Financial state of (Foreign) Rugby competition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
    But if all clubs agree to it and agree that there are penalties for breaching it why is it legally vulnerable ?
    They don't all agree to it, hence Wray threatening court action. It is a complete nonsense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

An article in today's Daily Torygraph is saying that the EPL clubs have never had it so good with attendance records through the roof and everyone making handsome profits thatnks to the salary cap.
      Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

Comment

"Several" teams turn a profit. Now several can be six, it can also be 2, which would be my estimate of the number of English teams that will turn a profit this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mule
          Nigel Wray, Saracens' owner, is nearly 70. How much longer is he going to guarantee their overdraft?
          Francis had a good topic to discuss, but it was a scattergun piece. Nigel Wray must be concerned about his future on this planet, if he was to read Franno's piece.

Comment

Leicester should resist the temptation to join the race to the bottom. They're in no danger of being relegated and, while they may not win anything for a few years, they are far better positioned for survival and success in the long run.

The more responsibly run teams could start talking to us about breaking away and starting a new B&I league without the spivs...

Comment

Update on the thinking in South African rugby, four professional SA teams who "may not be playing in SANZAAR".

8 pro teams, not 14, in SARU's future

by Brenden Nel 13 April 2017, 08:20

South African rugby is likely to comprise of eight professional teams in future, with the rest being semi-pro or amateur, if the big changes proposed to the structure of SARU are undertaken.
              The eight teams – four in Vodacom Super Rugby, and four in a possible competition in a new market, backed up by a strong Currie Cup competition based on strength vs strength are part of the radical changes being proposed to SARU’s structures in future to streamline the game and bring rugby into a sustainable future.
              It is clear the current structures aren’t working and despite the outcry over the axing of two Super Rugby teams this week, results underline SARU’s contention that the economy of the game at the moment can only support four franchises in the competition.
              But while the pain of being excluded from Super Rugby is a bitter pill to swallow, SARU are busy with plans to find a new home for the two axed teams, as well as a new competition where four professional sides can support their Super Rugby allies in a second-tier competition that would see new markets being explored.
              SARU CEO told journalists this week that with the advent of the global season being finalised by World Rugby, it now meant that SARU could well look to new markets for new competitions. But this would mean taking some tough decsisions in the interests of SA Rugby.
              “It is high time we take tough decisions in the interests of SA Rugby,” Jurie Roux said.
              “It is high time we acknowledge we have a responsibility to take those tough decisions. This is what we as staff are paid for and certainly what people are elected for. This is the right time to make these decisions. Will people be angry? Yes they will be angry, will people be disappointed? Yes, they will be disappointed. My job is to get past that decision and then my next job is to find them somewhere else to play. Up until now that was impossible, given the decisions on the global season that has not been sorted.
              “There has been a pact between the southern and northern hemisphere not to do any deals until that has been sorted. The global season has been sorted until 2032, we know every nation we will play against until 2032.
              “We always have to allow for different competitions and now for the first time we are being approached by different entities for us to play.”
              Roux said that in an ideal world SARU would have eight professional teams and this is the direction the national body is moving in.
              “ In an ideal world we would probably have eight professional teams playing in different competitions in the world and then you would still have your 14 unions playing in the other competitions on a semi-professional basis. I’ve been advocating this since 2011 and it is high time that people listen to it.
              Read more here
              © supersport.com
              Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

Comment

How will they fund 4 more teams? I have read that NzAu dont want to keep paying the massive airfares and accommodation to play SA teams. So Saru would look at Europe but I can't imagine European teams wanting to shell out fortunes to fly 40+ people to South Africa...
                Last edited by Munstersrebel; 17th-April-2017, 17:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Munstersrebel View Post
                  How will they fund 4 more teams? I have read that NzAu dont want to keep paying the maddive airfares and accommodation to play SA teams. So Saru would look at Europe but I can't imagine European teams wanting to shell out fortunes to fly 40+ people to South Africa...
                  If they bring enough TV and sponsorship money they'll be of interest to the Pro12. That will more than offset travel costs.

Comment

Couple of interesting developments. BT has just got rid of a couple of the more prominent supporters of their spending on sports rights and replaced them with considerably more cautious alternatives. And Saracens are complaining about wage inflation compromising their ability to retain players. Hopefully that indicates that Johan Rupert has had enough of throwing money at a loss making organisation and is thinking about pulling the plug, especially if they have to take a hit on their TV money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Not sure where to put this.. but Pichot see the ruin of rugby approaching...

One of rugby’s most senior officials has warned that the entire future of the international game is under threat unless urgent action is taken within the next 12 months
                      He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

" But ask the big club owners and they all want the international game. It is not a question of them not wanting the international game.”

The only reason that the Nigels "want the international game" is so that they can get paid for releasing their players.

Comment

He is essentially laying the blame at the PRL.... Quelle surpise?! Rugby has already gone down the route of football and unless there is significant financial restructuring the game is f*cked.
                          He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
                            " But ask the big club owners and they all want the international game. It is not a question of them not wanting the international game.”

The only reason that the Nigels "want the international game" is so that they can get paid for releasing their players.
                            And to increase revenue - gates, marketing,etc.- it has little or nothing to do with the national team, and is almost entirely self interest.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

And to increase revenue - gates, marketing,etc.- it has little or nothing to do with the national team, and is entirely self interest.
                              Fixed that for you

"There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Working...
                              X