London Irish

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fergus Slattery sounding like an old duffer on Rte radio earlier

Diageo will still sponsor the Premiership, with Sarries and Billy V the starring lights, wonder how that fits with their corporate values and sponsorship of the Union Cup?
    Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Originally posted by Sulla View Post

Diageo will still sponsor the Premiership, with Sarries and Billy V the starring lights, wonder how that fits with their corporate values and sponsorship of the Union Cup?

A cynic would argue that their decision to remove their LI sponsorship has resulted in greater publicity than LI would ever have given them and saved a few quid.

Comment

Didn't they stop sponsoring the English Premiership a few years ago?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Gibson View Post

Aye, stopped in 2010 when Aviva took over.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Gibson View Post

Sorry, you're right.. Gallagher.. Guinness.. duh.

Still they weren't a title sponsor with LI. As Larrie says more publicly about this than if they did nothing and continued, even has Irish Gov ministers and NGOs commenting on something that's nothing to do with the ROI in anyway shape or form.
            Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Their main sponsor, Powerday, is also their chairman - Mick Crossnan. So they won't be going anywhere, and I doubt a London based skip hire company will be too fussed about the business impact of an Irish based social media storm. That will likely take the steam out of the whole thing to be honest.
              "There are probably more annoying things than being hectored about African development by a wealthy Irish rock star in a cowboy hat, but I can't think of one at the moment"

Paul Theroux

Comment

Sorry, you're right.. Gallagher.. Guinness.. duh.

Still they weren't a title sponsor with LI. As Larrie says more publicly about this than if they did nothing and continued, even has Irish Gov ministers and NGOs commenting on something that's nothing to do with the ROI in anyway shape or form.
                Im not to sure about that, there were a lot of questiones asked during that trail and there needs to be lessons learned and changes need to be implemented across the entire process from the reporting right through to the trials of sexual assault offences.

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post

Im not to sure about that, there were a lot of questiones asked during that trail and there needs to be lessons learned and changes need to be implemented across the entire process from the reporting right through to the trials of sexual assault offences.
                  And all of those changes apply to the process in NI. If that trial had happened in ROI the coverage and approach would have been significantly different because the rules are very different.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

And all of those changes apply to the process in NI. If that trial had happened in ROI the coverage and approach would have been significantly different because the rules are very different.
                    They might be significantly different, but that doesn’t mean there are no issues with it in the south, the trial up north put the process in the spotlight and this came up....

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.i...nt-883870.html

Comment

They might be significantly different, but that doesn’t mean there are no issues with it in the south, the trial up north put the process in the spotlight and this came up....

That has zero to do with the Jackson/Olding case, where the defence did not try to claim her underwear suggested she consented.

Comment

That has zero to do with the Jackson/Olding case, where the defence did not try to claim her underwear suggested she consented.
                        I never said it had to do specifically with that trial, but you seem to have missed the part where the entire country was talking about rape, victim shaming, the treatment of women, the low levels of rape prosecution, the lower levels of willingness to report, consent and what constitutes consent and all the other aspects that the trial in the north brought up.

Comment

I never said it had to do specifically with that trial, but you seem to have missed the part where the entire country was talking about rape, victim shaming, the treatment of women, the low levels of rape prosecution, the lower levels of willingness to report, consent and what constitutes consent and all the other aspects that the trial in the north brought up.
                          I said the rules are very different, because they are. The fact the “whole country” was talking about it doesn’t change that. An awful lot of what was said was ill-informed.

Comment

I said the rules are very different, because they are. The fact the “whole country” was talking about it doesn’t change that. An awful lot of what was said was ill-informed.
                            I’m well aware the rules are different, and posted that I don’t think for a second that trial would have gone ahead in the south because of those differences.

What you cant seem to grasp is the link between the trail in the North bringing up discussions in the South and further afield to do with many aspects of rape, and while a lot of that might have been “ill-informed” they were discussions that needed to happen and it became clear that the process in the South is far from perfect.

Comment

It should be noted that the Barrister who brought up the alleged victim's underwear is female.

Comment

Here lads, any chance a thread about London Irish could have less mentions of a womans underwear?

People have their positions on Jackson which aren't going to change at this stage. Very little to be gained from rehashing intimate details of the trail again on a rugby forum.
                                "There are probably more annoying things than being hectored about African development by a wealthy Irish rock star in a cowboy hat, but I can't think of one at the moment"

Paul Theroux

Comment

Working...
                                X