Sam Burgess

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sam Burgess

Bath are going to play Sam Burgess in the back row when he starts playing for them next month . England intend to play him in the backs if he is good enough to play for England next year . How is this going to pan out surely he cannot play for Bath in the back row and for England at centre

It's what the fans want.
    The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Craig is pissing on lamp posts as usual. Quite a lot of anti club comment in the English press which is good to see. Would love it if the Samoans caused an almighty upset at the weekend, the repercussions would be very funny to witness.

Comment

Another great white rugby league hope for England. Yawn.
        So I walked as day was dawning
        Where small birds sang and leaves were falling
        Where we once watched the row boats landing
        By the broad majestic shannon

Comment

Despite the fact he's a superb rugby league player I feel he'll struggle with the switch. He's seems to be a genuinely nice bloke so would like to see it go well for him. However I have NEVER seen a League convert switch and be successful in the back row. It tends to be wingers who find the transition the easiest as the change in terms of skills base is lowest.

But as the expected skills base for Union is increasing for players in all positions, not much has changed in League. Bash it up with the ball and bash the opposition is all that's expected of 90% of the players. If you can offload at all you're the King in League, something Burgess is excellent at.
          \"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness\".
          Dalai Lama

Comment

Originally posted by John123 View Post
            However I have NEVER seen a League convert switch and be successful in the back row
            Only a few I can think of who come close to it.

Rocky Elsom - Aussie schoolboys (union) to Bulldogs (league) to Waratahs (union)
            Scott Quinnell - Llanelli (union) to Wigan (league) to Richmond (union)
            Brad Thorn - Broncos (league) to Crusaders (union)

First 2 obviously had the union background to begin with which I don't think Burgess has at all so Thorn probably the closest being a forward and having grown up playing league.

Comment

Originally posted by garryowen2323 View Post
              Only a few I can think of who come close to it.

Rocky Elsom - Aussie schoolboys (union) to Bulldogs (league) to Waratahs (union)
              Scott Quinnell - Llanelli (union) to Wigan (league) to Richmond (union)
              Brad Thorn - Broncos (league) to Crusaders (union)

First 2 obviously had the union background to begin with which I don't think Burgess has at all so Thorn probably the closest being a forward and having grown up playing league.
              Quinnell was a Wales international before he moved to league, so you can take him out of that list.

Comment

I'm surprised they're looking beyond 13 for him, to be honest. He's a big lad, makes hits. Is he quick enough? I don't watch enough dirt shagging to know anything about him really.
                "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Burgess is assuming messianic abilities in some quarters of the English press and rugby supporting public. He will be some athlete if he gets up to speed in a completely new game in less than a year, especially as the pressures of the breakdown could play havoc with him injury wise. Muscle memory takes a long time to develop.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Gibson View Post
                    Quinnell was a Wales international before he moved to league, so you can take him out of that list.
                    I am well aware of that. Simply naming the players who moved to union from league at some stage and played in the forwards. Hence why I mentioned their union backgrounds!

Comment

Add to it John Bentley GB Leeds and Halifax RL, Newcastle England and B&I lions 1998 tour where he nearly cut the Saffies prop in half, and his memorable try against Transvaal beating 5 player before cutting in field to touch down under the posts. On YouTube.
                      psychoanalysis is wasted on the Irish; Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by treatycity1 View Post
                        Add to it John Bentley GB Leeds and Halifax RL, Newcastle England and B&I lions 1998 tour where he nearly cut the Saffies prop in half, and his memorable try against Transvaal beating 5 player before cutting in field to touch down under the posts. On YouTube.
                        Also went from union to league and back to union. Played in the backs too rather than forwards.

Gas man on that Lions doco from 97!!

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
                          Burgess is assuming messianic abilities in some quarters of the English press and rugby supporting public. He will be some athlete if he gets up to speed in a completely new game in less than a year, especially as the pressures of the breakdown could play havoc with him injury wise. Muscle memory takes a long time to develop.
                          He won't be in the backrow for england. He's a brilliant league player. I think he has a fair chance of making it in Union at centre.
                          I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

Is he Georgie's son?
                            Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
                              He won't be in the backrow for england. He's a brilliant league player. I think he has a fair chance of making it in Union at centre.
                              How is he going to learn to play in the centre if he is playing for Craig in the back row?

Comment

Working...
                              X