Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

London Welsh and London Scottish to quit English rugby?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

London Welsh and London Scottish to quit English rugby?

http://www.therugbyblog.com/london-w...-english-rugby

Apologies if already posted. Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else but above.

Its a notion that's been thrown around for a long time. Especially when there has been talk of ringfencing the A.P, or when there's talk of a pro team folding in the Celtic nations. There was even suggestions of the Cornish Pirates being drafted in to the Celtic League (on message boards not from any administrators or columnists that I can recall).

There was more speculation about it while the HEC was been dismantled and the idea of a B&I super league was being muted to compete with the TOP14.

The biggest obstacle I see to it is the Nigel's (and their lapdogs in Twickenham HQ) not wanting competition for their 'clubs' from entities that are aimed at supplying outside competitors(the Celtic Unions).

Comment

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/rugb...-10231438.html

FYI. Lon Sco are full members of both the RFU and SRU. Have been for a century. Nothing stopping them playing in a Scottish league.

Comment

Originally posted by Pony View Post

FYI. Lon Sco are full members of both the RFU and SRU. Have been for a century. Nothing stopping them playing in a Scottish league.
        Realistically though could they, would they be thrown out of the RFU for playing in a foreign league in RFU territory. Genuinely interested what the fallout from a move like that would be. I can't imagine the RFU would say "That's fine, good luck"

Comment

while the RFU might be pissed it would take some effort to turf LON Sco out completely for playing in a SRU league.

Interestingly their ground is getting redeveloped into a nice 1700 seater + 1500 standing place ground, a mini Musgrave park. Easy enough to add a few thousand standing places I'd imagine. Plenty of London stadiums to take a big Xmas fixture too, like Brentfords brand new 21k seater stadium over the road.

Saracens and a few other London clubs could take a knock from such a venture. I'd personally love to see it. A London Celts side would be a great attraction IMO. If you could get the likes of Griffen, Hagen etc playing for them and liberally available it could be great for the national side.

Comment

We have talked about this a number of times in the past. Presumably Nigel would agree that to prevent it would be restraint of trade. See you in court mate.
            Seven social sins: politics without principles, wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice

Comment

Why on earth would the Pro 12 want them? Both are significantly weaker than even the Italian teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Dowlinz View Post
                Why on earth would the Pro 12 want them? Both are significantly weaker than even the Italian teams.
                The London market is the size of Ireland, Scotland and Wales combined. It has tens of thousands of potential spectators with all the Celts working there. Ready made clubs at a good level that can be supplemented over a summer. Sponsorship!

I'd only fancy one new London Celts? club. Aberdeen is another obvious target.

The Italians would have to go for this to work though.

Comment

How much of the gate money would find its way into Munster's pockets?

None, I'd say.

Comment

The London market is the size of Ireland, Scotland and Wales combined. It has tens of thousands of potential spectators with all the Celts working there. Ready made clubs at a good level that can be supplemented over a summer. Sponsorship!

I'd only fancy one new London Celts? club. Aberdeen is another obvious target.

The Italians would have to go for this to work though.
                    One Italian team + one London celts team, I'd say why not. Although I think this is fully dreamland territory.
                    Good things happen to those who wait, though mostly much too late.

Comment

while the RFU might be pissed it would take some effort to turf LON Sco out completely for playing in a SRU league.
                      Well it's not that they'd turf them out - they'd force them to stay. The Pro 12 couldn't just accept a London club - RFU would See You In Court Mate faster than you could say Nigel. World Rugby would refuse to sanction it.

Comment

I'm pretty sure you can only play in the league of the country you're geographically located unless you get special permission from that union to play in another one.

Comment

Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post
                          Well it's not that they'd turf them out - they'd force them to stay. The Pro 12 couldn't just accept a London club - RFU would See You In Court Mate faster than you could say Nigel. World Rugby would refuse to sanction it.
                          It would set a very dangerous precedent as well.

Comment

There is. WR Regulation 2.
                            Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

If there's a regulation from WR then it's a dead issue, press wasting peoples time rehashing.

Interestingly Saracens talking of playing Euro and league games in Japan and somewhere else next season.

Comment

Working...
                              X