Rodney Ah You- Ulster
    George Naoupu- Harlequins
    Fionn Carr- Naas RFC
    Robbie Henshaw - Leinster
    Aly Muldowney - Grenoble
    Jason Harris-Wright - London Irish
    AJ MacGinty - Sale
    Ian Porter - AIL side
    Conor Finn - unattached (possibly still Galwegians)
    Api Pewhairangi - London Broncos (League)
    Dave McSharry - Retirement

First Year Academy:
    Peter Claffey - Lock
    Cillian Gallagher - Lock / Blindside Flanker
    Conor Kenny - Tighthead Prop
    Stephen Kerins - Scrumhalf
    Adam Leavy - Winger
    Matthew Byrne - Winger
    Last edited by wp_rathead; 2nd-September-2016, 23:50.

Cian Kelleher could be a great signing for us. A real fast elusive runner. He will get an opportunity over the year.
    Rodney, Too much work needed to keep him going and even then he struggles.
    Henshaw, Muldowney and Macginty will be badly missed but others will step up.
    When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

Connacht draw Wasp's, Toulouse and Zebre
      I'll happily take that

Comment

Yeah, nice pool
        "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Although McGinty performed much better than anyone thought (might have made SA series if he wasn't tied to the US) with Carty coming back (health permitting - and another who seemed to be outperforming his perceived ceiling) Ronaldson and Boshoff I don't think that's where Connacht will feel the pinch.

Henshaw means the loss of a 'star' (and corresponding focal point for supporters) independent of his actual contribution on the pitch, but it's the loss of a playmaking-lock (did I really just say 'playmaking lock' ?) in Muldowney that could really hurt Connacht given their expansive game plan.

Comment

Some nice words from Finn Russell re Connacht

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugb...port-1.2705340
            Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

I think MacGinty is a big loss. I thought he was playing superb rugby towards the end of the season. His all round game was very good.
              Where they'll feel Henshaw's loss most is in the big games. He didn't play many league games last season but in the final he played a big part in their win over Leinster.
              Muldowney is another who will be missed. He had a unique role in the team that he was very good at.

But its not all bad for Connacht. Boshoff has a very high kicking percentage and thats worth a few wins over the season especially in the winter months. Griffin is a quality player to bring back. Kelleher has a very high ceiling and is one to watch. Fox-Matamua will be like a new signing.

Last seasons academy players will be better this season. Sean O'Brien looked very good towards the end of the season. Delahunt is another player who impressed me along with some others. So things look healthy in Connacht and thats before you include some of the Ireland U20s like Gallagher, Claffey, Kerins and O'Donnell.

I can see them making the top 4 again next season. It'll be harder in some ways because teams are more aware of them now and theres no world cup but last season they lost a few winnable games also.

Comment

The experience of Henshaw (I know he's young but he's a senior player now) and Muldowney will be very hard to replace. What Connacht have done a very good job of is creating new leaders within the squad, plus the likes of Aki who were born into the role. From the limited amount I've seen of Boshoff, he has the potential to be one too.

Comment

From Gavin Cummiskey in the IT:
                  "Merited

The Pro12 champions got a draw their top seeding merited, with Connacht grouped alongside Wasps, Toulouse and Zebre. They famously won in Toulouse back in December 2013 (only to tumble 37-9 a week later at the Sportsground), but they have a decent chance of qualifying if South African outhalf Marnitz Boshoff proves a successful replacement for AJ MacGinty."

Seems he not only takes (not so) sly digs at Munster!

Comment

where is the dig at Munster?
                    He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Meh, wasn't really a dig at Connacht, we did play poor in the return fixture (although I remember Marmion was in hospital on a drip with really bad flu like 24hours before KO)
                      That said Gavin is a bit of a gob****e, just this week he tweeted that some of the u20s who didn't get into the Leinster Academy were free "to be stolen"

Comment

Job Opportunity: Fan Engagement Manager

http://www.connachtrugby.ie/job-oppo.../#ConnachtNews

Comment

Connacht have signed Lewis Stevenson

Comment

Originally posted by blueberry View Post
                            Abut it's the loss of a playmaking-lock (did I really just say 'playmaking lock' ?) in Muldowney that could really hurt Connacht given their expansive game plan.
                            I believe plan is to mold SOB2.0 into Muldowney's replacement

Comment

Can't wait for a few years of debates about whether SOB2 is tall enough to play second row.

Comment

Working...
                              X