Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IRFU must now think beyond Pro12

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #46
    For sure RB, I just mean that this thread won't be allowed to turn into the "Future of the HEC" thread Mk II, with all the sniping and trolling that led to that thread's demise.
    Tis but a scratch.

    Comment


      #47
      Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post
      So, I'm going to ignore Doodle Wasps spoofing and try to bring this back on topic.

      I have been entirely against having anything to do with the PRL up until this point because they are a bunch of untrustworthy spivs.

      However, since RRW and the SRU were too self-interested / short-sighted to hold the line recently, I don't much trust them either.

      Let's face it, the PRL strategy did succeed in dividing and, to an extent, conquering (the unions did manage to retain majority control of the European Cup at least). If the Rabo could decline and still survive, we could use it as a development league, qualify for Europe every year and be grand.

      However, the Welsh and Scots have probably signed their own death warrants and the league won't survive for long as things stand. Hence my call for them to get their **** together and figure out a way to recover. If they can't, the league will eventually collapse. It's imperative that the IRFU don't wait until that happens (when they'll be in a very weak position) to look for alternatives. Our provinces are still strong enough and attractive enough participants to be welcomed into most competitions.

      I'd give our Celtic friends about 12-18 months to show us that we have a future together. If things aren't looking up at that stage, we start talking to others about what comes after.
      Isn't what he's essentially saying likely to happen anyway? I have to say I don't find his posts all that bull****ting.

      I don't like them but he's not far from wrong on the basic tenet which is the Welsh have little interest in the Rabo.

      Lenihan is probably right for the top 3 Irish provinces playing in the GP would be infinitely better for the game here and for them as well.

      As regards whether the English would be happy for them to come in of course they would. Guaranteed big travelling crowds along with the general Ireland v England rivalry. Everyone's a winner.

      What it would end is wrapping our internationals up in cotton wool.
      I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

      Comment


        #48
        When did it all get so complicated?

        I'm sick of hearing about the French and English, who proved what we all knew, that throwing money and weight around works. That bullying and threats gets you places.
        I'm so tired of hearing how poor the Rabo is and how, unless we do something, (e.g. sell our souls to the PRL apparently) we're going to die out here with the Welsh and Scottish because we don't have the money to compete.

        Despite the fact that three out of the four Irish teams are better than the majority of teams out there are the moment. Apparently we're fcked.
        We've too few teams and too little money, that apparently the pedigree and success of our clubs counts for sweet fck all. Hop on the bandwagon or be left behind.

        How's about we just play Ulster/Munster/Leinster/Connacht games and let them all go **** themselves for a while.
        I've had enough. It was never this complicated.
        The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

        Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

        The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

        Comment


          #49
          whether we like it or not money is going to dictate the future of the game,even the mighty Kiwis have to compromise with South African commercial interests regarding the super 15,their scale of population /economy is too small just like ourselves...the real battle going forward will be between the club game and the international game as more money is pumped into the club game e.g French/english leagues...we need to be nimble or we could fall between two stools

          Comment


            #50
            We're talking about the demise of the Rabo but look at the table and the facts compared to the Premiership. The top 4 are home and host in the Rabo. The top 3 in Premiership are home with Bath/Quins fighting for the last spot. That could easily have been Ospreys/Ulster. The lower end teams in England have won less than than the lower end teams in the Rabo. The Scarlets could also have been easily in the mix as well. They are a very inconsistent team. Yes I will take the point that Munster, Leinster and Ulster would not have fielded as strong a team in as many games as Saracens or Northampton. We need to be selling how good a league it is. And not just to England/France but also to ourselves.
            He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

            Comment


              #51
              Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
              Isn't what he's essentially saying likely to happen anyway? I have to say I don't find his posts all that bull****ting.

              I don't like them but he's not far from wrong on the basic tenet which is the Welsh have little interest in the Rabo.

              Lenihan is probably right for the top 3 Irish provinces playing in the GP would be infinitely better for the game here and for them as well.

              As regards whether the English would be happy for them to come in of course they would. Guaranteed big travelling crowds along with the general Ireland v England rivalry. Everyone's a winner.

              What it would end is wrapping our internationals up in cotton wool.
              If that were to happen, where would Connacht end up Outlaw? (Genuine question)
              "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

              Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

              Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

              Comment


                #52
                Originally posted by redherring View Post
                We're talking about the demise of the Rabo but look at the table and the facts compared to the Premiership. The top 4 are home and host in the Rabo. The top 3 in Premiership are home with Bath/Quins fighting for the last spot. That could easily have been Ospreys/Ulster. The lower end teams in England have won less than than the lower end teams in the Rabo. The Scarlets could also have been easily in the mix as well. They are a very inconsistent team. Yes I will take the point that Munster, Leinster and Ulster would not have fielded as strong a team in as many games as Saracens or Northampton. We need to be selling how good a league it is. And not just to England/France but also to ourselves.
                The league was getting really good for a couple of seasons but with the Welsh losing their best players left, right and centre, it is in danger of going into serious decline unless RRW and the WRU do something to reverse the trend. The Scots are getting slightly better but the Italians need a lot of work too.

                Whatever the stats say and whatever we think of the AP, unless we can improve the standard, it simply won't last. European rugby is our cake but the league's our bread and butter and we can't live on cake alone, much as we love the stuff.

                The IRFU and provinces have done pretty much all they can to deliver our end of the deal - strong squads, big names, lots of supporters, excellent stadia. Of late they've even thrown extra resources at our fourth province to give it a bit of a lift.

                They need to see the other unions and teams doing the same or start looking for better partners, and soon.

                Comment


                  #53
                  I see the Scots have landed another massive cash injection from BT.

                  http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/r...rayfield_name/



                  This along with sponsoring Cardiff Arms park and also BT being lined up for shirt sponsors for Welsh teams.

                  http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/r...med-bt-6902087



                  Not only did they sell out to BT but we're also facing the prospect of the Pro12 being on sky with 50% of the teams having BT on their jerseys. When the next round of TV negotiations come up it could be very damaging.

                  Comment


                    #54
                    Now we see why the Scots rowed in behind the PRL and shafted the other "Celtic" Unions.

                    Another step in BT's campaign to "own" the sport.

                    Comment


                      #55
                      Will the BT Sport Thomond Park be next?

                      Comment


                        #56
                        If they have the cash why not? I'd be all for it
                        My computer thinks I'm gay
                        What's the difference anyway
                        When all the people do all day
                        Is stare into a phone

                        Comment


                          #57
                          To wipe out our debt in one fail swoop...bring it!

                          It does look thought that the prophecy of BT trying to own the sport, is coming true, and it is now quite obvious why the Scots bailed on us in the last year.

                          Even more reason to bate the haggis loving ****es tonight !

                          Comment


                            #58
                            Originally posted by glorob View Post
                            Will the BT Sport Thomond Park be next?
                            or maybe Sky Sports Park

                            Comment


                              #59
                              Originally posted by dropkick View Post
                              Not only did they sell out to BT but we're also facing the prospect of the Pro12 being on sky with 50% of the teams having BT on their jerseys. When the next round of TV negotiations come up it could be very damaging.
                              If BT want to throw money at rugby then let Sky try and compete. I'm not going to worry about either of them. Maybe we are undervaluing what we have in rugby.

                              Comment


                                #60
                                Originally posted by glorob View Post
                                Will the BT Sport Thomond Park be next?
                                No dont even think it.I wouldnt be able to go if it happened, I really dont like BT. I'd use pidgeons rather than BT phones.
                                Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. (Marcus Aurelius, 121-189 AD)

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X