Connacht 2013/2014

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connacht 2013/2014

Pat Lam has named his starting XV for his first game in charge, against Castres tonight.

http://www.connachtrugby.ie/20130809...ms-for-castres
    Castres Olympique v Connacht
    1st Half
    15 Gavin Duffy (captain)

14 Steve Macauley
    13 Eoin Griffin

12 Conor Finn

11 Matt Healy

10 Dan Parks

9 Paul O’Donohoe

1 Peter Reilly

2 Jason Harris-Wright

3 Nathan White

4 Ally Muldowney

5 Danny Qualter

6 Mata Fifita

7 Willie Faloon

8 George Naoupu

2nd Half

15 Shane Layden

14 Tiernan O’Halloran

13 Danie Poolman

12 Brian Murphy

11 Fionn Carr

10 Miah Nikora

9 Marcus Walsh

1 Brett Wilkinson

2 Sean Henry

3 Rodney Ah You

4 Mick Kearney

5 Conor Kindregran

6 Andrew Browne

7 Jake Heenan

8 John Muldoon (captain)

Replacements (second half): Ronan Loughney, JP Cooney, James Rael, Craig Ronaldson

Really excited to see Layden make a breakthrough this season, he was really unfortunate with injury to get overtaken by Henshaw last season after looking sensational for the u20s.

Connacht are well set for outside backs at the moment; you could put out an indigenous 11-15 of O'Halloran, Murphy, Griffin, Layden, and Henshaw and it would be a decent standard backline in the Rabo. They badly need to produce a 10 at some point, though...

Comment

The Westies new jerseys

http://www.connachtrugby.ie/20130809...ed-for-201314#

Comment

42-31 loss out in Castres for Connacht. ..bits I seen on twitter indicated enjoyable pre season tussle.
        "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

Comment

Given the heavy losses for Leicester and Gloucester in France tonight, this is an encouraging result

Comment

Any word on how scrums went at any of the games today?
            I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by RuPi View Post
              Given the heavy losses for Leicester and Gloucester in France tonight, this is an encouraging result
              Wouldn't get carried away yet. I broke out in a deep sweat when I saw the pack for the second half.
              I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

Both sides scored five tries seemingly, and Connacht would have had a sixth but for a double movement. Sounds like a good outing, one of Lam's big jobs is to get the attack firing consistently rather than sporadically.

Comment

Encouraging result, that's Castres's 3rd and final friendly before the start of the Top 14

Conor Finn impressed according to the match report in the Indo. Supposed to have impressed Pat Lam so far. Hopefully himself and Layden can break through, 2 more local academy players. 2/3 coming through the production line every year is ideal

Comment

Best of luck for the season Porterbelly, pleased to see you posting again on MF.

Comment

I think Lam can help Connacht move forward. Elwood did a fantastic job and put in solid foundations and now with Lams experience in Super rugby I would hope to see Connacht play a better brand of attacking rugby.

They've also cleared most of the deadwood out of their squad while will make the squad stronger and should soften the blow of injuries.

Originally posted by thoughtless View Post
                      Really excited to see Layden make a breakthrough this season, he was really unfortunate with injury to get overtaken by Henshaw last season after looking sensational for the u20s.

Connacht are well set for outside backs at the moment; you could put out an indigenous 11-15 of O'Halloran, Murphy, Griffin, Layden, and Henshaw and it would be a decent standard backline in the Rabo. They badly need to produce a 10 at some point, though...

Layden looked very good for Ireland U20 last year. He ran some great lines from fullback scoring tries and making line break and looked the best Irish U20 fullback for a long while. It wouldn't surprise me to see him as Connachts long term 15 and I'm looking forward to seeing how he goes.

Comment

Some sexy rugby here, Outlaw..,...

He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Originally posted by dropkick View Post
                          I think Lam can help Connacht move forward. Elwood did a fantastic job and put in solid foundations and now with Lams experience in Super rugby I would hope to see Connacht play a better brand of attacking rugby.

They've also cleared most of the deadwood out of their squad while will make the squad stronger and should soften the blow of injuries.

Layden looked very good for Ireland U20 last year. He ran some great lines from fullback scoring tries and making line break and looked the best Irish U20 fullback for a long while. It wouldn't surprise me to see him as Connachts long term 15 and I'm looking forward to seeing how he goes.
                          They could take the loser of theOlding v Paddy Jackson battle for Ulster's no. 10 jersey.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post
                            They could take the loser of theOlding v Paddy Jackson battle for Ulster's no. 10 jersey.
                            I expect Olding will play more in the centre this year and we will see a lot of pressure put on Cabe for his place. Connacht have a lot of exciting young players and good to see them playing some exciting rugby, Fionn Carr does really well for one of the tries from a counter attack.

Comment

Some lovely passing from Griffin in those highlights. Would love to see him have an injury-free season.

Comment

Working...
                              X