Murdoch one.

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
                            Keith Murdoch, the All Black sent home from the tour of '72-3 has died. The
                            Grauniad has an obit.

He never reached New Zealand and became a recluse in Australia.
                            Stormed over for a winning try in old Arms Park against arguably the best NH team of the amateur era, the team which backboned successful Lions teams in 1971 and 1974. Apparently freaked out and wrecked the kitchen of the team hotel that night.

Comment

Mick O'Callaghan Sundays Well, Young Munster, Munster and Ireland has died.

He was on the Munster team that lost 6-3 to the All Blacks in '64 and that beat Australia in '67. He got three Irish caps.

RIP

The Leader has an article.

Comment

Working...
                              X