Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Future of the Heineken Cup In Doubt?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah ****, the Outlaw is making sense.
    My computer thinks I'm gay
    What's the difference anyway
    When all the people do all day
    Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by sewa View Post
      I am simply saying there is no point in English clubs persisting with a model which doesnt work for them. Similarly we persist with a joke of a league, what part of this is confusing for you?
      The "joke of a league" bit for starters. Pretty good league now IMO, easily as good a product as the AP, and becoming stronger every year as the likes of Treviso, Glasgow and even our western brethren become more competitive.

The model can work for the English clubs if they stop trying to outspend each other and, like us, focus on developing their own talent. The French sugar daddies need to be reined in too. They're creating a two tier T14, which is bad for French rugby.

read my post above on sports business models if you want to understand my issues with following the flawed Anglo/French model. As football has shown, it ****s everything up. An NFL style model on the other hand, ensures profitability, sustainability and growth.

Comment

Originally posted by The Spoofer View Post
        Don't listen to this Quisling, this fifth coulumnist. He's over there and has taken the Soup.
        Nowt wrong with the soup :p
        Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

We wont know until they try and restructure and see if it works. Proceeding with crap like we do in Rabo wont fix anything
          I'm going to the RDS tomorrow to see a less than full strenght Leinster V's a less than full strenght Ospreys and I can't wait. It's top quality live rugby and wait until Sky take over the TV production. We will all be commenting on the improved quality of the games!

Comment

Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
            We're 12 years waiting for the Italians and Scots to get there house in order. The Scots is all self-created as the likes of Geechs and Telfer have said.

If the Italians won't even go to watch Zebre and Treviso play -what difference will it be if Leicester play Toulon?
            So we cut them loose, shrink the game and play with ourselves? That's a retrograde step, just as shutting down Connacht would be (that's Connacht who are subsidised in order to grow the game out wesht exactly as I described). You're the kind of fella that would pull the ladder up after you.

The Scots and Italians are far from perfect but in a sport which is only played in a handful of countries, we can't afford to jettison two of them.

Comment

Originally posted by The Spoofer View Post
              I'm going to the RDS tomorrow to see a less than full strenght Leinster V's a less than full strenght Ospreys and I can't wait. It's top quality live rugby and wait until Sky take over the TV production. We will all be commenting on the improved quality of the games!
              Its a jolly with your D4 mates. You probably wont even watch the game.
              Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
                We're 12 years waiting for the Italians and Scots to get there house in order. The Scots is all self-created as the likes of Geechs and Telfer have said.

If the Italians won't even go to watch Zebre and Treviso play -what difference will it be if Leicester play Toulon?
                The Italians didn't join the league until 2010. Since then, Treviso's results have gone: 10, 10, 7. Results going upwards. The last one finishing ahead of Connacht. With Glasgow in the playoffs.

Another Outlaw fact-check special.
                Last edited by Thomond78; 13th-September-2013, 14:22.
                Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

Its a jolly with your D4 mates. You probably wont even watch the game.
                  On a related topic. I listened, last season to one of Leinster's HC matches on Newstalk. One of the features of the commentary was spectators in the RDS texting the commentary team.

What was that all about?

Mind you, the "commentary" was more like two pals at the match having a chat and occasionally breaking off to tell us what had just happened rather than a proper commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
                    Think of the excitement every year when the draft approaches.
                    I was being frivolous but an NFL model could work.
                    At the moment if we take Munster for example have 22 pro12 games plus 6 Hcup games. Leaving play offs aside.

Substitute that for

Divide the current 3 leagues by 2 giving 6 conferences.
                    So in essence Munster could have one other Irish, 2 Welsh , 1Scot and 1 Italian team...eg Ulster Llanelli Cardiff Glasgow and Zebre.
                    Play them all home and away ..thats 10 games...plus we play the other 6 Pro12 teams (3 away 3 home)...thats 6 more games.

Then out of the other 4 Conferences ie Aviva north, aviva south top 14 north etc etc we play 3 teams from each meaning 12 games. These can alternate year on year much like hcup does anyway.

total 10 + 6 + 12 = 28.

And have championship play offs etc. Meaning you could still have Pro 12 title match...prem title etc...

Any way tis fantasy land...no harm in letting imagination wander once in a while.
                    "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
                      On a related topic. I listened, last season to one of Leinster's HC matches on Newstalk. One of the features of the commentary was spectators in the RDS texting the commentary team.

What was that all about?

Mind you, the "commentary" was more like two pals at the match having a chat and occasionally breaking off to tell us what had just happened rather than a proper commentary.
                      No idea, they are a different breed up there.
                      Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by NotreDameRFC View Post
                        I was being frivolous but an NFL model could work.
                        At the moment if we take Munster for example have 22 pro12 games plus 6 Hcup games. Leaving play offs aside.

Substitute that for

Divide the current 3 leagues by 2 giving 6 conferences.
                        So in essence Munster could have one other Irish, 2 Welsh , 1Scot and 1 Italian team...eg Ulster Llanelli Cardiff Glasgow and Zebre.
                        Play them all home and away ..thats 10 games...plus we play the other 6 Pro12 teams (3 away 3 home)...thats 6 more games.

Then out of the other 4 Conferences ie Aviva north, aviva south top 14 north etc etc we play 3 teams from each meaning 12 games. These can alternate year on year much like hcup does anyway.

total 10 + 6 + 12 = 28.

And have championship play offs etc. Meaning you could still have Pro 12 title match...prem title etc...

Any way tis fantasy land...no harm in letting imagination wander once in a while.
                        We can't use quite the same approach - the draft wouldn't work here for example - but we can adopt many of their principles e.g. ensure the weak get stronger and that nobody can buy success just by spending a sugar daddy's money etc.

Comment

Pin out, one, two, THROW, wait for bang. :D

Comment

Ah munsterboy is really losing it now, you cant force competition. If hypothetically speaking Limerick rugby gets in house in order and starts producing a bucket load of players like it used to we will be the best team in Europe again and no artificial attempts to level the playing pitch will stop it
                            Is stare into a phone

Comment

Agree re Draft Munsterboy...wouldnt work....but its the format im pondering more than anything else.

you'd have JJ being snatched up by Zebre :)
                              Last edited by NotreDameRFC; 13th-September-2013, 14:31.
                              "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

Comment

Ah munsterboy is really losing it now, you cant force competition. If hypothetically speaking Limerick rugby gets in house in order and starts producing a bucket load of players like it used to we will be the best team in Europe again and no artificial attempts to level the playing pitch will stop it
                                Right, now, biys, NOW we're senior hurling! :D

Comment

Working...
                                X