Vice president of French rugby federation steps down in disgust

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vice president of French rugby federation steps down in disgust

Says he deplores the take over by big moneyed interests in France & England, the damage it's done to not only French rugby but to rugby in Europe and how the smaller nations' clubs are slowly being strangled. He mentions how not having the Celtic clubs still competing in Europe in the spring is destroying European rugby and the winners are those with the biggest bank balances.

Sounds like a decent sort.

From Le Figaro newspaper

Le désormais ex-vice-président de la LNR déplore la récente réforme de la coupe d’Europe, qui n’a fait que renforcer la puissance financière des championnats anglais et français, au détriment des provinces galloises, irlandaises et écossaises. «Je ne supporte plus de ne pas profiter au printemps des chœurs du Munster ou du Leinster ou du Cardiff, parce que le système mis en place par les Anglais avec notre accord passif ne leur permet plus d’aligner des équipes compétitives. Plus d’argent chez les uns et autant d’argent chez les autres, on appelle aussi cela s’appauvrir», critique ce dirigeant rompu aux négociations européennes (notamment en 2000 à propos du retour des clubs… anglais).

Which one? There are five (?) vice presidents.

Président :
    Paul Goze
    VICE-PRÉSIDENTS :

• René Fontès, en charge du sportif et de l’international
    • Max Guazzini, en charge du marketing et de la communication
    • Jean-Marc Manducher
    • Alain Tingaud, en charge de la formation et de la reconversion
    • Patrick Wolff, en charge du modèle économique, du cadre institutionnel des stades

RESPONSABLE DES FINANCES :

Micheál Martin
    New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Originally posted by Her indoors View Post
      He mentions how not having the Celtic clubs still competing in Europe in the spring is destroying European rugby and the winners are those with the biggest bank balances.
      It has happened once, just once
      My computer thinks I'm gay
      What's the difference anyway
      When all the people do all day
      Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by sewa View Post
        It has happened once, just once
        Ulster won the damned thing one season without any English clubs competing. Did anyone from the FFR or IRFU resign?
        New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Dog View Post
          Ulster won the damned thing one season without any English clubs competing. Did anyone from the FFR or IRFU resign?
          Nope, this story is very fishy imo
          Is stare into a phone

Comment

Looks like it's Wolff.

Comment

Which one? There are five (?) vice presidents.
              Found it - it was Paddy Wolff who quit. He's a Clermont Auvergne rep.

http://sport24.lefigaro.fr/rugby/top...rancais-789469
              Last edited by Old Dog; 29th-January-2016, 13:55.

Comment

Will it be long before we hear the phrase financial irregularities?
                Is stare into a phone

Comment

Surely this thread should be moved to the rugby side of the forum?

Comment

Found it - it was Paddy Wolff who quit. He's a Clermont Auvergne rep.

http://sport24.lefigaro.fr/rugby/top...rancais-789469
                    Suspicious it coincides with Clermont not getting through too
                    "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

The letter is worth reading in full. It's scathing. Wolff is the joint founder of the LNR, a man who has served French rugby loyally, and I get the feeling a lot of people agree with him.
                      Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

Originally posted by sewa View Post
                        Nope, this story is very fishy imo
                        He's simply saying what is blatantly obvious to everybody. Wealthy clubs who ignore the salary caps (which are pretty generous already) are simply spending their rivals into extinction. The concentration of the world's best players into, and subsequent domination by, a handful of billionaire bankrolled teams is bad for the leagues, bad for the European cup and bad for the game.

Comment

Too late

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post
                            Suspicious it coincides with Clermont not getting through too
                            Clermont are the only big French club with any sort of moral standing in my view.
                            I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
                              Clermont are the only big French club with any sort of moral standing in my view.
                              Agreed and fans are a decent lot. I had massive acrimony with them in Montpelier over the booing of POC (following the Dave Kearney incident) but they listened, debated, and then we drank and sang. They hit smooth and lovely Mediterranean Montpelier like an invading army from the Massif.

Comment

Working...
                              X