London Irish

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jeepers View Post

I think it was a combination of things - Gilroy wasn't out on a 3-day drinking binge like the other lads.

The court of public opinion is very powerful and the IRFU would be watching their brand very carefully. I read last week where that Rugby is the most attractive sponsorship option in Ireland at the moment (presumably ahead of the GAA because of its international dimension). Whatever way you look at it, PJ & Olding brought an unwelcome spotlight onto the IRFU.

Jackie can rant on about the unfairness of the whole thing, but I seem to recall that the woman involved with two Munster players (all consensual and no court cases involved) left the country voluntarily/transferred by the company she was working for. Can anyone explain why she / her employers felt that it was best if she left?
    All I was saying was that the treatment of Gilroy discredits the idea that they were punished for the WhatsApp messages. They were punished for being found not guilty of rape. In Ireland the punishment for being accused of rape is loosing your job regardless of weather of not you raped anyone. If they were found guilty nobody would be happier than myself to see the jailed but equally I think people should be as willing to accept the innocent verdict.
    “One, Fineen needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. Two, whenever Fineen’s not on field, all the other players should be asking 'Where's Fineen?

Comment

Ya, you can't say he was fired because of the whatapps group. Put alongside Gilroy, he hardly said a peep.

He was fired because a large tract of people felt he actually was guilty and were lobbying the IRFU and sponsors about his employment. It's exactly why London Irish are being pushed on him now.
      "There are probably more annoying things than being hectored about African development by a wealthy Irish rock star in a cowboy hat, but I can't think of one at the moment"

Paul Theroux

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Konys barmy army View Post

All I was saying was that the treatment of Gilroy discredits the idea that they were punished for the WhatsApp messages. They were punished for being found not guilty of rape. In Ireland the punishment for being accused of rape is loosing your job regardless of weather of not you raped anyone. If they were found guilty nobody would be happier than myself to see the jailed but equally I think people should be as willing to accept the innocent verdict.

In this instance it’s important to note that this didn’t happen in Ireland, from a legal point of view Ireland and NI are very different places.

Rightly or or wrongly I don’t think that trial would ever have gone ahead in the south, and if it had it would never have gone ahead in that way. The prosecution in the North was never questioned publicly about its decision to try all the defendants for the same crime when clearly there were differences in their involvement that night.

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post

In this instance it’s important to note that this didn’t happen in Ireland, from a legal point of view Ireland and NI are very different places.

Rightly or or wrongly I don’t think that trial would ever have gone ahead in the south, and if it had it would never have gone ahead in that way. The prosecution in the North was never questioned publicly about its decision to try all the defendants for the same crime when clearly there were differences in their involvement that night.
          That is an important point but if the same had happened in the republic I’m sure there would of been the same outcome. I just find the idea that they were punished for the WhatsApp messages very disingenuous.

I dont know what went on with lads that night and from reading the papers it didn’t sound great but I only saw what the editors of the papers wanted me to see. The people who saw all the evidence (the Jury) literally sat there for days getting all the info, they know more than me so I’ll go with what they decided pending additional info coming out which seems unlikely at this stage. If they decided they were not guilty we shouldn’t be punishing the lads, if we want to punish them for salacious WhatsApp chat then we need to treat Gilroy the same way. Then we probably need to gather up all the lads phones and go through them for similar messages.
          Last edited by Joe Konys barmy army; 13th-June-2019, 08:05.
          “One, Fineen needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. Two, whenever Fineen’s not on field, all the other players should be asking 'Where's Fineen?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Konys barmy army View Post

That is an important point but if the same had happened in the republic I’m sure there would of been the same outcome. I just find the idea that they were punished for the WhatsApp messages very disingenuous.

