Property developers hindering rugby hopes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Property developers hindering rugby hopes

<DIV =LeadPara>CASH-RICH property developers repeatedly dashed a junior rugby club’s ambitions to secure a proper pitch and the club, it has been claimed. </DIV>
    <DIV =LeadPara>Bantry Rugby Club, which has not been able to play any home fixtures since last October, has appealed to Cork County Council to come to its rescue. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>In support, a member of senior side Clonakilty RFC spoke yesterday of the help they had received from the local authority over the years and their phenomenal recent success as a marker for the potential future of rugby enthusiasts in Bantry. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>Neil Clarke of Bantry RFC told Cork County Council’s western division that the club, which was re-established in 1992, had problems acquiring a proper pitch because each time it identified a suitable site near the town it was outbid by property developers. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>"We just can’t compete. We can’t secure ground of any description near the town. The price of four-and-a-half acres, which we need, would be prohibitive," Mr Clarke said. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>"We have now over 100 underage and 40 adult members registered. We can’t develop our underage teams fully as we have no home venue for games." </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>Mr Clarke said the success of Munster and Irish rugby made the sport very popular in the area and proper facilities would draw more players, including people from the Beara Peninsula. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>He said the club had identified land at Letterlickey and was hoping the council would help it financially. The total cost of the project was estimated at €590,000. The club expected a National Lottery grant of €250,000 and was also prepared to fundraise itself. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>One of the mentors in the original club, founded in 1926, was the uncle of the leader of the Catholic Church in England and Wales, Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O’Connor. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>Clonakilty RFC spokesman Ray O’Neill backed the plea and said that, with proper facilities, the Bantry club could also go from strength to strength </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>The request won support from all councillors including FF’s Cllr Christy O’Sullivan, whose daughter, Eimear, plays with the Irish Women’s senior rugby team. He said the work done by Clonakilty RFC, especially for the town’s youth, had been marvellous. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>Cllrs Donal Casey (FF) and Noel Harrington (FG) said it would be an admirable project for the council to get involved in. The latter proposed that the request for financial help be referred to the council’s full GPC (General Purposes Committee) for approval. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>Cllr Tadhg O’Donovan (FG) said young people needed as many different sports as possible, while Cllr Donal O’Rourke (FF) added that such infrastructure development would improve the quality of life in the area. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>"There was a time when people would have feared the growth of rugby would affect the GAA but those days are gone," add Cllr Joe Carroll (FF). </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>Assistant county manager Theresa White said that she would consider funding through development charges. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>© Irish Examiner, 2007. Thomas Crosbie Media, TCH </DIV>
    Seas suas agus troid!

developers are making s**t of this country not to mind Junior rugby.

Look at the impending disgrace in the shape of Con and Douglas Golf

Comment

Clonakilty RFC spokesman Ray O’Neill

That's ironicas I believeRay is the O'Neill in Sherry Fitzgerald O'Neill ! [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]That said, he has beena great clubman for Clon.

Comment

Talk about putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5.They are implying that developers are deliberatelypreventing the rugby club from getting grounds.

My computer thinks I'm gay
        What's the difference anyway
        When all the people do all day
        Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by joeglum

You can't blame the developers in the above two cases but rather the members of the two clubs who are prepared to sell out.
          The early bird catches the worm but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Comment

What's disgraceful about the Con move? They've obviously looked at how things have worked for Nemo Rangers and are looking to secure their future in a similar manner. With Munster having hoovered up about 80% of their regular gate Clubs have to look elsewhere for revenue now.

Comment

Originally posted by Point

That's ironicas I believeRay is the O'Neill in Sherry Fitzgerald O'Neill ! [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]That said, he has beena great clubman for Clon.

And Neil Clarke of Bantry RFC is, presumably, the Neil Clarke in

http://www.neillclarkeauctioneers.com/about.html too!

Well, the very best of luck to him and to my new local rugby club! [img]smileys/cool.gif[/img]

New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Dog

Well, the very best of luck to him and to my new local rugby club! [img]smileys/cool.gif[/img]

Old Dog! Have you immigrated to the Peoples Republic? Is so how did you swing the Visa? or are you an illegal?

Comment

That's ironicas I believeRay is the O'Neill in Sherry Fitzgerald O'Neill ! [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]That said, he has beena great clubman for Clon.</font>

http://www.neillclarkeauctioneers.com/about.html</font> too!

Come on OD - spill the beans!!!!
                  Trust is good; control is better. V I Lenin.

Comment

Sorry but I'm staying mum for the moment!

I don't want the locals mounting a petition to keep greater Bantry a dog-free zone. Plus, my preferred route to Bantry takes me past Beal na Bláth - and we all know what might happen to me there if Munsterforever hears about this!
                    New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

So should we alert Jennifer at the Branch that you'll be applying for a season ticket?
                      Trust is good; control is better. V I Lenin.

Comment

It's great to see Estate Agents representing the oppressed rugby clubs [img]smileys/shock.gif[/img]

Comment

That's not unusual, and worse has happened in other clubs.The club that nurtured2 (recent)Munster and Ireland stalwarts (&amp; captains)went out of business for the same reasonjust over10 years ago.

The government takes inbillions from building and 'developement'. It puts back a fraction of the amount into developing services and amenities - or sometimes nothing. That town that I mentioned now has less amenities and services that when it was less than 1/4 the size. Something doesn't compute. Can't blame the developers only - they are just taking advantage of a situation that has been setup for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Soprano

developers are
                            making s**t of this country not to mind Junior rugby. Look at the
                            impending disgrace in the shape of Con and Douglas Golf
                            [/
                            P]

What's disgraceful about the Con move? They've obviously looked
                            at how things have worked for Nemo Rangers and are looking to
                            secure their future in a similar manner. With Munster having
                            hoovered up about 80% of their regular gate Clubs have to look
                            elsewhere for revenue now.
                            As a Con man there's obviously not much point saying this to you but
                            I'll give it a go- they have been an integral part of the area for as
                            long as anyone can remember- Templehill and Con are intrinsically
                            linked.
                            If you remove the club from the area you remove from the club an
                            intergal part of their identity. You also rob the Ballinlough,
                            Ballintemple, Skehard raod area of a valuable community resource.
                            If every green space/ leisure facility/ sports club sells up it's land to
                            line the pockets of developers and a couple of greedy club members
                            then what? Communities grow up around leisure/ club facilities in the
                            first place.

Comment

[QUOTE=Arthur Guinness]

developers are making
                              s**t of this country not to mind Junior rugby. Look at the impending
                              disgrace in the shape of Con and Douglas Golf

You can't blame the developers in the above two cases but rather
                              the members of the two clubs who are prepared to sell out.[/
                              QUOTE]

Without the developers there is nobody "incentifying" members to sell.

The developers are as abad as the greedy members and the planners
                              are possibly the worst in this case.

Comment

Working...
                              X