No announcement yet.

Sam Burgess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Think he could do fine at centre but certainly don't see him doing anything more than what Brad Barritt is doing. He's not fast enough or dynamic enough for 13 IMHO, Tuilagi is nailed on 13 for England if fit.

No 8 could be his position if given time there (which may be the issue). He has great strength, good acceleration, tough as nails and decent hands. It's a very hard position to learn though...
    \"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness\".
    Dalai Lama

Comment

Burgess looks likely to be named as backline sub for Bath against Northampton this weekend

Comment

Andy Farrell is the only example I can think of. He played a couple of his first games in the backrow at 6 before moving into the backs although I'm pretty sure these were pre-season games. Think the idea was to get him used to the game changes and the breakdown in particular

Comment

Originally posted by John123 View Post
          Think he could do fine at centre but certainly don't see him doing anything more than what Brad Barritt is doing. He's not fast enough or dynamic enough for 13 IMHO, Tuilagi is nailed on 13 for England if fit.

No 8 could be his position if given time there (which may be the issue). He has great strength, good acceleration, tough as nails and decent hands. It's a very hard position to learn though...
          It seems that after something like 13 games at centre for Bath he has not got what it takes to be a centre . Last night against Newcastle he played his first game in the back row for his club and done ok by all accounts . But what happens if he has not got what it takes to be a forward what will Bath do with him will they try and move him on to another club ?

Comment

hell never make it as a 6, he has no idea how to ruck/maul.lineout lift, when to engage /disengage at the scrum etc

this was a shocking bit of recruitment , thorn aside (who played union as a id) no league forward has ever done well in union

god, they can;t even decide if he is a back or a forward,

they should have signed a union player and he should stick to league it's like employing the worlds best plumber and asking him to build a a wall for you

hell be back in league (proably in aus) by next season

Comment

Originally posted by JB1973 View Post
              thorn aside (who played union as a id) no league forward has ever done well in union
              Sonny Bill Williams has done ok. Ben Te'o has taken to union better than I expected him to. Joel Tomkins is doing fine at Saracens.

Comment

Originally posted by garryowen2323 View Post
                Sonny Bill Williams has done ok. Ben Te'o has taken to union better than I expected him to. Joel Tomkins is doing fine at Saracens.
                They are all playing in the backs in Union. Burgess is not fast enough to be a union back and will struggle with the skill set of a blind side IMHO. I certainly can't see him getting in the England back row although he is probably better than Haskell already.

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
                  They are all playing in the backs in Union. Burgess is not fast enough to be a union back and will struggle with the skill set of a blind side IMHO. I certainly can't see him getting in the England back row although he is probably better than Haskell already.
                  I thought Burgess was pretty good when he came on against Leinster. I think people need to give him a break I think he's plenty good enough to be a very good union player- he just may not attain the heights he did at rugby league.

And that's the crux of the matter he;s been judged on a ridiculously high standard that he set as a rugby league player. I think he;s far better then Teo.
                  I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

Ridiculous levels of Brugh-ha-ha about these lads in my view.
                    Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Tomkins is gone back to League since last year

Comment

all of whom were backs in lge as well, a forward in league doesn;t maul,ruck,push in scrums or have any sort of line out skills

the best players to cross codes are wingers, and then centres the skills sets are pretty similar.

a league forward is a giant gamble and 1 i would n;t take
                        Last edited by JB1973; 12th-April-2015, 22:21.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
                          I thought Burgess was pretty good when he came on against Leinster. I think people need to give him a break I think he's plenty good enough to be a very good union player- he just may not attain the heights he did at rugby league.

And that's the crux of the matter he;s been judged on a ridiculously high standard that he set as a rugby league player. I think he;s far better then Teo.

he also cost a hell of a lot more and is paid a lot more in wages, if you pay half a million for a player then you must be expecting the finished article and not a player who your not even sure is a back or a forward

burgess rightly or wrongly is going to be judged to a higher standard than the likes of teo

Comment

all of whom were backs in lge as well, a forward in league doesn;t maul,ruck,push in scrums or have any sort of line out skills

the best players to cross codes are wingers, and then centres the skills sets are pretty similar.

a league forward is a giant gamble and 1 i would n;t take
                            I know they have all played in the backs in league at some stage very briefly but have all been predominantly forwards.

I agree wingers and full backs too are the easiest positions to transition to union but to say no forward (bar Thorn) has ever been successful is a bit harsh!

I didn't realise Tomkins had gone back to Wigan. Was a decent centre during his time at Sarries.

Comment

he also cost a hell of a lot more and is paid a lot more in wages, if you pay half a million for a player then you must be expecting the finished article and not a player who your not even sure is a back or a forward

burgess rightly or wrongly is going to be judged to a higher standard than the likes of teo
                              The money is irrelevant. It won't give you rugby intelligence in a game which you've never played before.

If Bath and the RFU were stupid enough to give it to him- why would he turn it down?
                              I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

I think he will go back to league when he doesn't make the Orc RWC squad.

Comment

Working...
                                X