X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• plastic
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Dog View Post
    Speak for yourself. For me, rugby is entertainment and stats are for saddoes
    that explains your fondness for cricket !
    dont or do catch baseball

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by dropkick View Post
    There a big difference between the attitude of NZ rugby and Irish rugby. In NZ risk taking is encouraged in Ireland its discouraged. Its fear (of mistakes) based thinking and completely misses the point that that kind of rugby makes it very easy for the opposition.
    I must say thats an overly simple analysis.

Irish Rugby doesn't promote a fear based thinking - from Youths on players are being thought to play within the system of general movement which does nothing to promote fear .

It actively promotes a style of rugby that involves heads up thinking and reading the game, working together in different pods and shapes to execute movements that are drilled and worked over and over. . . .but the key being that they are dynamic and need players to use their heads, read the play and choose the correct variations in the plays. They are not set plays that must be followed A-B-C . .they are dynamic and give players options based on what is unfolding in front of them . . . how a defence is setting up, moving etc

At the level of the National Senior side it does look like there is an aversion to risk . .but it is working. We have back to back 6N titles. . .

But to say Irish Rugby is this or is that as a generalisation.

Playing high risk rugby is stupid if your players haven't got the skills/ training to execute. . .and there is a gulf between the footballing skills of our top teams as a whole (1-15) and star studded NZ teams. But it is something that is being worked on at a youth level. Players from all positions are brought into movements and are developing the skills to play ball in all areas of the game.

Look at the way our team is offloading the ball when we get in behind the opposition and they are scrambling. We have seen plenty of off the cuff rugby with risky offloading and good hands from the likes of Archer.
    Last edited by CorcĂ­och; 5th-July-2015, 08:19.

Leave a comment:

• ustix
    replied
    Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
    Kilkenny at the hurleyballs
    This island was on its knees for many's a year.
    There's always more than one way to skin a cat.

Leave a comment:

• diarm
    replied
    Cracking game. The pace and intensity of those first 25 minutes was insane!
    I thought the Highlanders defence was the difference between the two sides, especially in their own 22. That and Barretts dodgy place kicking in the first half. If he is their starting outhalf for the world cup then they do have a weakness.

It's amazing that two of the standout performers in the final (and the season); Elliot Dixon and Richard Buckman aren't even in a 41 man squad to be considered for the all blacks. That's scary.

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy
    replied
    Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
    We've been through this a million times. When you play rugby as your number one sport from the cradle- what we see as risk taking - they see as the only play in town.
    Kilkenny at the hurleyballs

Leave a comment:

• Clubman
    replied
    There a big difference between the attitude of NZ rugby and Irish rugby. In NZ risk taking is encouraged in Ireland its discouraged. Its fear (of mistakes) based thinking and completely misses the point that that kind of rugby makes it very easy for the opposition.
    I always say that if Penney had come to watch the mini game in TP at half time before taking the job, he'd never have tried to implement the Crusaders way - if indeed he'd have taken the job at all. Too much ground to be made up. Like watching juvenile hurlers in Donegal in terms of taking on KK later on.

Discouraged? Correct also. D Ryan got a bolloking from Kidney for doing what had everyone swooning when Parissee did it.

Super game this morning. Rugby the winner.

Leave a comment:

• redherring
    replied
    Great match. Sh!te officiating. Offside line was a joke. Players constantly infringing. How the touch judge couldn't award Nonu's try is sad. Grow a pair and make the call FFS.

Leave a comment:

• The Outlaw
    replied
    We've been through this a million times. When you play rugby as your number one sport from the cradle- what we see as risk taking - they see as the only play in town.

Leave a comment:

• dropkick
    replied

Leave a comment:

• hellovating
    replied
    I'm confused about Schmidt. I admire coaches who get their teams to play entertaining rugby. The Leinster version of Schmidt did so, but the IRFU version appears to have undergone a frontal lobotomy. I can only conclude that his new employers have instructed him to focus on statistics and to leave it to the opposition to provide the entertainment.
    i don't think he needs the the IRFU to tell him that chuck about rugby might win provincial trophies but rarely does it win international ones. certainly the all blacks don't play as the highlanders and hurricanes played today. they have a much more conservative game plan, though not in comparison with Joe's. the last three WCs were won in very low scoring affairs with teams playing no-lose rugby. i think he's aiming for similar.

i don't understand the frontal lobotomy reference. nothing about his reign suggests thoughtlessness.

as for entertainment versus winning.... i guess i'm much more likely to be entertained by a hard attritional arm wrestle than one where 50:50 offloads and missed tackles dominate. but then i am a young munster man....

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy
    replied
    I'm confused about Schmidt. I admire coaches who get their teams to play entertaining rugby. The Leinster version of Schmidt did so, but the IRFU version appears to have undergone a frontal lobotomy. I can only conclude that his new employers have instructed him to focus on statistics and to leave it to the opposition to provide the entertainment.
    I was thinking about this today, I reckon Joe has decided that the route to immortality for Ireland is to stop their opposition being able to play (as is Fatlands funnily enough). Schmidt is peerless on analysis and spotting weaknesses both in his own team and his opponents' however, it appears to me anyway that we are more focused on being hard to beat than being hard to hold. That might all go out the window for the RWC because there's a bedrock now of incredible accuracy and defence to be built upon.

Leave a comment:

• Old Dog
    replied
    Originally posted by hellovating View Post
    i'm asking. perhaps i assumed you were a fan, considering all the trophies he brought to leinster. perhaps i was mistaken. please correct me.

Leave a comment:

• dropkick
    replied
    It was a very entertaining game. Comparing that to how Munster play is depressing. And if people say its all about winning, I agree. Only difference is I think thats the way forward, as Glasgow - with ordinary players - have shown.

People will say it takes two teams to play like that but I don't agree. Once again I can point to Glasgow. Both teams were taking a lot of quick taps because thats one of the best times to attack, when the opposition defence isn't organised.

Leave a comment:

• hellovating
    replied
    As a matter of genuine interest, what is my opinion of Joe Schmidt?
    i'm asking. perhaps i assumed you were a fan, considering all the trophies he brought to leinster. perhaps i was mistaken. please correct me.

Leave a comment:

• Old Dog
    replied
    Originally posted by B.A. View Post

Probably most of them if the opposition is willing to come out and go toe to toe with them in similar manner.
    Quins and Bath maybe, also Saints if North and Foden were playing. Clermont or Toulouse on a really good day and possibly Toulon if the mood took them Glasgow also deserve an honourable mention and Scarlets would try their best.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X