Clear All

• Sulla
    replied
    Things not all well in Safferland

http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby/e...d090e628a7b1f8

Leave a comment:

• garryowen2323
    replied
    John McKee likely coach for them plus the national team.

Leave a comment:

• Munsterboy
    replied
    Brilliant! It's like an 80s rock band! :)

Japan could be quite a force by the time they host the RWC.

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy
    replied
    Japanese Super Rugby team is to be named this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_PP7nXs62c4IlD_S_Mb0130lbnKYbAZqOpH2j3uzXgBk_copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	2486232
    The name is a hybrid comprising the blazing icon of the 'Land of the Rising Sun' and a wolf which represents a pack hunting mentality and a dedicated team ethos of protecting one another.

The striking logo depicts the breaking of a new dawn for Japanese rugby and a fearsome representation of the team's desired playing style as they seek to utilise speed, unity and a fearless spirit to face their challenges.

Leave a comment:

• ustix
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Dog View Post
    So it appears - but I'm sure that they'll get there in the end. They have focused on getting the financial and coaching arrangements bedded down first. I see that they'll be playing 3 games in Singapore each year, I wonder will they flog one to Hong Kong too.
    There was a real lack of surety in what I read - concern that the Tri-Nations will be pared back to domestic pro leagues and that the Saffer goose is cooked.

Leave a comment:

• Old Dog
    replied
    Originally posted by ustix View Post

The Japanese outfit have missed their deadline to announce signings, according to An tUAsal SJones, methinks.
    So it appears - but I'm sure that they'll get there in the end. They have focused on getting the financial and coaching arrangements bedded down first. I see that they'll be playing 3 games in Singapore each year, I wonder will they flog one to Hong Kong too.

Leave a comment:

• ustix
    replied
    I've just read that next year's "Super 15" will be be a "Super 18" with an extra team from South Africa, Argentina and Japan (??!!) respectively included. :_confused__rvmp_by_

I don't know whether this means that every team will have an extra 3 games or whether another fixture structure is proposed, but on the face of it, my initial reaction is that all of the extra travelling involved will inevitably take a toll on the fitness of the players involved.
    The Japanese outfit have missed their deadline to announce signings, according to An tUAsal SJones, methinks.

Leave a comment:

• Old Dog
    replied
    I've just read that next year's "Super 15" will be be a "Super 18" with an extra team from South Africa, Argentina and Japan (??!!) respectively included. :_confused__rvmp_by_

I don't know whether this means that every team will have an extra 3 games or whether another fixture structure is proposed, but on the face of it, my initial reaction is that all of the extra travelling involved will inevitably take a toll on the fitness of the players involved.

Leave a comment:

• diarm
    replied
    I don't think the try was dodgy. I thought it was the right call at the time and this confirms it for me:

Click image for larger version

Name:	super15.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	2485766

Leave a comment:

• Thomond78
    replied
    Originally posted by hellovating View Post
    dodgy try proved crucial

missed tackles hurricanes 19%, highlanders 16%.... 52 missed tackles in the game.

33 offloads, hooray!.... 36 turnovers, boooo! you'd get savaged for playing like that in the NH.
    Bit parochial, tbh.

Number of NH RWC winners: 1/7.

Most successful team on the planet: drawn from players who play like that.

Now, God knows, I'm a believer in pragmatism myself, but I will also recognise that Super Rugby gives SH teams more strings to their bow. Pragmatism is about doing what works, about playing to your strength, not about doing something just because. It's easy for those who can pull off that sort of attacking rugby to play a tighter game if needs be, but those who play a narrow one have more problems adapting the other way.

Ireland play in a hemisphere where power is all and pragmatism largely king, so we must adapt to that environment. But we also have to recognise that NZ rugby has a wider range of options than we do, and it does have an effect. Bar the one occasion where the entire team had norovirus, I don't think they've lost to NH opposition this decade.

We can't do it, so don't. But it'd be nice to have the option, and it's certainly not to be sniffed at when others do.
    Last edited by Thomond78; 6th-July-2015, 06:37.

Leave a comment:

• plastic
    replied
    Another ton for Bairstow today - who needs stats when the White Rose is blooming!
    and Yorkshire !!!!!!!
    :_jawdrop__rvmp_by_b

Leave a comment:

• Old Dog
    replied
    Originally posted by plastic View Post
    that explains your fondness for cricket !
    dont or do catch baseball
    Another ton for Bairstow today - who needs stats when the White Rose is blooming!

Leave a comment:

• plastic
    replied
    Originally posted by CorcĂ­och View Post
    The Highlanders played the Waratahs last week, not the Hurricanes.

Hurricanes played ACT.
    you are correct - it was poor
    highlanders looked very organized v tahs
    momentum served them - tactically you couldn't fault them both weeks

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by plastic View Post
    You had to feel for Conrad Smith and hats off to him for sporting and genuine comments after.
    try looked iffy but Savea should have scored for Canes and they would have had the momentum
    the southerners defense was awesome (if a little bit on (over) the line)
    i thought the difference ultimately came up front where the Canes failed to show any ascendancy at home - they looked dozey in the semi v Tahs (the week off didn't help them)
    there was a funny stat saying no 1 or 2 seed has ever won ????

canes now the only NZ team not to win it
    The Highlanders played the Waratahs last week, not the Hurricanes.

Hurricanes played ACT.

Leave a comment:

• plastic
    replied
    You had to feel for Conrad Smith and hats off to him for sporting and genuine comments after.
    try looked iffy but Savea should have scored for Canes and they would have had the momentum
    the southerners defense was awesome (if a little bit on (over) the line)
    i thought the difference ultimately came up front where the Canes failed to show any ascendancy at home - they looked dozey in the semi v Tahs (the week off didn't help them)
    there was a funny stat saying no 1 or 2 seed has ever won ????

canes now the only NZ team not to win it

Leave a comment:

Working...
X