Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Future of the Heineken Cup In Doubt?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cowboy
    replied
    Lock this sick bastard and never let it released again.

It's like a beacon to neckbeards and mouth breathers.

Leave a comment:

• the plastic paddy
    replied
    Lock away BB.

Leave a comment:

• limerickdeco
    replied
    Originally posted by Doodle Bug View Post
    Just because you disagree with me there is no need to degenerate to petty verbal abuse. As I said Munster have worse domestic attendances than many French and English clubs. Munster choose to play at games in Cork. No one forces them too. Loads of other teams regularly play league games at more than one ground. Toulouse, Stade Francais, Racing, Toulon, Saracens, Bordeaux Begles, Harlequins. They just happen to play at bigger stadiums and get bigger crowds. Munster choose to play at a smaller stadium and get smaller crowds.

Munster could always build a bigger stadium in Cork and encourage bigger crowds to attend. As things stand they struggle to fill the limited a capacity of 9,200. Not a very good effort from supposedly "the most passionate fans" in Europe.
    So stop talking out your pie hole with our 2 parks and attendance WE ARE MUNSTER

Leave a comment:

• Balla Boy
    replied
    Given that we have a new competition announced etc, any objections if we lay this particular behemoth to rest? It's attracting all sorts of riff raff

I'll lock it if no one feels strongly otherwise?

Leave a comment:

• Balla Boy
    replied
    G'luck so.

Leave a comment:

• Doodle Bug
    replied
    Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
    But, as has been explained to you, those averages aren't comparable with the averages of other clubs because they don't reflect the maximum audience that Munster could attract.

You're tirelessly gnawing on a rather idiotic fallacy. It's been explained that Munster's average gates would be signficantly higher if they held all games in Limerick. It's been explained that they choose not to do so for historic and representational reasons. It's been explained that, therefore, average gates across all Pro12 games don't offer an effective or accurate measure of the extent of Munster's "domestic" support.

I've read the other thread. You'll notice that the small crowds people are worried about are the ones that, when averaged on our Thomond fixtures, still produce an average higher than all but one club in the Premiership.

You're either a troll, or you're spectacularly hard of thinking. Either way, you're on a short fuse as far as your stay here is concerned. If you've any interest in remaining as a poster on the forum, stop being such an interminable arse.
    Just because you disagree with me there is no need to degenerate to petty verbal abuse. As I said Munster have worse domestic attendances than many French and English clubs. Munster choose to play at games in Cork. No one forces them too. Loads of other teams regularly play league games at more than one ground. Toulouse, Stade Francais, Racing, Toulon, Saracens, Bordeaux Begles, Harlequins. They just happen to play at bigger stadiums and get bigger crowds. Munster choose to play at a smaller stadium and get smaller crowds.

Munster could always build a bigger stadium in Cork and encourage bigger crowds to attend. As things stand they struggle to fill the limited a capacity of 9,200. Not a very good effort from supposedly "the most passionate fans" in Europe.

Leave a comment:

• Balla Boy
    replied
    Originally posted by Doodle Bug View Post
    Well Munster's average Pro12 crowds are poor. Both relative to their European crowds and the domestic crowds of other big teams in Europe.

I suggest you read the "Where have all the fans gone" thread on another part of this forum. There are lots of Munster supporters criticising the Pro12 crowds on there. The general consensus seems to be that the Province and by extension the supporters care far more for the European Cup than the Pro12. Munster's awful recent performance against Glasgow at Thomond is mentioned an a ideal case in point.

http://www.munsterfans.com/threads/3...-the-fans-gone

Maybe competitive qualification for the European competitions next season will make the Pro12 more attractive.
    But, as has been explained to you, those averages aren't comparable with the averages of other clubs because they don't reflect the maximum audience that Munster could attract.

You're tirelessly gnawing on a rather idiotic fallacy. It's been explained that Munster's average gates would be signficantly higher if they held all games in Limerick. It's been explained that they choose not to do so for historic and representational reasons. It's been explained that, therefore, average gates across all Pro12 games don't offer an effective or accurate measure of the extent of Munster's "domestic" support.

I've read the other thread. You'll notice that the small crowds people are worried about are the ones that, when averaged on our Thomond fixtures, still produce an average higher than all but one club in the Premiership.

You're either a troll, or you're spectacularly hard of thinking. Either way, you're on a short fuse as far as your stay here is concerned. If you've any interest in remaining as a poster on the forum, stop being such an interminable arse.

Leave a comment:

• Doodle Bug
    replied
    Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
    I'm at a loss as to your actual point. Are crowds in Cork small? Yes. Can you proceed from that fact to argue that Munster fans don't care about the league, or are event junkies, or only turn up for the HEC? Well, no. As you've been shown. Repeatedly.

