Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Future of the Heineken Cup In Doubt?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hellovating View Post
    with the french position unclear, their options might be...

RCC under 6 nations governance (with or without france)

or

nothing

Nothing to PRL & RRW = Anglo Welsh Aviva, if they can fight their way through the legal jungle.
    Cé go bhfuil an namhaid trampled underfoot mo thír, fhios ag an teanga d'aois na Breataine Bige aon Retreat. Evan James 1856

Comment

Originally posted by Point View Post
      No, the French clubs have signed up to whatever the FFR have signed up to. Anything else is posturing/face saving. That was part of the deal that allowed them to get their new PA in time to renegotiate their own TV deal.
      i'm not sure that is still the case, though it is unclear. the fira control and english participation still appear to be very important issues for the french. pissing off camou over fira has changed the game again. he's an opportunistic bugger, saw his chance to wrestle control of the 6n away from the "anglo saxons" after delivering french clubs for the erc.

that rugby paper article is very good.

Comment

Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post
        Am I the only one who wouldn't be enthused by a British and Irish league? Doesn't excite me in the least.
        are you enthused by the rabo? it's surely better that?.... swop out the italians and include the english and you have a worse tournament?

Comment

Originally posted by Owain View Post
          Nothing to PRL & RRW = Anglo Welsh Aviva, if they can fight their way through the legal jungle.
          even a hint of the Anglo Welsh Aviva, and the IRFU should be making phone calls to the prl.

Comment

The FIRA are Paris based the ERC is Dublin which is why the French want FIRA control all contracts etc in French ruled by French courts when the common language of 3 Unions is English and the most common in 4th (Ireland ) if I said it was the common language of Ireland some would object

Comment

i'm not sure that is still the case, though it is unclear. the fira control and english participation still appear to be very important issues for the french. pissing off camou over fira has changed the game again. he's an opportunistic bugger, saw his chance to wrestle control of the 6n away from the "anglo saxons" after delivering french clubs for the erc.

that rugby paper article is very good.
              Go for a search through this thread, T78 had put up an article from Midol which said the French clubs had signed up to the HC for the next 4 years.

If Camou is that opportunistic, he'll come back with an improved offer. I hope he does, as it is the right way to go for Rugby Union. Otherwise we'll end up with a glorified rugby league.

ps the Rugby Paper is a heap of crap, and a propaganda sheet for the PRL. I would at best ignore it, at worst, print it off and wipe my arse with it.

Comment

are you enthused by the rabo? it's surely better that?.... swop out the italians and include the english and you have a worse tournament?
                Why is it better than that? The Pro 12 could be better and more consistent but it produces the best rugby in Europe, no doubt. In general, though, I just don't see the attraction of playing against big but technically-limited English sides.

Comment

Originally posted by rumncoke View Post
                  The FIRA are Paris based the ERC is Dublin which is why the French want FIRA control all contracts etc in French ruled by French courts when the common language of 3 Unions is English and the most common in 4th (Ireland ) if I said it was the common language of Ireland some would object
                  It should be noted, when the "Anglos Saxons" were shamefully busy playing with themselves, the FFR were the only ones actively encouraging the smaller rugby nations.

Comment

Why is it better than that? The Pro 12 could be better and more consistent but it produces the best rugby in Europe, no doubt. In general, though, I just don't see the attraction of playing against big but technically-limited English sides.
                    100% agree, and it adds to the HC that we play teams from other leagues.

Comment

personally i look forward to games against the english sides much more than i do against the italians. might be just me, mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Point View Post
                        Go for a search through this thread, T78 had put up an article from Midol which said the French clubs had signed up to the HC for the next 4 years.
                        i've read lots of articles, from various sources, and there is serious doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by rumncoke View Post
                          I'm sure they would. But you also suggested that English is the common language of Wales, which it most certainly isn't in many parts of the country. A small but significant error. ;-)
                          Cé go bhfuil an namhaid trampled underfoot mo thír, fhios ag an teanga d'aois na Breataine Bige aon Retreat. Evan James 1856

Comment

Boudjellal threatening to take issue of salary cap and limit on non-nationally (french in this case) qualified players up with the EU commision. http://www.lequipe.fr/Rugby/Actualit...attaque/428597

Eventually something has to give, these guys are not going to be easy to put back in their box continuously. That's why I say, give them their capitalist, imperialist, liberal league for clubs. No salary cap, no limits on nationality, strike their own TV deals etc. etc. The only conditions should be 1) a limited number of teams (e.g. 12 or 14) and that it's based on playing merit & results. No sweet deals for underperforming welsh regions.

The unions should copperfasten the game domestically with their own club competitions based on their own rules and clubs with largely homegrown players. The IRFU can dabble in both - Leinster, Munster & Ulster are easily in the top 12 sides in Europe currently and will merit inclusion in any elite competition. Perhaps they can even afford to finance themselves if there is really enough money from TV etc - allow a little more room for quality NIQ signings to strenghten them. The celtic league becomes essentially the back up teams with purely home grown players playing Welsh/Scottish/Itallian opponents largely funded by the unions - this might sound arrogant but the reality is there mightn't be an inevitability about Irish winners in this situation as there is today. Welsh players would still grace the elite league but not as part of welsh regions but in quazi English & French sides and even the Irish sides could take a few of the handier Welsh & Scots.
                            Last edited by Mcork; 2nd-January-2014, 15:26.
                            Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again (like picking Gordon D'Arcy) and expecting different results.
                            Albert Einstein

Comment

personally i look forward to games against the english sides much more than i do against the italians. might be just me, mind.
                              Any English side? If so, I'd say it's probably more for the novelty and the fact it's the English than the quality of the rugby. Personally, I'd rather play Treviso or Dragons than London Irish or Sale. I mean, there are poor teams in the Rabo, but at least they have the inclination to look for space rather than contact. I mean Northampton are a good side with good players, but that Burrell lamper at 12 is now being touted for England based on his performance against Leinster. It boggles the mind.

Comment

Any English side? If so, I'd say it's probably more for the novelty and the fact it's the English than the quality of the rugby. Personally, I'd rather play Treviso or Dragons than London Irish or Sale. I mean, there are poor teams in the Rabo, but at least they have the inclination to look for space rather than contact. I mean Northampton are a good side with good players, but that Burrell lamper at 12 is now being touted for England based on his performance against Leinster. It boggles the mind.
                                ok, fair enough. we disagree.

just to clarify, i look forward to games against any english side, more than i do against any italian side.

the history of HC results between english sides and italian sides should answer any quality issues you might have with the english versus the italians.

Comment

Working...
                                X