Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Racing Metro 92 & Stade Francais Merger...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Munstersrebel View Post
    I thought that too, but his issue is mostly with the commerce /juridical entity of Racing 92
    True but that entity might no longer exist in a few months which could mean that Goosens is free to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrizzzie View Post
      True but that entity might no longer exist in a few months which could mean that Goosens is free to go.
      I would think the lawyers wouldn't let that one slide

Comment

some more news here...

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/stade...-merger-116639
        He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Originally posted by i_like_cake View Post

Strike? No better place for that to happen, the Air Traffic Controllers will probably row in behind them as well.

Comment

Mergers are nightmares. Just because you're the best of two or more people going for then one job in the new unified entity doesn't mean you'll get it. Politics, popularity, optics, contracts, age, nationality and gender all influence things.

If I was ROG I'd be looking at my escape routes.
            Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

Comment

Fairly shocking! Could this be stopped. Do the FFR have the position to veto this? Can't imagine this being for the good of French Rugby.
              "The PRO12 is our domestic league, it's what you earn your bread and butter from; it's what pays the bills. We need to broaden our emphasis and get an understanding in Irish rugby that the domestic league from now on is most important and that's what qualifies you now for Europe.'' Garrett Fitzgerald, CEO Munster

Comment

Radio said ffr already said two promotions this season so already agreed
                "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
                  So does this mean that there's trouble in paradise? I presume that despite the torrent of cash in the French game that it's financial pressure that's driving this?
                  They probably don't actually need to merge. Might be that the owners reckon they can make more money by joining forces and monopolising top flight rugby in Paris at a significantly lower cost.

Good for the owners, not for their clubs. That's the route they chose to go in French rugby.

Comment

This is bonkers, surely it can't just be permitted to happen in as straightforward a manner as it's being made out? The practical issues at play at endless.

As for culture, Paris is Paris. They have a small hardcore who will obviously be put out, but they're a passive crew when it comes to sport in that City, especially rugby.
                    "There are probably more annoying things than being hectored about African development by a wealthy Irish rock star in a cowboy hat, but I can't think of one at the moment"

Paul Theroux

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post
                      They probably don't actually need to merge. Might be that the owners reckon they can make more money by joining forces and monopolising top flight rugby in Paris at a significantly lower cost.

Good for the owners, not for their clubs. That's the route they chose to go in French rugby.
                      And there we were, the other day, debating what is or isn't a rugby club!?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by busby View Post
                        This is bonkers, surely it can't just be permitted to happen in as straightforward a manner as it's being made out? The practical issues at play at endless.

As for culture, Paris is Paris. They have a small hardcore who will obviously be put out, but they're a passive crew when it comes to sport in that City, especially rugby.
                        Not really that complicated.

Mergers happen all the time and this is no different. Employees are let go, contracts renegotiated etc. It comes at a cost but the savings to the business in the long run make it worthwhile.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post
                          Not really that complicated.

Mergers happen all the time and this is no different. Employees are let go, contracts renegotiated etc. It comes at a cost but the savings to the business in the long run make it worthwhile.
                          Sad this is the philosophy around professional sport. Every time something like this happens it destroys the game a little. Clubs should be run and owned by there fans, no execption. Prevents business men from destroying what really matters.

Out of curisoity, what is our ownership structure like?
                          Last edited by KerryRed; 14th-March-2017, 10:06.
                          "The PRO12 is our domestic league, it's what you earn your bread and butter from; it's what pays the bills. We need to broaden our emphasis and get an understanding in Irish rugby that the domestic league from now on is most important and that's what qualifies you now for Europe.'' Garrett Fitzgerald, CEO Munster

Comment

Originally posted by KerryRed View Post
                            Sad this is the philosophy around perfessional sport. Every time something like this happens it destroys the game a little. Clubs should be run and owned by there fans, no execption. Prevents business men from destroying what really matters.

It happen with Bucaneers in the AIL and that proved successful...

Comment

Sad this is the philosophy around perfessional sport. Every time something like this happens it destroys the game a little. Clubs should be run and owned by there fans, no execption. Prevents business men from destroying what really matters.

Think MR is a wholly owned subsidiary of the IRFU. Not sure if it's simply a limited company or something else. I'm sure others here know more than I do about that.

The key thing for me is not really the corporate structure per se, it's the nature and motives of the ownership. If a team is owned and run as a for-profit business, stuff like this will happen all the time.

If it's being run as a not-for-profit with the aim of providing rugby for both players and supporters in the community, stuff like this will only happen when it's do-or-die.

Comment

Sad this is the philosophy around professional sport. Every time something like this happens it destroys the game a little. Clubs should be run and owned by there fans, no execption. Prevents business men from destroying what really matters.

Amatuer rugby clubs have merged in the past as well though. Nothing in this that's explicitly tied to private ownership.

They de-merge too - Wasps and Quins used to be one club.
                                "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Working...
                                X