• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Euro Champions Cup 16-17 general chat thread

Saracens set sights on Munster milestone

6 December 2016 10:11

Saracens have won 11 games in a row in the Champions Cup

Champions Cup holders Saracens are two wins away from equalling Munster's record of 13 successive tournament victories set between 2005 and 2007.

Mark McCall's men haven't lost in Europe since they were beaten 13-9 by ASM Clermont Auvergne in the 2015 semi-final at Stade Geoffrey Guichard. They became the first side to win all nine matches in one season to take the title last season.

Since then they have opened up with wins over RC Toulon and Scarlets this season and now face back-to-back clashes with fellow Aviva Premiership side Sale Sharks. The first game is at the AJ Bell Stadium on Saturday, 10 December, where they have already won once this season.

The Munster 13 match winning streak was as follows:
    2005: P1 bt Castres Olympique 42-16 (h); P1 bt NG Dragons 24-8 (a); P1 bt NG Dragons 30-18 (h)
    2006: P1 bt Castres Olympique 46-9 (a); P1 bt Sale Sharks 31-9 (h); QF bt Perpignan 19-10 (h); SF bt Lenster Rugby 30-6 (Lansdowne Road); Final bt Biarritz Olympique 23-19 (Millennium Stadium); P4 bt Leicester Tigers 21-19 (a); P4 bt Bourgoin 41-23 (h); P4 bt Cardiff Blues 22-12 (a); P4 bt Cardiff Blues 32-18 (h)
    2007: P4 bt Bourgoin 30-27 (a)

The Saracens 11 match winning streak to date is:
    2015: P1 bt Toulouse 32-7 (h); P1 bt Ulster Rugby 27-9 (a); P1 bt Oyonnax 45-10 (a); P1 bt Oyonnax 55-13 (h)
    2016: P1 bt Ulster Rugby 33-17 (h); P1 bt Toulouse 28-17 (a); QF bt Northampton Saints 29-20 (h); SF bt Wasps (24-17 (Madejski Stadium); Final bt Racing 92 21-9 (Grand Stade de Lyon); P4 bt RC Toulon (a); P4 bt Scarlets (h)
    I am the million man.

I certainly wouldn't have bet on us winning 13 in a row after we took a spanking off Sale in Edgeley Park in 2005. Just goes to show that things can turn around quickly.

Can't see the record standing for too much longer unless Sale can do us some sort of ironic favour.
    "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

It'll get to 14 before Toulon go to Hendon needing a win in the last round.

Comment

Wummiskey was asked to name the pick of the 4 provincial euro games this weekend on off the ball:

"Oh, Leinster definitely!"

• Ulster host Clermont, who are the top team in France and 3 wins in their last five. Rory Best has led Ireland into parts unknown this past 6 months, he is a record holding Irish captain for a list of reasons. Ulster have wobbled massively this season and badly need to make Ravenhill rock to rebuild confidence, Tommy Bowe is fit Hendo is fit, Piatau is a weapon.

• Connacht are in Coventry to play arguably the most exciting side in England, plus Pat Lam just signalled his departure yesterday. Conn are 1st, Wasps are 2nd in the pool.

• Munster host Leicester, who did the double on us last season. We've lost our head coach and gone unbeaten since, we've sold out the game. Leicester are 4th in the AP, have won 4 of their last five games, in Conor Murray and Ben Youngs we are probably watching the opening rounds of who will start at 9 for the B&I Lions in NZ next year.

• Northampton are 9th in the AP, bottom of the european pool, and they have 5 wins in total combining the league and cup this year. Leinster play in Dublin.

How does he expect to be taken seriously if he wont answer a simple question seriously. If anything there is less riding on the Leinster game this weekend than any other Irish province, they have the arguably easiest game all weekend.

Wake up Gavin.
        Last edited by Cowboy; 6th-December-2016, 16:35.
        I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post

• Connacht are in Wycombe to play arguably the most exciting side in England, plus Pat Lam just signalled his departure yesterday. Conn are 1st, Wasps are 2nd in the pool.

Coventry.

Comment

• Northampton are 9th in the AP, bottom of the european pool, and they have 5 wins in total combining the league and cup this year. Leinster play in Dublin.

Northampton

Comment

Wummiskey was asked to name the pick of the 4 provincial euro games this weekend on off the ball:

How does he expect to be taken seriously if he wont answer a simple question seriously. If anything there is less riding on the Leinster game this weekend than any other Irish province, they have the arguably easiest game all weekend.

Wake up Gavin.
              Maybe he meant getting to see JJ playing at 12?

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
                Northampton
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-12-06 at 16.33.26.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	2488426
                I am the million man.

Comment

[/LIST]

Coventry.
                  Now changed, had forgotten their relocation.
                  I am the million man.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14880[/ATTACH]
                    Next Friday night, they play in Northampton.

Comment

Next Friday night, they play in Northampton.
                      Wheres Cummiskey from? Wheres Leinster based?

Christ.
                      I am the million man.

Comment

Wheres Cummiskey from? Wheres Leinster based?

Christ.
                        As a neutral, gotta say that wasn't very clear. Describing how interesting/not interesting a particular game is & saying Leinster play in Dublin made me double check the schedule. I just don't have that kind of time

Comment

Originally posted by mickiemcfist View Post
                          As a neutral, gotta say that wasn't very clear. Describing how interesting/not interesting a particular game is & saying Leinster play in Dublin made me double check the schedule. I just don't have that kind of time
                          That's what piquet is for
                          I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Jenta View Post
                            I certainly wouldn't have bet on us winning 13 in a row after we took a spanking off Sale in Edgeley Park in 2005. Just goes to show that things can turn around quickly.
                            I dunno, they got two lucky tries - a screw up at the base of the scrum a few metres in front of our line and us with a new SH and then a lucky bounce while we were in attack and the ball landed in the arms of Billy Whizz, and that was that. Plus we lost Quinnie to injury. We cudda shudda.
                            Last edited by rathbaner; 10th-December-2016, 23:00.
                            Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

Comment

Not sure if this is the right place for the discussion, but the TV situation is taking the p'ss, IMHO. Both Leinster and Munster's back to backs are on BT/eirsport. I can't see how this is remotely fair on the supporters but it looks to me as though Irish supporters are getting the raw end of the "deal".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X