Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Future of the Heineken Cup In Doubt?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is the interest in Cork that is the issue. Munster can only average 7,100 in the biggest city in the Province. That is a poor record. If Musgrave Park was always sold out you might have a point but it doesn't get anywhere close. It seems Munster supporters are willing to travel to Dublin, London, Cardiff and Marseille but not to Cork. Strange.

Like it or not Munster average attendances for the Pro12 aren't very good. The figures are there for everyone to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Doodle Bug View Post
      Well I am not Turk Boy and I am not Welsh just a disinterested observer.
      But you are coming in from a Welsh message board. Smallclone over on Gwlad quoted Leo in their stalking thread, and called it a rant - a word you conspicuously used.

The repeated references to Leicester and the attempts to troll Cork supporters have me thinking the range of possible candidates for your identity is quite narrow. Quite narrow indeed.
      Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

With average crowds of only 7,100 why are they doing that? The demand doesn't seem to be there. How big are they expanding it to?

Comment

I am not trolling the Cork supporters I just want to know why Munster's crowds in Cork are so bad?

Comment

With average crowds of only 7,100 why are they doing that? The demand doesn't seem to be there. How big are they expanding it to?
            Dear me, you seemed quite able to look for yourself when it suited. I'm sure you can go off and do it for yourself now.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomond78 View Post
              Dear me, you seemed quite able to look for yourself when it suited. I'm sure you can go off and do it for yourself now.
              9,300. They don't seem to be anticipating an interest in demand. Cork seems to be getting a raw deal from Munster Rugby. No wonder so few turn up to watch.

Comment

9,300. They don't seem to be anticipating an interest in demand. Cork seems to be getting a raw deal from Munster Rugby. No wonder so few turn up to watch.
                How many cities do your club play home games in?

Comment

Where will the final of the new competition be held next season? Will the ERC promise of an Italian final be kept by the new competition?

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
                    Again - our average attendance is distorted by the fact that our Cork base has a small capacity.

TP figures this year: 20,646, 14,216, 18,870, 13,821, 13,946, 13,946.

An average attendance of 15,907. On the link that you provide, that puts our average Thomond Park attendance ahead of all average gates for Premiership clubs bar Leicester.
                    And Leinster are coming in at an average attendance of 16,282 at Pro12 games at RDS only and 19,824 average attendance for pro12 games only when counting the game at the aviva, making Leinsters league attendance the second best in Europe, only Leicester get bigger crowds.

The Irish teams have massive support and Ulster are growing their crowds with the new stadium etc. and I'd expect their crowds to comfortably average around the 15,000 mark on a consistent basis in the next year or two, which means that the only teams with better average attendance for league games only in Europe than Irish sides would be Leicester and Clermont, with Stade Francais and Toulouse roughly the same as Ulster and Munster...

So wtf is the issue?

If it's solely Cork that's the problem, well I'm not qualified to comment on that other than to say that there's a very political divide in Munster rugby and perhaps the Cork crowds feel a bit isolated when all the big games are in Limerick. Also you have to remember Cork is a massive GAA county in both hurling and football, more so than Limerick who for the most part have bought into rugby ahead of GAA (it would appear to me anyway), so that sporting competition is a factor. Same with Ulster vs GAA in Belfast where perhaps the people who identify with Ireland wouldn't be as keen on rugby due to tribalism and seeing it as mostly played and supported by unionist part of Belfast, Dublin also has a superbly orchestrated character assassination on rugby by the media where seemingly, only in Dublin, is the sport played in private schools and there are no clubs outside D4, which has hindered Leinster progress with crowds massively, as is the massive competition with GAA and soccer in the city, rugby is still definitely the third sport of Dublin and outside of Dublin still hasn't cracked nearly its potential chunk of market share (again, with the superb media led demolition job done on Leinster rugby that has taken a decade to only begin to start to shed and will take another decade or two before it is fully shed).

Comment

Just ignore it. It'll bugger off back home fast enough if it's not getting reactions.

Comment

Bug, Wasp, Mod edit it's a different species tpp!.

Comment

Fair enough, apologies to any biologists I may have offended.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                            And Leinster are coming in at an average attendance of 16,282 at Pro12 games at RDS only and 19,824 average attendance for pro12 games only when counting the game at the aviva, making Leinsters league attendance the second best in Europe, only Leicester get bigger crowds.

The Irish teams have massive support and Ulster are growing their crowds with the new stadium etc. and I'd expect their crowds to comfortably average around the 15,000 mark on a consistent basis in the next year or two, which means that the only teams with better average attendance for league games only in Europe than Irish sides would be Leicester and Clermont, with Stade Francais and Toulouse roughly the same as Ulster and Munster...

So wtf is the issue?

If it's solely Cork that's the problem, well I'm not qualified to comment on that other than to say that there's a very political divide in Munster rugby and perhaps the Cork crowds feel a bit isolated when all the big games are in Limerick. Also you have to remember Cork is a massive GAA county in both hurling and football, more so than Limerick who for the most part have bought into rugby ahead of GAA (it would appear to me anyway), so that sporting competition is a factor. Same with Ulster vs GAA in Belfast where perhaps the people who identify with Ireland wouldn't be as keen on rugby due to tribalism and seeing it as mostly played and supported by unionist part of Belfast, Dublin also has a superbly orchestrated character assassination on rugby by the media where seemingly, only in Dublin, is the sport played in private schools and there are no clubs outside D4, which has hindered Leinster progress with crowds massively, as is the massive competition with GAA and soccer in the city, rugby is still definitely the third sport of Dublin and outside of Dublin still hasn't cracked nearly its potential chunk of market share (again, with the superb media led demolition job done on Leinster rugby that has taken a decade to only begin to start to shed and will take another decade or two before it is fully shed).
                            Well just seems strange that Munster supporters travel in large numbers to European Cup matches and the media laud them as the "best fans in Europe" but they struggle to get decent crowds for homes games in the biggest city in the Province. Average crowds of 7,100 really aren't very good when many on this message board spend a lot of time slagging off the English clubs for being poorly supported. That is put into sharper context because Leinster and Ulster are growing their Pro12 crowds so you can't just blame the Pro12 for being an unattractive competition.

Also the difference between European and domestic attendances is particularly stark. Even for top of the table matches against decent teams like Glasgow. The race for the Pro12 playoffs doesn't seem to have caught the imagination.

Comment

isit.
                              Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

Comment

Rugby competes with over 500 GAA clubs in Munster not to mention soccer and a host of other sports. The entire population is approx 1.25m. In a largely rural area with poor infrastructure making travel between areas unattractive especially on a winters day. The East Midlands has a population of approx 4.5m and should have an excess of attendance at rugby matches in proportion to its size.
                                Taking your theory that Cork, as the biggest urban area in Munster, fails to attract maximum crowds how do you explain the lack of a crowd at last weeks semi in Twickenham considering the sheer size of greater London. The London clubs grounds should be fit to burst at every game.
                                A lion online, a lamb at home.

Comment

Working...
                                X