Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Future of the Heineken Cup In Doubt?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whatever about personal it is certainly cultural. In Ireland we allow freedom of expression to panalists and expect robust analysis and critique. RTE presentation of 6N and soccer is far more robust that their British equivalents. WE don't expect wooden characters reenacting each minutiae of the game.
    A lion online, a lamb at home.

Comment

Originally posted by 5eight View Post
      Whatever about personal it is certainly cultural. In Ireland we allow freedom of expression to panalists and expect robust analysis and critique. RTE presentation of 6N and soccer is far more robust that their British equivalents. WE don't expect wooden characters reenacting each minutiae of the game.
      Well, pardon me for US being so "dumbed down" and all, I guess you will just have to get used to OUR inferior presentation. Or not watch it.

Comment

or go and put the kettle on, go for a **** etc. during halftime.

Comment

Originally posted by dailywaffle View Post
          Well, pardon me for US being so "dumbed down" and all, I guess you will just have to get used to OUR inferior presentation. Or not watch it.
          No need to apologise, we're well used to British media standards.

Comment

Originally posted by ephileth View Post
            I'd suggest you do at least the tiny little effort of looking at Munster line-ups in recent Pro 12 away games. Will show you how uninformed all your talking is. Add to that that the current LEADER of the top14 has win rates of 58% overall, 83% at home and 33% away. But sure you're playing your away games.
            I don't have to make the effort of looking Munster games, because what I say was said by you the Irish on this forum. You confirmed you send your B team away and at home. The welsh complained of it too, and they even said in the newspaper your league was sh.t.
            So I don't see what's so difficult for your teams to win away against the scotts, the italians and the welsh. If we play in your league we will have a win rates bigger than of 33%. It's no really difficult to unterstand that.
            Originally posted by ephileth View Post
            This BS coming from the only league in Europe having 14 teams involved, being also the one bitching about too many games per year, this after having added play-offs. Good idea then that the new European competition will have the exact same amount of games.What a scandal indeed that your 7th team should have to play an extra game. Thank God they're guaranteed to be at home.
            Yes we have 14 teams, but France is a big country, so we need more teams than England to develop the rugby here. Yes we lack of dates that's why we wanted to reduce the European Cup, but infortunately because of you, we failed to do it. We didn't want 20 teams but 16 (5 french, 5 English and 5 celtics+ 1 from amlin winner). We will allways develop our league (and the TV rights seems to prove we're right), and if in a future if we need to drop the European Cup to have more dates, we will probably do. Because our fans prefer the Top 14 to the H-Cup, and more importantly, because our clubs earn more money with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jos View Post
              .Yes we have 14 teams, but France is a big country, so we need more teams than England to develop the rugby here.
              You're not doing a great job of developing it, then. No team north of Paris and only the Parisian teams north of Clermont Ferrand ( OK Oyonnax)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Top 14 Map.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	2479282
              Last edited by Piquet; 18-April-2014, 11:34. Reason: added in Map

Comment

We didn't want 20 teams but 16 (5 french, 5 English and 5 celtics+ 1 from amlin winner). We will allways develop our league (and the TV rights seems to prove we're right), and if in a future if we need to drop the European Cup to have more dates, we will probably do. Because our fans prefer the Top 14 to the H-Cup, and more importantly, because our clubs earn more money with it.
                This is so bloody stupid do you not realise that reducing any... any number of teams in the competition has no effect on the number of weekends the competition takes up. Even if we went through with your mooted 16 team 4 pools of 4 suggestion we'd still end up with the same ! weekends. I mean the only teams that would benefit from less game weekends would be those teams that didn't qualify for any european competition leaving them free to concentrate on the top 14. I mean if you want to give the bottom four of the top 14 an advantage then by all means do it but don't say you want more space for top 14 games because the only way thats going to happen is if you leave europe altogether.
                Fides et Robur

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                  And SuperXV coverage
                  And June internationals and four nations or whatever they call it.

