No announcement yet.

IRFU must now think beyond Pro12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really think folk, including Lenihan need to hold their nerve and wait and see where things are post the RWC. There is a truce in England but the Nigel's will throw their toys when there is a mass exodus of England players to France post 2015 as there was post 2011. The Gloucester side Munster played in January contained two Gloucester lads, English players have little to no club loyalty and will be off to fill their boots with no RWC to keep them in England. PRL and Ireland will not be able to compete with T14 but PRL will not accept that and that is all the rope they need to hang themselves. Ireland must keep doing what it has been doing until the RWC, after that all bets are off IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by deltared View Post
      The Scots have never featured at the business end to date.
      Glasgow are the best team in the league this year
      My computer thinks I'm gay
      What's the difference anyway
      When all the people do all day
      Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by sewa View Post
        Glasgow are the best team in the league this year
        ...todate!! Theres always a first time, this might be it.
        Mumha Abu

Comment

...todate!! Theres always a first time, this might be it.
          I know that, just on balance they have been most consistent
          Is stare into a phone

Comment

I know that, just on balance they have been most consistent
            They've been the most pragmatic. I'm hoping our cup game will vanquish them. Picking and driving should negate their living offside in midfield.
            I am the million man.

Comment

On the wider issue, the Super15 is expanding; union-controlled franchises, in an entirely union-owned competition. They have all the Tier One countries south of the Line, and may be expanding north of it. We should be talking to them for our preseasons; the S15 final is the 2nd of August, so one or two squads would certainly be lurking around in some format, especially SA ones who'd be rolling into the Currie Cup.
              Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomond78 View Post
                On the wider issue, the Super15 is expanding; union-controlled franchises, in an entirely union-owned competition. They have all the Tier One countries south of the Line, and may be expanding north of it. We should be talking to them for our preseasons; the S15 final is the 2nd of August, so one or two squads would certainly be lurking around in some format, especially SA ones who'd be rolling into the Currie Cup.
                How incredibly boring, I mean seriously man
                Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                  They've been the most pragmatic. I'm hoping our cup game will vanquish them. Picking and driving should negate their living offside in midfield.
                  I think all the teams will fancy a cut off them but fair play to them, they have been excellent, back row in particular
                  Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by Thomond78 View Post
                    Now that would be worth looking into. Might well tick a lot of the important boxes. Certainly the preseason would be a good way to start exploring that.
                    I find your lack of faith disturbing....

Comment

I think all the teams will fancy a cut off them but fair play to them, they have been excellent, back row in particular
                      Quintessential Scottish rugby. Boring and dull and a dead eye goal kicker.
                      I am the million man.

Comment

How incredibly boring, I mean seriously man
                        It's "Mr. Unitas" to you, hippy.
                        Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

Lenihan is wrong about one thing. Pro 12 attendances aren't declining - they're up 10% in the four years since the Italians joined. In fact, the only teams that are down are Ospreys, Cardiff and Munster (Munster coming from a much higher base).

Comment

If you take the Glas v Ed result 37-35, where the ball was tossed about and the Mun gutting of Ed, an away semi-final v Glas will surely have us as favs, they caught us on the hop post HC QF, do not think Mun will allow same in such a short space of time.

Comment

I was watching when Donal L said that. Conor O'Shea was only slightly less surprised than me. When I got over my initial shock and thought about it I could a lot of sense in what he was saying. It certainly appears that the "Celtic Front" has been smashed to pieces for any future negotiations on the future of NH rugby. We were aware of the Welsh shenanigans beforehand, what with the civil war between Union & Regions, but the Scots seem to have done untold damage by their devious dealings, such so that they won't be trusted again. If that is indeed the case then the writing is literally on the wall for the Rabo/Celtic League or call it what you like. The Scots have never featured at the business end to date , the Welsh are losing the entire corps of their frontliners, the level of competition is in freefall. I think he's right on both looking after ourselves first and foremost and on looking for a more competitive environment for the future. I also agree with Glorob, the 6N is now facing relegation to a secondary competition at the hands of the PRL & it's ilk, all due to the supine attitude and action of the IRB. It won't stop with the 6N, the IRB will become irrelevant sooner rather than later.

As you sow, so shall you reap.
                              The SRU listened to its non-executive directors and took the best financial deal avaliable and that offered the greatest economic stability. Welsh rugby is a dysfunctional mess. There was no "Celtic Front". There never has been. Welsh rugby has much more history, affinity and cultural commonality with English rugby than with either Ireland or Scotland. Even a quarter of the current Welsh side was born in England. Wales is effectively part of England too without its own independent legal system unlike Scotland or Northern Ireland. Once you get past all the bluster Wales has much more in common with England, in rugby and general terms, than it does with Ireland or Scotland.

You are confusing what is in the interests of the IRFU with the general interests of European rugby. Despite what you may like to think they are not one and the same thing. What suits the Irish doesn't necessarily suit the English. Or the Scots or the Welsh. The interests of the French Federation are certainly not in line with those of the Irish Union.

Also your fears for the Six Nations are pretty baseless too. The IRB windows are in place and continue to be enforced. That isn't going to change. If the national Union want to centrally contract their players and pay them the going rate that is their business. They all have the financial resources to do so it they so choose.

Finally the IRB isn't an independent actor within international rugby. It is merely the collective front for the national Unions and it behaves as such. Once the English RFU had decided to back Premier Rugby the IRB was powerless to intervene against its richest and most powerful Union. Remember the IRB is dependent on the English RFU digging them out of the financial mess the IRB got itself into when the National Unions stupidly decided to stage the 2011 World Cup in New Zealand despite it being fundamentally uneconomic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doodle Bug View Post
                                The SRU listened to its non-executive directors and took the best financial deal avaliable and that offered the greatest economic stability.
                                You've been pulled up on this before, Wasp. Paul Rees belatedly learned that the SRU had non-executive directors, put 2 and 2 together and got 50. The SRU decided to back the RCC because they thought they'd end up in crisis if European rugby stopped, not because some suit told them it was in their long-term interest.

There was no "Celtic Front". There never has been.
                                This is just nonsense. There wasn't a "Celtic front" based on some shared Celticness, but the Celtic unions were very much united in their belief that a union-backed game was the best for rugby as a whole and for them individually. The PRL and its supporters have pointed to it time and time again.

Welsh rugby has much more history, affinity and cultural commonality with English rugby than with either Ireland or Scotland. Even a quarter of the current Welsh side was born in England. Wales is effectively part of England too without its own independent legal system unlike Scotland or Northern Ireland. Once you get past all the bluster Wales has much more in common with England, in rugby and general terms, than it does with Ireland or Scotland.
                                I'm sure the Welsh will delighted to hear that they're basically English.

You are confusing what is in the interests of the IRFU with the general interests of European rugby. Despite what you may like to think they are not one and the same thing. What suits the Irish doesn't necessarily suit the English. Or the Scots or the Welsh. The interests of the French Federation are certainly not in line with those of the Irish Union.
                                Nobody said they were. The unions all have their own individual interests. The IRFU have been clear in their support for a union-backed game because it has the interests of the worldwide community at heart and because it helps the minority against the majority.

Comment

Working...
                                X