Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Future of the Heineken Cup In Doubt?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welsh Rugby is failing after fans failed to warm to regional rugby' - claims Pontypridd MP Owen Smith

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/r...h-says-6431714

And now the politicians have entered the row, as Owen Smith the Pontypridd MP intervenes.
    Cé go bhfuil an namhaid trampled underfoot mo thír, fhios ag an teanga d'aois na Breataine Bige aon Retreat. Evan James 1856

Comment

Originally posted by tafnat View Post
      Would I be right in thinking that it wasn't the RRW's cleverest move declaring the Rabo money that the Welsh stations pay vs the rest if the Welsh regions ended up staying in the Rabo?
      Ask the bbc at the next contract renewal meeting :D

These RRW lads are out of their depth imo. Plenty sharks in these waters and these guys seem to be minnows.
      I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Owain View Post
        Welsh Rugby is failing after fans failed to warm to regional rugby' - claims Pontypridd MP Owen Smith

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/r...h-says-6431714

And now the politicians have entered the row, as Owen Smith the Pontypridd MP intervenes.
        He has pro-Ponty form, I knew; didn't know he was Shadow Secretary for Wales.

The irony, of course, is that it's RRW themselves who have legitimised his entering the debate like this.
        Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomond78 View Post
          He has pro-Ponty form, I knew; didn't know he was Shadow Secretary for Wales.

The irony, of course, is that it's RRW themselves who have legitimised his entering the debate like this.
          Yup, we have now rewound the argument back to 2003, and are now arguing over the creation of the regions. Something that Pontypridd feel very aggrieved over, and here it raises it head again. This is getting more bizarre by the hour. I shudder to think what is going to come out next!
          Cé go bhfuil an namhaid trampled underfoot mo thír, fhios ag an teanga d'aois na Breataine Bige aon Retreat. Evan James 1856

Comment

Yup, we have now rewound the argument back to 2003, and are now arguing over the creation of the regions. Something that Pontypridd feel very aggrieved over, and here it raises it head again. This is getting more bizarre by the hour. I shudder to think what is going to come out next!
            It was always going to happen. As soon as RRW left the notion of three of the regions rebranding as they were in the Big 4 out, Ponty and others were going to go spare. Losing the Chief to sort out the region and then they want to flounce as Cardiff? Always going to lead to ructions.

All the more so because the utter, utter contempt shown by some of the more notable cheerleaders for the regions for the legitimate pride and sensibilities of those who sacrificed their hopes for the greater good is a criminal folly if you want to win their backing for your cause.
            Last edited by Thomond78; 19-December-2013, 13:50.

Comment

It's an interesting take, isn't it? "Give us complete freedom to do what WE want irrespective of what might be in the wider interests of Welsh rugby, but FFS make sure we don't actually have to stand on our own two feet and face the consequences if we can't."

One or the other, bois. Not both.
              this. exactly this is what i've been trying to explain to a few welshies elsewhere.

i went so far as to liken it to an 8 year old trying to sue his mother for the child allowance.

Comment

How is he regarded in France at the moment?

Generally he's regarded as an idiot, and the most critical people are from Perpignan.
                Otherwise: http://www.lequipe.fr/Rugby/Actualit...validee/426421
                The convention beetwen the FFR and LNR has been signed. The journalist doesn't speak about the H-Cup, but as it was a condition sine qua non, it can be deduced the French clubs will play it for 4 years at least.

Comment

Originally posted by diarm View Post
                  this. exactly this is what i've been trying to explain to a few welshies elsewhere.

i went so far as to liken it to an 8 year old trying to sue his mother for the child allowance.
                  That did make me smile, I know exactly what you mean, and wholeheartedly sympathise. They are a similar breed to the PRL supporter, but much less understanding.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Rugby union in Wales faces uncivil war as participation deadline looms

Protect and protest will be the theme of supporters as the regions have until the end of December to come to an agreement with the WRU amid the Heineken Cup saga

By Paul Rees !!

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/201...e-heineken-cup
                    So let me get this straight, Ireland, which claims to be looking out for the smaller nations in all this, demands that Italy pay them E1.2m a year just to let them play in the Rabo?

Puts a different perspective on the supposed threat to Italian rugby from the European cup plans of PRL.

Isnt that just a teensy little bit hypocritical? Just a tad?

Comment

Originally posted by tcm2007 View Post
                      So let me get this straight, Ireland, which claims to be looking out for the smaller nations in all this, demands that Italy pay them E1.2m a year just to let them play in the Rabo?

Puts a different perspective on the supposed threat to Italian rugby from the European cup plans of PRL.

Isnt that just a teensy little bit hypocritical? Just a tad?
                      At least its in the public domain unlike the BT contract/fantasy
                      clowns

Comment

Ah yes, public hypocrisy is so much better.

The moral high ground about opposing the RCC "for the good of the development of European rugby" just got blown away.

Comment

Originally posted by tcm2007 View Post
                          Ah yes, public hypocrisy is so much better.

The moral high ground about opposing the RCC "for the good of the development of European rugby" just got blown away.
                          Theres no such thing as RCC and never will be.
                          As for the high ground its not for me i just think the english clubs are greedy bastards and i would love to see them suffer for their lies.
                          clowns

Comment

How many more teams pay for the privilege to play in the Celtic League?

Comment

Originally posted by barleys chinos View Post
                              Theres no such thing as RCC and never will be.
                              As for the high ground its not for me i just think the english clubs are greedy bastards and i would love to see them suffer for their lies.
                              Or you could address the point. Your call.

Comment

The payment has been a matter of record for years. It was because Italy increased costs and had no broadcaster just after Setanta went pear-shaped. They now are negotiating for better terms: how bad, but that doesn't mean they're leaving.

If they can bring cash in, then they should certainly get a share. Not cutting our own throats and not cutting theirs in Europe are entirely compatible. It's a false dichotomy.

Comment

Working...
                                X