X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ROBINSON CALLING IT A DAY

ROBINSON CALLING IT A DAY
    By Andrew Baldock, PA Sport Rugby Union Correspondent
    England World Cup winner Jason Robinson will retire from club rugby at the end
    of this season.
    The 32-year-old Sale Sharks skipper is set to make his final Guinness
    Premiership appearance against Bath at Edgeley Park on April 13.
    However, Robinson, who has won 43 caps and scored 26 Test tries, will be
    available for England throughout this summer and for the World Cup in September
    and October.
    If selected for England's World Cup defence in France, he intends retiring
    from the sport completely after that tournament is over.
    mfl
    -0- Apr/02/2007 11:22 GMT
    Seas suas agus troid!

Latest comment from Robinson is back to the line that Sale weren't quick enough to offer him anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Omer
      Latest comment from Robinson is back to the line that Sale weren't quick enough to offer him anything.

If he was a little more injury prone we could have offered him a 5 year contract.

Comment

Originally posted by Point

Originally posted by Evil Omer

If he was a little more injury prone we could have offered him a 5 year contract.

bad Point, but true, so [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]
        they call it \'passion\', we call it pride

Comment

[img]smileys/shock.gif[/img]He is on fire this season though-thought he would have played one more season

Comment

Contract delay made Robinson quit

Sale and England winger Jason Robinson says he decided to retire at the end of the season after the club stalled over offering him a new contract.
            The 32-year-old will quit club rugby at the season's end and retire altogether after the World Cup, if selected.

"Last October the coaches said they really wanted to sign me and somebody would give me a call," he said.

"It was about three months after that when somebody said they wanted to talk to me. By then I'd made my mind up."

Robinson insisted he was not leaving the club on bad terms.

"There is no doubt that the club probably wanted to keep me but, if you've got something that you want, then you probably need to act a bit quicker to keep it," he said.

"Maybe they weren't fast enough but I've no gripes with the club.

"I've had some great years here and I am certainly not leaving on a bitter note."

Robinson, who has three children, said he felt it was time to spend more time with his family.

"I still enjoy my rugby, it's not that I've fallen out with the game or lost my passion, otherwise I wouldn't have made myself available for England.

"But for many years now, my family have been on the back-burner. They've followed me from pillar to post and had me at my worst.

"There are no regrets. I did everything I could have done in rugby league and I feel the same about rugby union.

"I don't want to keep going on and play for the sake of playing.

"I've had 15 years of it in the top flight and I think it's time to get out and just enjoy life."

He also ruled out any chance of entering the world of coaching.

"I couldn't think of anything worse," he said.

"There is actually a life away from rugby. My family are the main things. I cannot see for one minute me looking back and wishing I'd played another year."

Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

I was hoping this referred to Nicky Robinson of Cardiff Blues , as I'm sure were their supporters

Fair play to Robinson though, he's been a fine servant to rugby union

Comment

He's been on fire for England, Sale have been pretty ordinary this season (injuries etc) and he's not been great.

Comment

Working...
                X