Comment

Jos, all teams rotate. The Welsh are amongst the very worst offenders, as the records of Warburton and Davies for Cardiff show. They also rarely actually bother checking what our first team is; half of them seem to think DOC or Cullen are still first choice.
                    Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

T78, I'm afraid it's only the Irish that rotate / rest players. The other Pro12 sides go hell for leather all season. The Top14 sides compete like their lives depended on it in all games. And the AP sides flog their player year in year out because it'd the most competitive league in the world and ERC, IRB are bias towards Irish teams (Nigel and Craig said so, ergo it is true).

Comment

I don't have to make the effort of looking Munster games, because what I say was said by you the Irish on this forum. You confirmed you send your B team away and at home. The welsh complained of it too, and they even said in the newspaper your league was sh.t.
                        So I don't see what's so difficult for your teams to win away against the scotts, the italians and the welsh. If we play in your league we will have a win rates bigger than of 33%. It's no really difficult to unterstand that.Yes we have 14 teams, but France is a big country, so we need more teams than England to develop the rugby here. Yes we lack of dates that's why we wanted to reduce the European Cup, but infortunately because of you, we failed to do it. We didn't want 20 teams but 16 (5 french, 5 English and 5 celtics+ 1 from amlin winner). We will allways develop our league (and the TV rights seems to prove we're right), and if in a future if we need to drop the European Cup to have more dates, we will probably do. Because our fans prefer the Top 14 to the H-Cup, and more importantly, because our clubs earn more money with it.
                        First of all, thank you for confirming that you only care about money and not rugby. I'd suggest you move to soccer.

Then simply hilarious. Bigger country so you need more teams. Would you then care to explain why you need to pillage the other countries, European or not? Cut down the amount of foreign players in your Top14, you will find out that 12 teams are more than enough to develop your players.
                        Funny though that with your big country and big amount of pro teams you seem not able to develop a single international standard n°10. You should further increase your amount of teams probably!

And since you won't make the effort I'll do it for you:
                        - away to Leinster: Jones, Earls, Laulala, Hurley, Zebo, Keatley, Murray, Kilcoyne, Varley, Botha, Foley, O'Connell, Stander, O'Donnell, Coughlan
                        - away to Scarlets: Zebo, VDH, Laulala, Hurley, Murphy, Keatley, Williams, Kilcoyne, Casey, Archer, O'Callaghan, Ryan, Stander, O'Donnell, Coughlan
                        - away to Ospreys: Jones, Conway, Laulala, Downey, Zebo, Keatley, Sheridan, Cronin, Casey, Botha, Ryan, Foley, O'Donnell, Dougall, Coughlan
                        - away to Ulster: Jones, O'Mahony, Laulala, Dineen, Conway, Keatley, Sheridan, Kilcoyne, Varley, Archer, O'Callaghan, O'Connell, O'Mahony, O'Donnell, Coughlan
                        - away to Dragons: Jones, VDH, Earls, Downey, Hurley, Keatley, Williams, Kilcoyne, Sherry, Archer, O'Callaghan, O'Connell, Holland, Stander, Coughlan

Heinkeken Cup regular starters are in bold in case the message is not clear enough.

And by the way, the lack of away wins does not mean your teams are better, or how do you explain that the best teams of the Top14 manage to lose away to bottom of the table teams? Clermont and Toulon lost away to Oyonnax, Montpellier and Toulouse lost away to Bayonne, just to give a few examples...

Do I need to add more facts to your "I don't have to make the effort"?
                        Last edited by ephileth; 18-April-2014, 14:45. Reason: typo
                        Good things happen to those who wait, though mostly much too late.

Comment

You can bold Foley by this stage, too.

Comment

He wouldn't play ahead of a fully fit Ryan, would he?

Comment

Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post
                              He wouldn't play ahead of a fully fit Ryan, would he?
                              Probably not, but he is a regular starter.

Comment

Excellent fishing Jos. Especially if English isn't your first language.
                                I am the million man.

Comment

Working...
                                X