Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

London Wasps moving to Coventry

Link

Wasps’ £19.5m takeover of the Ricoh Arena in Coventry is set to be approved on Tuesday after Labour councillors agreed to back the sale.
    According to the Coventry Telegraph, a full Coventry City Council meeting, scheduled for 2pm on Tuesday, will result in the Premiership side being given the green light to complete a 100% takeover of ACL, the operating firm of the Ricoh Arena.
    Wasps have been based at Adams Park in Wycombe – 80 miles away from Coventry – for the last 12 years but have long since been looking for a new home, a search that was accelerated when the Irish businessman Derek Richardson completed his takeover of the club in April 2013, providing the two-times European champions with much-needed financial stability.
    Councillors were locked in late-night talks on Monday, and were reportedly given a presentation by Richardson, and the controlling Labour party are said to be in favour of the takeover.
    Wasps are expected to be handed a 250-year lease as part of the deal and while it was initially thought that the council would mantain a 10% stake in the stadium – jointly owned by the council and The Alan Edward Higgs Charity – the six-times English champions are set to take over the arena in its entirety.
    Prior to Richardson’s takeover 18 months ago, Wasps were in a dismal financial position. They narrowly escaped relegation from the Premiership in 2012 at a time when administration was a constant threat but, according to reports, Wasps will take on the complete £14.4m loan from the council issued to ACL in January 2013.
    Coventry City returned to the Ricoh Arena last month, after more than a season in exile, but in a temporary deal for two years, with an option for two more, and Wasps’ relocation will raise further questions as to their long-term home.

Roger Roger. What's our vector, Victor?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    RIP Anthony Foley - The greatest of great Munster men.

When they decided to drop London from their name, then this move was sticking out.

I guess it just goes to show that there are very few clubs in the AP, more franchises.

Comment

Originally posted by Bitter As A Lemon View Post
      When they decided to drop London from their name, then this move was sticking out.

I guess it just goes to show that there are very few clubs in the AP, more franchises.
      Flannellys is to be their new watering hole :-)

Comment

Ricoh Arena: the soul of a soulless condition.
        Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

Comment

Originally posted by Keyop View Post
          Flannellys is to be their new watering hole :-)
          Jesus Christ. I'd forgotten about that absolute **** hole.
          What was the name of the good pub again? The Gate was it? Good craic in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Average View Post
            Jesus Christ. I'd forgotten about that absolute **** hole.
            What was the name of the good pub again? The Gate was it? Good craic in there.
            At least Bitter and I didn,t select the venue that time.

Comment

Remember the Working Men's Club?

It's an absolute disgrace, and I feel so sorry for the supporters of a club founded in 1867 that has now, in effect, been taken from them.
              Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

Gatehouse Tavern, that was the name of the place I was thinking of. Cracking spot. I'd go back there in a heartbeat.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomond78 View Post

It's an absolute disgrace, and I feel so sorry for the supporters of a club founded in 1867 that has now, in effect, been taken from them.
                  Rowley's green club in the middle of a roundabout!
                  Tic-Toc. POC and DOC. Stop the clock.

Comment

Sure isn't The Munster Reds being removed out of Cork altogether, closer to home.
                    Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Average View Post
                      Gatehouse Tavern, that was the name of the place I was thinking of. Cracking spot. I'd go back there in a heartbeat.
                      That was a super spot alright....Billy Keane standing on a table, signing about Mafi and Tipoki...proper beer and ale's on tap.

Comment

There's only one Dougie Howlett
                        one Dougie Howlett
                        Drinking in bars,
                        Dancing on cars
                        Walking in a munster wonderland

first time i heard that was in there.

Comment

Flanellys was an interesting experience, had a big drunk guy buy a drink for myself and the brother, the conversation then moved swiftly along to the fella telling us he was an IRA spy. The Gatehouse was a fine bar, but my favourite and one I've returned to numerous times on my NEBOSH exam trips to Coventry is the Tudor Rose, great staff and pint, and they still display the Munster flag.
                          "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too ?" - Douglas Adams

Comment

A rugby club stolen from its fans and installed in the ground of a club that was, in turn, stolen from Coventry City fans. The whole thing is a pretty shoddy affair really.

It may bring some benefits, in that Coventry is a traditionally strong rugby city that it would be good to see represented at the top level again. You'd hope that Coventry RFC could form a mutually beneficial feeder relationship, as the alternative might see the further deterioration of a club that is nearly as old as Wasps and has fielded the likes of Cockerill, Duckham and Cotton.
                            "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
                              A rugby club stolen from its fans and installed in the ground of a club that was, in turn, stolen from Coventry City fans. The whole thing is a pretty shoddy affair really.

It may bring some benefits, in that Coventry is a traditionally strong rugby city that it would be good to see represented at the top level again. You'd hope that Coventry RFC could form a mutually beneficial feeder relationship, as the alternative might see the further deterioration of a club that is nearly as old as Wasps and has fielded the likes of Cockerill, Duckham and Cotton.
                              Stolen from its fans or simply sold to the highest bidder by its members in a short sighted attempt to win some silverware?

Comment

Working...
                              X