I dont know what went on with lads that night and from reading the papers it didn’t sound great but I only saw what the editors of the papers wanted me to see. The people who saw all the evidence (the Jury) literally sat there for days getting all the info, they know more than me so I’ll go with what they decided pending additional info coming out which seems unlikely at this stage. If they decided they were not guilty we shouldn’t be punishing the lads, if we want to punish them for salacious WhatsApp chat then we need to treat Gilroy the same way. Then we probably need to gather up all the lads phones and go through them for similar messages.

There isn’t anything left to say really about the incident but I know enough about what happened that night from the testimonies given that their treatment of that girl was disgusting and warranted repercussions.

Sure they are are entitled to get on with their lives, and they lost more than a “normal” person would have, but they are not normal people, and are very happy to be treated as not normal people when it suits.

I can understand perfectly why Guinness don’t want to be associated with jackson, because the pint logo on a player who can’t behave properly with drink is a bad image, and LI probably didn’t expect the backlash after all this time, but that trial asked a lot of other questions about wider societies treatment of women, consent and rape and it will be referred to for a long time

Comment

There isn't much of a backlash though thankfully. Just a few loons left.
              Commemorate Nevin Spence here -
              http://www.mycharity.ie/event/munste..._nevin_spence/

Comment

I think it was a combination of things - Gilroy wasn't out on a 3-day drinking binge like the other lads.

The court of public opinion is very powerful and the IRFU would be watching their brand very carefully. I read last week where that Rugby is the most attractive sponsorship option in Ireland at the moment (presumably ahead of the GAA because of its international dimension). Whatever way you look at it, PJ & Olding brought an unwelcome spotlight onto the IRFU.

Jackie can rant on about the unfairness of the whole thing, but I seem to recall that the woman involved with two Munster players (all consensual and no court cases involved) left the country voluntarily/transferred by the company she was working for. Can anyone explain why she / her employers felt that it was best if she left?
                That girl left the country because she was being shamed by the same sort of online mob that is hounding Jackson now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie Brown View Post
                  There isn't much of a backlash though thankfully. Just a few loons left.
                  Not sure whether the Irish Government spending €1 million on a campaign about sexual harassment/violence would be classified as just a few loons!

Minister Flanagan replied that he was not going to comment on any individual cases and added: ‘It is really important that people are role models in the area of sport, culture, music, the politics – all aspects of society.’

He added: ‘But I do want to acknowledge, in the sporting arena in particular, people who are willing to talk now about unacceptable behaviour that often times we dismissed under a label of “laddism”, much of that behaviour is unacceptable.

‘But what we are doing today is initiating a national conversation, awareness, speaking about and ultimately ensuring that we change our attitudes and change our behaviour.’ The minister had been asked by Extra.ie about the importance of male role models in society and if he thought it was appropriate that Mr Jackson had been signed by London Irish.

https://extra.ie/2019/05/10/news/iri...-paddy-jackson

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

That girl left the country because she was being shamed by the same sort of online mob that is hounding Jackson now.
                    From what I recall, the girl was boasting on social media about her night out. She wasn't a victim. Perhaps it was her employer who felt shamed?

Comment

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rug...-38217260.html

Diageo drop London Irish sponsorship.
                      Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                      Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

RTÉ news- Diageo have pills out of sponsoring LI- explicitly mentioning ‘recent decisions’ over which they had concerns. Paddy is costing.

Comment

Originally posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post

Not a surprise.
                          Still there's a light I hold before me
                          You're the measure of my dreams
                          The measure of my dreams.

Comment

Originally posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post

Excellent. I might have a Guinness tonight.

Comment

I've decided to drop my sponsorship of diageo

Comment

From what I recall, the girl was boasting on social media about her night out. She wasn't a victim. Perhaps it was her employer who felt shamed?
                                As I recall reading at the time, she posted “best night of my life” on Facebook (or somewhere similar) before it was known what she was referring to. Then it came out and she got dog’s abuse for it. She wasn’t a victim of sexual assault, just classic “slut shaming” by the online mob. She got fed up with it and left.

Comment

Working...
                                X