Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest started a topic Dayglo’s HEC whinge

Dayglo’s HEC whinge

Normally have a lot of time for the man but I thought his whinge about how unfair it is on the English that bsaically it's not guaranteed all their top players play in HEC was a joke.

His argument, Jonny Wilkinson has only played once in it. Well if he didn't play for a bag of s**te club that wasn't good enough to qualify he would have played more. That's about the club not HEC being unfair. It's yet another bit of the English (like the French) not liking the fact that us celtic peasants have improved from the competition so wanting to take places off us for their own benefit.

• aarons
    replied

Originally posted by biglebowski
    Correct me if i'm wrong, but English teams get 5 places in the HEC out of their 12 premiership teams. If they win the Anglo-Welsh they can get 6. So that is half of top flight teams in England get places.

Ireland get 3 from 4.

Seems unfair to me.

when they abandon the club game they can have more slots

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

The problem is what OD is saying isn't what Dayglo and all the others in England and France are saying. I have no issue with the fact our places should be earned against ML positions. Would do a lot for the ML and for the HEC. But the English and French don't actually care how we qualify they just want less of us to be allowed to qualify and more of them.

But at the same time they complain about the competition isn't optimised to make money. Which again is true except their attitude, i.e. less Irish, Welsh and Scottish (well ignore the Scottish bit) involvement and more of their teams isn't going to produce. Reducing the number of Irish and Welsh teams, will mean reduced Irish and Welsh interest and to be quite honest the fan interest in those 2 countries already outweighs the playing interest.

Leave a comment:

• munsterforever
    replied

Originally posted by biglebowski
    Correct me if i'm wrong, but English teams get 5 places in the HEC out of their 12 premiership teams. If they win the Anglo-Welsh they can get 6. So that is half of top flight teams in England get places.

Ireland get 3 from 4.

Seems unfair to me.

i agree we should have all 4 in

Leave a comment:

• Old Dog
    replied
    Originally posted by Monster Fan
    Originally posted by Old Dog

Originally posted by epaddy
    I hope the old dick starts against us.

Please don't sneer at great players. Like him or hate him, Dallaglio is a true legend of rugby.

Just like your hero Christian Cullen [img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]

Absloutely - the man was an All Blacks and Hurricanes legend - but is a Munster flop.

Leave a comment:

• biglebowski
    replied

Ireland get 3 from 4.

Seems unfair to me.

Leave a comment:

• Monster Fan
    replied

Please don't sneer at great players. Like him or hate him, Dallaglio is a true legend of rugby.

Just like your hero Christian Cullen [img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by Evil Omer

No I don't and you know it. His point was clearly made that England should have more places because England can't find enough English players with HEC experience. Well if they didn't keep fielding so many foreigners for a start - correct me if I'm wrong but Leicester currently have quite a few themselves, including Irishmen- then they might have more English players with HEC experience.

He also made it quite clear that he's envious of how much the rest of us have benefited from regular HEC games. It's another in a mounting line of pieces bemoaning how we get HEC places and they don't.

Also Munster have been fielding weakened sides this season for a lot of reasons - injuries and missing internationals being more the case than not trying. Now that claim was an awful post. Actually for a long time there was no guarantee we'd get a slot.

Sorry, I beg to differ, not even I believe that Munster could ever finish beneath both Connacht and the Borders, so they have a HEC shoo-in every year (as have Leinster, Ulster and the solvent Welsh Clubs). The English clubs have to work hard toqualify - there is a massive difference.

I think thats a problem too but there is a very easy solution. There should be no more seperate welsh, irish and scottich HEC spots but a pool of spots from the magners league as a whole.

That would go a long way to making the system more equitable and would spice the ML up quite a bit too

Leave a comment:

• munsterforever
    replied
    and in ireland

Leave a comment:

• Old Dog
    replied

He's a winner - and we could do with some of thosein Leinster.

Leave a comment:

• epaddy
    replied

Like him or hate him, Dallaglio is a true legend of rugby.

I wouldnt disagree with any of that, but he is the enemy.

Leave a comment:

• Old Dog
    replied

Leave a comment:

• epaddy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• The Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by Evil Omer

His argument, Jonny Wilkinson has only played once in it. Well if he didn't play for a bag of s**te club that wasn't good enough to qualify he would have played more.

Even if they had've qualified he'd have been injured anyway[img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]

Leave a comment:

• rathbaner
    replied

Qualification should be more competitive. Obviously TV advertising and broader appeal are good reasons to include teams from all over Europe but I'd like to see Munster take the league more seriously.

Maybe the top three from each from England, France and Celtic could qualify automatically and the rest of the places be up for grabs across the board, something like that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X