You've gone from arguing that our league support is poor to focussing in on the attendances in one base and just stating over and over again that they're not very big. Which no one here has disputed.

So what is your point?
    Well Munster's average Pro12 crowds are poor. Both relative to their European crowds and the domestic crowds of other big teams in Europe.

I suggest you read the "Where have all the fans gone" thread on another part of this forum. There are lots of Munster supporters criticising the Pro12 crowds on there. The general consensus seems to be that the Province and by extension the supporters care far more for the European Cup than the Pro12. Munster's awful recent performance against Glasgow at Thomond is mentioned an a ideal case in point.

http://www.munsterfans.com/threads/3...-the-fans-gone

Maybe competitive qualification for the European competitions next season will make the Pro12 more attractive.

Leave a comment:

• the plastic paddy
    replied
    The Bug is the wasp and is just stirring the sh't, the tw'ts have got what they want only weirdo social inadequates feel they need to come on to Irish rugby fora and stir people up, stick him on ignore.

Leave a comment:

• Doodle Bug
    replied
    Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post
    He still hasn't explained what Cork has to do with anything. Put it this way - Munster are the only side in Britain and Ireland who play games regularly away from their home city and even those games get higher attendances than most have in their home stadium. This lad clearly feels that Cork people not being as mad into their Munster Rugby somehow undermines the entire province. I'd like to see Leicester play four games a season in Wolverhampton and we'll see how many fans they get in the door.
    Well that is just silly. Munster are a provincial team that represent the whole province not just Limerick. They don't have a "home city". Cork is the biggest city in Munster. Doesn't it seem strange that Munster supporter get in a frenzy for weekend breaks to the South of France or London but they don't deign to make the effort to watch League matches in Cork?

It doesn't seem to be a very loyal form of support?

Also so why would Leicester go and play in Wolverhampton? Leicester represent the City of Leicester and by extension the county of Leicestershire. Wolverhampton is the other side of Birmingham.

Leave a comment:

• Thomond78
    replied
    Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post
    Dave Kearney runs like he wears wooden shoes.
    Sorry. Had to be done.

Leave a comment:

• whimpersnap
    replied
    He still hasn't explained what Cork has to do with anything. Put it this way - Munster are the only side in Britain and Ireland who play games regularly away from their home city and even those games get higher attendances than most have in their home stadium. This lad clearly feels that Cork people not being as mad into their Munster Rugby somehow undermines the entire province. I'd like to see Leicester play four games a season in Wolverhampton and we'll see how many fans they get in the door.

Leave a comment:

• Balla Boy
    replied
    I'm at a loss as to your actual point. Are crowds in Cork small? Yes. Can you proceed from that fact to argue that Munster fans don't care about the league, or are event junkies, or only turn up for the HEC? Well, no. As you've been shown. Repeatedly.

You've gone from arguing that our league support is poor to focussing in on the attendances in one base and just stating over and over again that they're not very big. Which no one here has disputed.

So what is your point?

Leave a comment:

• Doodle Bug
    replied
    Originally posted by 5eight View Post
    People very rarely play two or more sports to a professional level. Anyone playing senior GAA is not going to be playing pro rugby no matter how good they are. Bath, Gloucester, Exeter and Northampton don't have much local competition for bums on seats.

London has a population of some 10m, it should easily support football and rugby. Cork is largely a GAA city with rugby coming about fourth in the pecking order. Last week the AP supporters whinged that Twickers was too big and couldn't be filled, noW the whinge is that CAP is too small and the ticket allocation per club is not sufficient. Why not buy tickets in Sept when they went on sale?
    Were talking about crowds. The Rugby and the GAA seasons don't really clash with each other. Even in the "rugby heartlands" of England soccer is still more popular and the soccer season runs concurrently with the rugby season and attracts huge support and overwhelming media coverage.

Greater London has a population of 8.2 million and much of that population has little or no interest in rugby at all. Outside the South West of the city and a couple of the other outer boroughs rugby little or no presence.

Saracens aren't very well supported. They still get better crowds in Barnet, 8,500 average, than Munster do in Cork but they aren't very popular at all. People in England don't even like Saracens so continually bashing them isn't really a wounding an argument. A bit like people in England slagging off Ulster rugby and taking them as representative of Irish rugby as a whole when they are quite clearly not.

In terms of the crowd at the Saracens v Clermont semi final I am not really sure what all the fuss is about. 25,000 is about in line with what the English and French clubs usually attract to knock out European matches. Maybe slightly less but hardly a disaster. It should have been held at a smaller venue but I imagine Twickenham was the cheapest and most convenient venue available.

Leave a comment:

• whimpersnap
    replied
    Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
    wooden shoes
    Dave Kearney wears wooden shoes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X