Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Future of the Heineken Cup In Doubt?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bobbin View Post
    Not much different from here
    How many season ticket holders do Munster and Leinster have?

Have any English club ever used all of their HEC allocation for a group match?

Well funded, ambitious Sarries have just developed a ground that holds less than the terrace capacity alone at Thomond. 10,000 people. Two thirds the size of the ground we knocked down.

The gap is fairly sizable. Average prem gate last year was around 11,000.

Have a look here:

http://www.statbunker.com/rugby/btb/...tType=home_Att

Half the league could play in Musgrave Park on any given Saturday and not fill it. All the highest averages bar tigers are skewed by big showpieces at Twickenham or Wembley.

The gulf in club/provincial support between England and Ireland is massive.
    "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
      How many season ticket holders do Munster and Leinster have?

Have any English club ever used all of their HEC allocation for a group match?

Well funded, ambitious Sarries have just developed a ground that holds less than the terrace capacity alone at Thomond. 10,000 people. Two thirds the size of the ground we knocked down.

The gap is fairly sizable. Average prem gate last year was around 11,000.

Have a look here:

http://www.statbunker.com/rugby/btb/...tType=home_Att

Half the league could play in Musgrave Park on any given Saturday and not fill it. All the highest averages bar tigers are skewed by big showpieces at Twickenham or Wembley.

The gulf in club/provincial support between England and Ireland is massive.
      Back in Ireland I know tons of people who are either semi regular visitors to TP/MP or full season ticket holders and that goes over a lot of different social and income levels. I know that's anecdotal but Munster would have twice the support base, at least, of all but the largest of AP clubs when you look at ticket sales and visual attendance.
      To The Brave and the Faithful, Nothing is Unpublishable.

Comment

Just say the Tans get their way with the BT deal for a second. Where does that leave tv rights for non English games, Sky? And if so, do sky have the capability to block streams to just England over the rest of the UK when an English club is playing a Celtic Club?

If BT are looking to build a progressive relationship with the wider rugby community for future rights this is hardly the way about it, basically fully facilitating a completely malicious stroke by one party to the negotiation.

I think they've misjudged the market a bit too. They'll have to ask for serious premiums to finance deals like this, and I'm not sure how many households are able or willing to splash out on two sports subscriptions. As long as Sky are the primary premiership soccer holder, its hard to see BT making a major impact.
        "There are probably more annoying things than being hectored about African development by a wealthy Irish rock star in a cowboy hat, but I can't think of one at the moment"

Paul Theroux

Comment

I'd agree Busby. Sky made hay as the premium provider, but it's an unsustainable model with multiple providers.

The providers bid each other up and pass those costs on to the consumer. The consumer is faced with having to choose between providers, and ultimately paying more money for less premium content, because there's only so much sport to go around.

Whoever controls Prem Soccer has the pub market, which drives a lot.

It looks like a last man standing market that will crunch back to a monopoly eventually, because the premiums paid for the rights won't allow the providers to compete on cost to the consumer.

The other issue is that sky was happy to pay for sport as a loss leader. To get sky sports you had to take a package, buy a set top box or dish and so Sport didn't have to wash it's face entirely. It was delivering ad audiences to a lot of other channels.

Getting sky sports on a virgin package, where sky aren't making any more money out of you elsewhere, costs an arm and a leg.

I don't bother with sports channel subscriptions any more. I'll go to the pub for HEC and RTE games, watch alba and S4C at home.
          "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

BT Vision are in an odd spot I reckon. Relatively few subscribers, and an expensive committment. I suspect they'll end up doing some sort of deal with Sky.
            Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
            Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Originally posted by John Cooper Clarke View Post
              BT Vision are in an odd spot I reckon. Relatively few subscribers, and an expensive committment. I suspect they'll end up doing some sort of deal with Sky.
              Have to admit that, having had a look, I can't even work out what they are. Is it TV via broadband? Do they have a different set top box? Their website talks about getting Sky and ESPN over BT Infinity.

They've blown 9 figures on contract deals, and I can't even work out how I'd buy the ****ing yoke if I wanted to.

They will come acropper. BT as a business does not have the skills or the culture to manage this sort of consumer offering.

It's not even got a website, ffs. It's at

http://www.productsandservices.bt.co...ion-with-sport

Buried in the BT corporate site.

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
                Have to admit that, having had a look, I can't even work out what they are. Is it TV via broadband? Do they have a different set top box? Their website talks about getting Sky and ESPN over BT Infinity.

They've blown 9 figures on contract deals, and I can't even work out how I'd buy the ****ing yoke if I wanted to.

They will come acropper. BT as a business does not have the skills or the culture to manage this sort of consumer offering.

It's not even got a website, ffs. It's at

http://www.productsandservices.bt.co...ion-with-sport

Buried in the BT corporate site.
                I knew the Setanta crowd in London, lovely bunch but jebus there was no surprise when it all went tits up. But this BT stuff looks like the same sort of spoofing nonsense that they were up to.

Comment

Its a problem for all telcos. They know the huge amount of money coming in from bband is finite so they are all looking to value added services for new revenue streams. Eircom are about to do the same here with a tv offering later in the year.
                  with bband becoming almost ubiquitous, with 4g and now 5g coming on stream as well as the massive fibre rollouts, it will only be access to content that seperates them.
                  Unfortunately most of them know very little about delivering high quality content so id expect a few high profile failures leading to a much smaller market in the future.
                  Sky will be the winners long term.
                  The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
                  - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

BT Sport will be given free to BT Broadband customers, according to here

"BT today promised to return sport to grassroots fans as it revealed BT Sport will be free to any consumer BT broadband customer. This is the first time in more than 20 years that weekly live matches from the Barclays Premier League will be free to watch.

The three channels – BT Sport 1, BT Sport 2 and ESPN - will be packed with world class sport. There will be 38 live and exclusive football matches from the Barclays Premier League – including 18 ‘first pick’ matches - and up to 69 live rugby matches from the Aviva Premiership where BT will be the sole and exclusive broadcaster. There will be live football from several other top leagues around the world including Germany, France, Italy and Brazil. There will also be FA Cup ties, the UEFA Europa League, Scottish Premier League plus WTA women’s tennis and action from the UFC."

Comment

Loads of soccer and only AP rugby? Pass.

Comment

Plenty of doubt on radio four this morning about the finances.

Comment

Apparently there was an agreement in principle between English/French/Rabo teams for the HEC going forward from 2014-15. HEC goes from 24 teams to 20 (the top 6 from each league with a play-off system for the 7/8th of each league). The Amlin gets expanded with the 4 from the HEC dropping down. Also the winners of the HEC/Amlin do not get automatic qualification. There will also be a third tier competition involving teams for 6N B group. All of the above is still contingent on the English clubs turfing out Murdoch and going with BTVision.

Linkage
                          Last edited by The Word Is Born; 20th-May-2013, 20:50. Reason: Correction of 7/8th place teams
                          The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Interesting that it was the FFR that acted as go between. ERC will be moved from Dublin, one of Serge's paranoid fantasies at play there no doubt. If the French got the ERC HQ, a reduction in the number of teams and an earlier final date would they drop the English I wonder?
                            Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

Comment

Why would the think moving it from Dublin is a good idea, the corporate tax rate there is substantially lower than France.

Comment

What I can't fathom is the extra play-off games for the 7/8th teams of each league, how is that going to work? It's going to add another 2-3 weeks onto the season and can only be arranged once the French finish the Top14.
                                The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Working...
                                X